Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I haven't priced out Hilton Soi 24 in some time but HP is showing 2375++ which is significantly less than anything I can remember seeing at Hilton.
I have occasionally paid 2700++ at Millenium Hilton depending on dates (pre-paid, non-flexible). Usually lower than 3400++.

I would not go to HP to save only 300-1000 THB compared to a 5-star hotel where I can get free access to the executive lounge. That said, I do not think 2375 is mispriced - it is a similar price as the Aloft.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dw
That's my main complaint with old/historical hotels, where the doors often open up right into the room, near the bed. I'm a bit surprised that a new build would have this design, if even for only a small number of rooms.

The best design (which I've only seen at a few properties) is when hotels have a secondary door that closes between the main door, closet and bathroom area and the sleeping area.
However, many older hotels have double doors between the room and the corridor, either like the double doors that one sees between connecting rooms or a second door three to ten feet inside the room that separates the entry way or pantry from the main room.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I've stayed at the Hyatt Place a week ago on a one night stopover (damn Qatar Airways for their schedule changes) and liked it.
Upon arrival staff recognized me as they were working at the Grand Hyatt before (where I usually stay). As a Globalist I got drink voucher for the evening which I traded for two cans of Coke Zero from their pantry kitchen. The WiFi was very fast.

I received a large upgraded room (next to the elevator but I could hardly hear it) and also noticed the weird position of the door/bed.
My gf likes the Grand Hyatt location more but for a short stop the Hyatt Place is a good option.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I've stayed at the Hyatt Place a week ago on a one night stopover....Upon arrival staff recognized me as they were working at the Grand Hyatt before....
I could have written this word for word. Sadly said staff did not check me in.

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
As a Globalist I got drink voucher for the evening which I traded for two cans of Coke Zero from their pantry kitchen.
I received nothing of the sort. Nor did the fumbling FDC mention anything about my status.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
How far is it from a BTS station? Also, any problem explaining new location/hotel to a taxi driver?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
How far is it from a BTS station? Also, any problem explaining new location/hotel to a taxi driver?
It's right up the Soi from Phrom Phong BTS (behind the Emporium). Another Marriott and a couple of Hilton properties and several condos on that Soi already. It's a nice area dominated by the Emporium complex.

Just tell the taxi driver Sukhumvit Soi 24 near Emporium

I added HP Bangkok Sukhumvit to the map in my sig.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jan 4, 2018 at 11:00 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
Also, any problem explaining new location/hotel to a taxi driver?
You can use Uber or Grab where you can enter the destination address before and they can just look it up on their phone/map app.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:37 pm

I tried this hotel for a quick 1-night stay. I booked a standard king room and was upgraded to the view specialty king room, which is a bigger room at the end of the hallway. My room was looking just like the first picture shown in this thread by MatthewLAX. The large curved windows and the TV on a stand in the middle of the room reminded me a bit of the room at the Park Hyatt. I don't mean to compare the PH and the HP, but I am simply referring to the windows and the location of the TV in the room.

My room had a dehumidifier on the floor next to the TV - perhaps because on occasion the AC is not strong enough for the beaming sun in those windows. I found the room to be quite comfortable and the hardware at this hotel is very good for the price. My booking was made at the last minute for 2500 THB and overall I was pleased for what I got for that price. I did not try breakfast however. One odd thing is that they do not have a bellman. They only have the wheeled carts to carry the luggage and you need to do it yourself. I do not mind at all and in fact sometimes I do not want to disturb the hotel staff with my luggage. But I just found it unusual. Perhaps other travellers would not enjoy not getting the help to bring their luggage upstairs to their room.

This being a HP, I did not expect anything for happy hour. However we received a couple of drink vouchers - I was surprised. We did not use the vouchers. Most hotels that give a voucher would put an expiration date equal to the check-out date. The good news is that the expiration date on the vouchers is end of February 2018 so we'll be able to use the vouchers during our next stay, which is nice that they are flexible with the expiration date.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Have stayed here a couple of times since their soft opening. Have always enjoyed it for the price point. Pool is small. Breakfast is acceptable. As a globalist they have always upgraded me to King Suite. Drink vouchers good in the lobby bar or the roof top bar. Short 5 minute walk to BTS. Overall a great value for the money.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halothane
Have stayed here a couple of times since their soft opening. Have always enjoyed it for the price point. Pool is small. Breakfast is acceptable. As a globalist they have always upgraded me to King Suite. Drink vouchers good in the lobby bar or the roof top bar. Short 5 minute walk to BTS. Overall a great value for the money.
I've been meaning to post a review from my stay late December (and will do so soon) but 'king suite'? Are you referring to the xx01 rooms facing west? On the floors above the Aire Bar (28th) I believe there will be suites in time but they are not yet finished.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another stay and here's some thoughts.

