Community
Wiki Posts
Search

www.hyatt.com - Access Denied

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

www.hyatt.com - Access Denied

After a minute or so of (manual) searches for a rates and dates at one particular property, hyatt.com suddenly gives me this

and from then on, I'm not able to access any pages at the site, as everything from https://www.hyatt.com and https://world.hyatt.com/ on down gives me "Access Denied"

Did I get put on the soon-to-be-ex-Glob blacklist when they noticed I'm not chasing those 60 nights to requalify?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Do you click around fast? Maybe they identified you as a robot.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Happens to me all the time. I just use the mobile app nowadays.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Perhaps they knew you would start another thread vs posting in the stick above for website problems. Hmm.

Its a ploy on the part of hyatt. Totally.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:32 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
been discussed multiple times here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ms-thread.html
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Do you click around fast? Maybe they identified you as a robot.
Access Denied seems a pretty poor response to that. If they think I'm a bot how about they send me a captcha?

By the way, just checked again, and I'm still blocked.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I usually get that page when I am using a VPN (for security reasons or whatever), but in your case it seems to be a response to the system thinking you are a robot scraping rates...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:36 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Access Denied seems a pretty poor response to that. If they think I'm a bot how about they send me a captcha?

You could try from a different IP address. (Or use an IP address spoofer, many are available for free online).

On the commercial websites with which I'm involved, there is NO chance that a human (no matter how fast he/she clicks) would ever be mistaken for a bot.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Try a different browser.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.

Sure, they could have/should have given a captcha instead if that is the case. I am no IT guru so this is nothing more than a layman's uneducated hunch, but my gut feeling was that you tripped some wire in their system to prevent software from scraping rates.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

(All in original browser) it appeared the block dropped a couple of hours later, I was able to retrieve https://world.hyatt.com/ I tried to log in, that worked, got my Glob welcome page and points total. Went for dinner.

Came back, tried to search for availability - at the same property as the original searches - my *first* search attempt returned Access Denied, and I was completely banned again. Couldn't even retrieve https://www.hyatt.com/

Opened a private browser, that made everything OK again. Signed into WoH again, no problem. Poured a beer, glared at screen ... clicked in the search box, entered property and dates ... <boom> banned again.

Oddly enough, there are plenty of Other Fine Hotels in the city where I need a room. Why is Hyatt making this so hard?

For the more technically-minded folk: if Hyatt have a valid Globalist account logging in from my IP address, why in hell's name are they banning that IP for such ludicrously low levels of "rate scraping"? I looked at one property for one night for four or five dates within one calendar week. Most of this was in the same browser session too! If you want to block - or slow down - bots, there might be ways to do it. This really isn't one of them.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
<boom> banned again.
We're assuming that Hyatt I.T. has a level of sophistication that they just plain don't possess. I'd chalk this up to the normal everyday I.T. glitches, rather than any attempt to block certain kinds of traffic.

Hyatt outsourced their web work for years. Recently, they're trying to bring it all in-house. They really, seriously, honestly, absolutely need to invest in automated testing software. A good test suite can exercise every section of their code base. If anything fails, they'll know exactly WHAT failed. They can test a new release before it's installed ... then test it again immediately after it's installed. The site can be proven in mere seconds.

It makes sense to bring in a consultant to initially set up a test suite. That way, it gets set up correctly and also within our lifetime.

I have no idea why we're having this conversation on FT. The conversation really needs to be had with Hyatt I.T. Perhaps I'll contact them again, except I'm kinda busy. I'm willing to bet there are at least 100 qualified professionals within the ranks of Hyatt elite. One of them seriously needs to make a move toward helping Hyatt I.T. fix their long-standing issues, once and for all.

Last edited by CloudCoder; Sep 7, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've had this happen a few times while doing repeated searches looking for different date and rate combinations. But, it doesn't last more than a couple minutes and clears when I start the search over.

Any chance you are using a VPN? The VPN IP could be blacklisted.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I'm having the same issue for the 1st time. It concerns be since I see a charge on my credit card that I did not recognize.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I had this issue last week. It seemed to happen when I logged out of my Hyatt account and tried to log back in. Try to remove all of the Hyatt.com cookies in your browser. This seemed to fix the problem for me in Chrome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.