Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Are TSU's becoming increasingly worthless?

Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum

Planning a trip through Asia in about 8 weeks. I tried to use a TSU at 5 different hotels in Japan & Thailand. Not a single hotel had even 1 night available over a two week stretch. This seems to be getting ridiculous.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Sorry to hear that.

It seems that with any program, you have to request benefit upgrades well in advance, which is why Hyatt really needs to give more than a 12 month expiration on these TSUs if they aren't going to take the (more drastic) action of ensuring better availability. TSU's are the top-of-the-line benefit of globalist in my opinion and if they aren't usable, then the value of globalist above top status at other chains quickly diminishes.

(To add my experience today -- Was on AA looking for sAAver fares to Reno NV on a number of weeks between now and September. With a very rare exception, the only availability was within the last 30 days that you can actually book air tickets (mid Aug-mid Sept). I found tickets that work. And now? You can't get sAAver awards for those dates on that route. Award availability is just terrible).

Last edited by MarkOK; Oct 16, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
It seems they need to add a waitlist for these so that it works for those that are booking more closely in. I have managed to already use all 4 of mine for next year. Earned on 9/28 and called and applied to 4 reservations for Summer travel next year. Got it on all 4:

PH Tokyo
HR Waikiki
GH NYC
HR Boston
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:20 pm

Have not let one go to waste in 5+ years.
Dsm2m2 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vike
Planning a trip through Asia in about 8 weeks. I tried to use a TSU at 5 different hotels in Japan & Thailand. Not a single hotel had even 1 night available over a two week stretch. This seems to be getting ridiculous.
So you're visiting during peak holiday season but expect suites to be available only 8 weeks out?

I had no issue booking suites at several properties in Asia including PH Tokyo 6 months in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Booking at least 6 months in advance, I have easily used 20 or so TSUs over the past few years.

Failed only once--for a low interest trip I was fine cancelling.

Last edited by travelexpert; Oct 18, 2017 at 12:44 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Japan is going through fall foliage viewing season. Suites will be in high demand with full revenue guests.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Miles are also worthless because I can't fly to Hawaii over Christmas.

I am curious to see how things will play out next year, especially if the ranks of Globalists drop as precipitously as FTers seem to be threatening.

Like many responders, I rarely fail to use mine, and usually manage to apply them to 5-7 night stays.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
it is ridiculous to expect availability only 8 weeks out during a high peak season at your destinations!
i suggest you either use them elsewhere that is not high season, or book really early (6 moths out?)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Notwithstanding the flaming that you got from others here, I believe you are correct with your thread title.

I too have been unable to use even 1 TSU this year-And I do book 6 or more months in advance. I believe that many (not all) properties are gaming the system to make TSUs harder to use.

It has been very frustrating for me because at one property in Tokyo, where I have stayed continually for over 25 years (total of over 500 nights) and where, previously, I could always get a suite upgrade, I have been unable to use any TSUs this year. Many of my stays this year were during low demand times and suites were available for purchase on the website during check-in.

I sure wish there was a way to give these TSUs away.
gourmand73 likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 17, 2017 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It just seems highly variable. I had a period last year where I could not clear anything. Since then, I've had a nice run, including twice confirmed at PH Vienna and Andaz 5th.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
The fact alone that I can now use them on points bookings makes them much more useful for me than in the past. Have yet to let one go to waste.
gourmand73 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I find them hard to use myself and usually only can get 1 or 2 of my stays upgraded with them. As others said, if you can plan 6 months out you will have better luck, and if you want to put the time in researching/phoning and checking dates just to get a suite, you can probably find hotels that offer them and see if your dates can match up with the availability.

I too agree that using them on award stays is a huge improvement.

However they are not really much of a perk for this globalist. The real perk is the guaranteed breakfast and or lounge access. So I just keep it all in perspective.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
My main point is regarding hotels gaming the system to prevent easy usage. All the hotels I tried actually had suites available for sell, but the entry-level suite that a TSU would book into was not available. BTW, on two of these hotels I have been checking for the last several months and am reporting now, eight weeks out, nothing is available. Of course, I could always get lucky and get into one on check-in. Also, is Dec 2-18 considered high-season in Asia?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
The fact alone that I can now use them on points bookings makes them much more useful for me than in the past. Have yet to let one go to waste.
Can you now use them on pure point stays? I don't see that in the T&C. And the agent I spoke to said you have to do P&C (as does my concierge).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.