They are continuing to open up the floors approaching 28 which is the bar. In late December they had me on the 21st floor, last night on the 24th floor. Some work noise during the day but not much. The AC units in the xx01 rooms have a difficult time keeping rooms cool during the day and have the potential to get frigid at night, everything remaining the same.

Staff is no longer wearing the purple 'pre opening' shirts but now have their uniform: women in a red shirt and men in white shirt with vest.

No elevator was out of order yesterday which is a plus as my previous stay were there was often one being serviced. With two sets of elevators, one G - 19 and the other from L - 33 if you're staying above the 19th floor (gym/pool) you need to take both sets of elevators and with only 2 elevators per set they can get bogged down at busy times or if an elevator is being serviced. So long as we're on the elevators, staff often use the main elevators and then defer from using an elevator which already has guests in it - which they don't know until the doors open up.

At breakfast they've added an egg station in the hot foods area while continuing to have an already cooked egg dish in the trays; often this is a fritata.

Glob drink coupon (1 per stay) now restricts options to house red or white wine, beer or house pour spirit and mixer. Previously it could be used for any drink on the menu in the Aire Bar.

Staff is generally very good and friendly and even some of the newer (read, non-GHE staff) recognized me with a 'welcomed back'.

My only gripe is when lugging a bag to/from BTS the sidewalks are awful.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm back here (can't beat 2200 Baht, 1000AA miles and 500 extra points). Drink coupon back to a wide assortment of drinks but breakfast has (not surprisingly) tumbled: a bowl of sweet, thick generic ketchup (instead of bottles of Heinz), chicken bacon (w t f is that even aside from being processed glop) in place of actual, real bacon and several veggie stir fries now encompasses what used to be a solid breakfast. The egg station is still present but this can be backed up with a huge line during peak times. Also the salad offerings were sparse. And they need to figure out ways for staff to recognize when a table has been abandoned vs the occupant simply getting food (or waiting on line for food) - staff is too eager to clear a table even during non-busy times.

I'll be back for another stay later in the week and will see if there is any kind of rotation on for breakfast foods.

Staff continues to be great especially during high volume checkout/check in times (in my case 1PM) with a group tour already lined up. Though I will concede I might get preferential treatment because the desk is staffed by many ex GHE staff.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:09 pm

Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

22/5 Sukhumvit 24 Khlong Tan, Khlong Toei Bangkok, TH 10110

Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit (8 Photos)

I stayed back in January for only 1 night just to see the hotel, and I have returned for 2 nights this time.  About 95% of the time in Bangkok I book a 5-star hotel, but for this stay I just needed a comfortable bed so HP was ok for this visit. I paid 2125 THB for HP which was a good price considering that among all options I typically look at (Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt), HP was the cheapest, with the second cheapest being Aloft at about 2400 THB and every other hotel was 2900 THB or more (4 Points, DoubleTree, Royal Orchid Sheraton, and Courtyard).  In addition, my dates were not confirmed until late so I needed a flexible reservation which was the case for HP, whereas for other hotels I suspect the quoted prices above were non-flexible so the price gap would have been even greater if I compared apples with apples (flexible rates).  I consider HP to be superior to Aloft and would be willing to pay a premium for HP so whenever it’s cheaper than Aloft then it’s a no brainer.    

Room

When I stayed back in January I was upgraded to a “view specialty” room (xx01); at that time the suites were not ready yet (still in construction).  This time, the suites were ready and I confirmed they were available on hyatt.com. Unfortunately I did not receive a suite upgrade as a Globalist.  I rarely stay at Hyatt Place anywhere in the world so correct me if I am wrong but I think suite upgrades are not a published Globalist benefit at HP, unlike Hyatt Regency, Grand Hyatt, etc. so I did not think I was entitled to a suite therefore I did not say anything at check-in regarding the lack of suite upgrade. The view specialty room is about 2000 THB more expensive than the entry level room so that would be the value of the Globalist benefit.  The suite is normally another 2000 THB on top of the view specialty room.  Anyway I found the room to be in as good condition as it was in January.  Everything new, modern, and functional.  There are convenient international power plugs and USB ports on each side of the bed. When I arrived in the room it was a bit hot, but if you move the temperature down in the evening the AC is working good enough to ensure a cool night.  The bathroom has an oversized shower which is a plus.  

20180606_053235.jpg20180606_053251.jpg20180606_053318.jpg

Gym

The gym is split in 4 separate rooms.  One room is for cadio with elliptical machines, treadmills, etc.  Another room is the weight room.  The last two rooms are for yoga, stretching, or using the large exercise balls.  

20180607_020546.jpg20180607_045902.jpg

Pool

The swimming pool on the 19th floor is small (and only 6 lounge chairs) but nice and clean. It is satisfactory for a limited service hotel.  

20180607_020647.jpg

Dining

We went to Aire Bar on the 28thfloor for happy hour.  They were kind enough to let us use our unused vouchers from January in addition to the new vouchers for our June stay.  The terrace is small but is a nice outdoor spot for drinks, which is good for a HP kind of hotel.  The Globalist free drink vouchers can be used for a choice of red, white, rosé, or sparkling wine, beer, Mojito, Sangria, and a few other choices.

20180607_063818.jpg20180607_064404.jpg

Overall

Overall I recommend this hotel for travelers on a budget who do not require a 5-star hotel.  However as a general rule, Bangkok is a city where the extra cost of a 5-star hotel over a 4-star hotel is not that much, which is why more often than not I do not want to stay in a hotel like HP in the city, even though HP is priced quite well relative to competitors such as Aloft, 4P, and DT. In addition, if you have elite status in a hotel chain (Hyatt or other), it makes even more sense to stay at a full service hotel where you have good odds of a suite upgrade and where you will have lounge access.  For example, I can sometimes find rates as low as 2700 THB (pre-paid) for Milllenium Hilton or Royal Orchid Sheraton.  Having the lounge and possibly a suite upgrade for only 600 THB more than HP makes it a better value proposition than HP.  For that reason, I will never be a regular at HP, but in specific circumstances, for my purposes HP remains an excellent choice at a good price for a 4-star hotel.  The service you will get will be well worth it.  I am looking forward to the Hyatt Regency to open later this year (website still says 3rdquarter of 2018) because Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt are overpriced in Bangkok, and for most of my stays, HP often does not provide exactly what I am looking for.  HR might end up being a better choice for Globalists at a modest price premium over HP – that remains to be seen.  In the same line of thought, I was told by staff that Hyatt is also planning further expansion in Bangkok beyond the Hyatt Regency (+ Andaz, + another HP in Sathorn). 

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Place Bangkok Sukhumvit?

No, thank you.
Yes
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Thank you for the update! I have three stays coming up this fall, where I hold approved ~THB1800 BRGs at ROS, and backup reservations at HP for THB ~2200-2500. As much as I dislike the ROS location, it sounds as though it'd be crazy to pick the (more expensive) HP over ROS (Hyatt Glob/Starriott Plat).
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
Thank you for the update! I have three stays coming up this fall, where I hold approved ~THB1800 BRGs at ROS, and backup reservations at HP for THB ~2200-2500. As much as I dislike the ROS location, it sounds as though it'd be crazy to pick the (more expensive) HP over ROS (Hyatt Glob/Starriott Plat).
It just so happens that I reviewed the ROS only one month ago so you might find the comparison useful to make your decision.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...thread-51.html

I can confirm that 1800 THB for ROS is a very low rate. I got 2100 THB BRG last month and that was the lowest I ever paid for that hotel.

Among the Starwood options, I have stayed several times at ROS, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Athenee, Westin, and Meridien. The highest odds of a suite upgrade among those 5 are at ROS. As a Platinum they will most likely give you a junior suite (55 sq m) which gives you more space than the specialty room at HP (37 sq m). You could always check a few days before your arrival on spg.com to make sure that suites are still available, but I would say in normal circumstances you should have a suite upgrade at least 2 stays out of 3, and I would not be surprised if you get it for all 3 of your stays.

The ROS is a much older hotel with rooms that will not wow anybody. The HP is a new modern hotel in a location you like better so I could understand someone who would prefer HP over ROS. However everything else tilts the scale in ROS's favor in my opinion: free breakfast in the restaurant (where ROS>HP), 3 hours free drinks in the Club Lounge, evening hors d'oeuvres, and a bigger room. All that for a much lower rate than HP. Unless you really care about having a new modern hotel, you cannot go wrong with ROS here. That's no knock on HP, but to be honest for 1800 THB at ROS with all those perks, it's hard to find a better deal anywhere in the city in that price range.
jpdx likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.