Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

BWI-IAD-DCA Cheap Prices Mattress Run for the 20 night Globalist Challenge?

Old Sep 4, 17, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say

So I'm a former longterm Diamond, couldn't requalify under the WOH new rules (say it in Bill Maher's voice), and let it go. However, I've now just signed up for the Chase credit card and the 20 x night challenge.

Trust me "real" (60-night) qualifiers, I feel your pain. Hilton (who I switched to) are doing a new promotion where as a 3-year Diamond, you fill in a form and get a free re-qualification in 2018, I feel ahem a little miffed about that one since I qualified the old fashioned way...

Anyway, I remember a few years ago several of us were posting when we found cheap prices in the BWI-National-Dulles range as did the stay a night get a night or something like that... for me it yielded a couple of PH nights after a couple of $99 nights in the DC area. Wow. Good old days.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling: plenty of Hyatt's showing availability in NoVa for tomorrow, starting at $71 here

Post Your Bargains!

Last edited by yaromac; Sep 4, 17 at 5:02 pm Reason: add content
Old Sep 5, 17, 3:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Personally I don't know why you'd spend $1500-2000 for Globalist-lite. (and that's assuming that you can find 20 nights at $70+tax) No suite upgrades, no free night certificates. Globalists aren't actually receiving a whole lot more if-available suite upgrades (than Diamonds already used to receive) and of course the amenities (points, etc.) are long gone. So... upgrade lottery and free breakfast/lounge is basically what you'd be getting. You can replicate that by just paying for it during your 2018 Hyatt stays for less than $2k surely.

As bad as WoH is, at the very least there is a clear distinction between "real Globalists" and fast-trackers.

That said, I don't think there's any substantial movement in the "cheap Hyatts". IAD, DFW and ATL at weekends. Vegas mid-week. Arizona in the summer, Category 1 hotels on P+C etc. .
Old Sep 5, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I stay in DMV area all the time as I work there. I usually use C&P so that I can stay midweek for $50-$55 a night plus points. Still get credit for the $ portion and still counts towards qualification. The lack of promotions this year is a big hit to this kind of scheme though. Midweek Hyatt, Hyatt House, and Hyatt Place are generally north of $120 in this area. They can get down in the $71 dollar range on weekends, but I have not seen that much recently unless you book 6 months or more out like I do.
Old Sep 5, 17, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Good reminder as I will be in DC next month and the airport rates are often quite cheap.

That being said, it is much harder to justify the mattress run without the upgrade certs, which are easily worth $$$$ to me (eliminates the expense of a second room for family trips).

10 nights = $700, which is too much for non-guaranteed upgrades.

Assuming 5 nights @$70 = $350 - that would probably cover what we typically spend on vacation breakfasts at Starbucks, etc.

The free breakfasts are not a huge perk for business trips as they are often included in the negotiated rate or I can simply expense them.
Old Sep 5, 17, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Plus if it's free breakfast you are after, just pay $75/year for the AMEX Surpass and have Hilton Gold which will get you that.
Old Sep 6, 17, 5:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Plus if it's free breakfast you are after, just pay $75/year for the AMEX Surpass and have Hilton Gold which will get you that.
I don't think there's a single poster on the Hyatt board that prefers Honors Gold to Hyatt Globalist, even the "lite" version.

But indeed if breakfast is your priority, doing 60 nights, or even just 20, is rather silly.
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:31 am

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, UAL 1K
For me, the vast majority of my business travel in international, so its primarily about lounge access and a continued top tier elite relationship that I've formed with a number of a the properties I frequent. In the US, I just don't see enough differentiation as a glob/dia that I am motivated to requalify any longer after 10 years.

The move to 60 nights vs 25 stays basically has caused me to give up on WoH. Yes, I've registered for the 20 night credit card deal, but I'm not going out of my way to qualify. If it happens, it happens.

The ironic thing is that I've already given close to 20 nights of stays to other brands so far this year because they were more convenient vs my behavior over the past 10 years where I would have gone out of my way to stay at Hyatt's. Their promo is likely too late for me at this point.

Also, these were not mattress run or cheap Hyatt Place stays. These were Park Hyatt Vienna and Grand Hyatt Shenzhen stays that they lost + multiple expensive dinner meetings that went to Intercontinental and Ritz instead.

I was lamenting my frustration to a sr. manager at a US property that I have a long term business relationship with last week and he admitted the short sightedness of the new policies and is offering to do all he can to keep me, but I'm less than motivated to going out of my way.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: