Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

First time in Japan - which Hyatt property is the best for me?

First time in Japan - which Hyatt property is the best for me?

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I agree. It is certainly much better and classier than the New York Grill at the PH, which gets a lot of unearned kudos and publicity IME.
The New York Grill, except for the amazing view and that the bar is great for smoking a good stogie, isn't really that much a destination. The food is pretty pedestrian, and expensive as all hell.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
the Tokyo Hilton (which I like better than any of the Hyatts)
Agreed. Now THERE's a lounge.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
And the biggest irony of it all is that the best restaurant at any of the Hyatts in Tokyo is at the HR. The Cuisine Michel Troisgros is an outstanding restaurant.

Andaz Tavern has very agreeable prices and well done European Japanese cuisine. Decent views too of the Skytree as well.

I'd stay at Andaz or PH if it was my first and only time to Japan. FAR superior experience to the HR and GH.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 10, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Aventine
[/s]

Andaz Tavern has very agreeable prices and well done European Japanese cuisine. Decent views too of the Skytree as well.

I'd stay at Andaz or PH if it was my first and only time to Japan. FAR superior experience to the HR and GH.
But I wouldn't go out of my way to eat at the Andaz Tavern. There are better restaurants in the lower floors of the same building...

As to where to stay, the Andaz would be my favorite, followed by the PH. But value for money the HR is probably the best deal.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I love the Andaz. Always clean, everything functions, modern design, and fantastic shower. Staff is excellent.

We also liked the HR Kyoto, but it is not 5-star.

Looking forward to trying the Hyatt Centric Ginza, whose GM was formerly at the Andaz.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I have stayed at the Westin in Kyoto and would not recommend it. It's just a sad looking mega hotel with dated looks. Much better to go for a ryokan in Kyoto for a more authentic experience. I see that you are SPG platinum, so you are Marriott platinum too. Consider staying at the Ritz in both Tokyo and Kyoto. They are both gorgeous.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:35 am

If it’s your first time, maybe you should stay at the PH anyway, for the experience. Everyone should stay there at least once, as it is an iconic hotel.

Then you should stay in Kyoto. You don’t have enough time for anything more than that on a one week trip.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Looking at the HR or SPG Luxury collection prince gallery hotel.... thoughts? Will have club level at both properties.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lots
I don't go to Tokyo to spend time in some crappy hotel lounge, and neither should the OP, especially a first-timer. Both the HR and GH lounges are pretty pathetic for their hotel categories, and I don't think I've been in either of them in a long time, except maybe for a quick candy stop or to check out/in.

But I do agree with the view that the HR is the best value for money in terms of price and location. The worst is the GH. The PH is a very good hotel (down from outstanding earlier in its history) but the distance from the station and transport is actually quite long relative to the HR. My favorite is definitely the Andaz all around. No lounge, but excellent breakfast, better than the PH, which is pretty good.
Fair enough but seven days in Japan can also be pretty pricy to eat out for every meal. Not to mention after a few days of any cuisine I get bored and am ready for a change. Having the option of breakfast or a light meal in the lounge on the odd day can be nice when one doesn't feel like trying to find somewhere to eat. At the HR that aint going to happen.

I would absolutely disagree though that the GH is the worst location wise. I find the neighborhood much more interesting than the area around HR and it's pretty much a wash as far as access to a Metro. I guess I just don't find much point to the HR. Sure the price is good but the Hyatt benefits are mostly non existent so might as well stay at an independent property with more character unless you're desperate for stay credit.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kar don
Looking at the HR or SPG Luxury collection prince gallery hotel.... thoughts? Will have club level at both properties.
The Koicho Prince is in another league than the HR. I'd go with the SPG property unless you need Hyatt stays.
kar don likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IggySD
Fair enough but seven days in Japan can also be pretty pricy to eat out for every meal. Not to mention after a few days of any cuisine I get bored and am ready for a change. Having the option of breakfast or a light meal in the lounge on the odd day can be nice when one doesn't feel like trying to find somewhere to eat. At the HR that aint going to happen.

I would absolutely disagree though that the GH is the worst location wise. I find the neighborhood much more interesting than the area around HR and it's pretty much a wash as far as access to a Metro. I guess I just don't find much point to the HR. Sure the price is good but the Hyatt benefits are mostly non existent so might as well stay at an independent property with more character unless you're desperate for stay credit.
At the risk of taking this OT, you can have a perfectly good breakfast or light meal for JPY 1-2K, absolutely no problem. Lunch in Japan is the best value for money ever, no need to hang out in some mediocre lounge and pass on the opportunity.

I actually think the GH has a good location. It's just an outstandingly mediocre hotel for the price point, location notwithstanding.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Aventine
The Koicho Prince is in another league than the HR. I'd go with the SPG property unless you need Hyatt stays.
No, I am so far away from hyatt stays... only 5 stays from re-qualifying spg plat. Hows the location of the prince?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by kar don
No, I am so far away from hyatt stays... only 5 stays from re-qualifying spg plat. Hows the location of the prince?
It’s a great location. If you’re five stays away from spg Platinum, I would definitely go for that. They have great properties in Japan, too.

Don’t forget that spg Platinum now matches to Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum, so that status is very good to have if you’re close to achieving it.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:18 am

At the risk of taking this OT, you can have a perfectly good breakfast or light meal for JPY 1-2K, absolutely no problem. Lunch in Japan is the best value for money ever, no need to hang out in some mediocre lounge and pass on the opportunity.

I actually think the GH has a good location. It's just an outstandingly mediocre hotel for the price point, location notwithstanding.
I totally agree on all points. And there are many exceptional lunch deals in Japan, so I agree that it’s a shame to be hanging around in an hotel club lounge too much. I love Ritz-Carlton’s club lounge, but never use it in lieu of a proper meal somewhere for dinner or lunch.

The GH lounge is just awful. And I know you probably hate it even more than I do, which really is impressive.

The GH was a great value when Diamonds could get upgraded to Executive suites, some of which have great views. That is no longer the case. It’s overpriced at published rates, and is only an attractive option for people with low corporate rates these days IMO, otherwise one can do MUCH better.

GH does a good job with F&B with the notable exception of the infernal French Kitchen and China Room.

Indeed, HR’s Michel Troisgros restaurant is the best Hyatt restaurant in Tokyo. It of course is not managed by Hyatt though.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
I would strongly suggest that part of the draw of Japan is the service culture, and experiencing the high end hotels is something unlike what you are likely to experience anywhere else.

The Park Hyatt Tokyo is a bit dated, but it still has excellent service. I would suggest using a TSU certificate to guarantee a suite here, as the standard rooms are a bit unimpressive by today's standards. The Sauna area of the PH Tokyo is very nice.

IMHO, The Grand Hyatt is in a better location than the PH Tokyo which is quite far from the subway, and is still a fairly nice property, but overall I don't remember the property that much, which probably isn't saying much for it.

I never stayed at the Hyatt Regency or Andaz, so cannot comment.

I did however also stay at the Conrad Tokyo, which I honestly preferred to the PH Tokyo, and found the hotel to be clean, modern, elegant, the service to be excellent, the access to the subways to be very convenient (once you figured out all the skybridges/tunnel levels) very futuristic part of town. Also had a great spa.

As far as breakfasts ... I've enjoyed the Conrad Tokyo and PH Tokyo breakfasts a lot, and prefer to have a breakfast before I head out for the day, and as a SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, and Hilton Diamond, I consider the breakfast to be part of what I am paying for, but to each his own.

Last edited by some dude; Oct 12, 2017 at 10:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.