Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MarkOK
It's pretty clear that the 55 night re-qualification is a benefit given from staying 60 nights (or earning 100,000 base points) -- it's not a benefit given with status.

https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...=woh_globalist

Similarly, current globalists need 60 nights, not 55 nights this year (they are globalists, but they did not earn 60 nights last year with WoH, because it didn't yet exist).
I don't necessarily disagree with your assertions (excepting the 'it's pretty clear' portion) however your link does not support your claims.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:21 am

You know that a program is screwed up when current top tier elites are unable to even figure out what the requalification criteria is
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I was told that if I refer to the T&C, which read,

"A Hyatt Credit Cardmember may earn Explorist or Globalist status in the World of Hyatt program through February 2019 by completing a specified number of Tier-Qualifying Nights (as defined in the World of Hyatt program terms, available at worldofhyatt.com/terms.) at any participating Hyatt hotel or resort worldwide."

that the last part of that sentence specifically says "any participating Hyatt hotel or resort worldwide" thereby limiting the promotion to Hyatt properties only (and excluding MLife stays).

It would be so much better if this weren't the case.
I believe you were told this--do you recall precisely who told you it? If it was simply a call center rep, I wouldn't put much stock in it.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Where the Hell is the "Hyatt Concierge" to help resolve these issues? I was told twice incorrectly that current Globalists are EXCLUDED from this offer and when they finally decided I was INCLUDED, I was given only 60 days in which to consume 20 nights with no further consideration or credits toward that ridiculous requirement. Guest Relations urged me to do my best to reach 20 nights to show "Good Faith", to Appeal if I fall short, but specifically stated they would not guarantee that such appeal would be acted upon favorably. No thank you, please, I'll just wait for the next inevitable Status Match
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I don't necessarily disagree with your assertions (excepting the 'it's pretty clear' portion) however your link does not support your claims.
The link shows specific benefits for globalist, and specific benefits based on when you hit a certain number of nights. The terms and conditions can be read in more than one way, the 'summed up' charts and tables though make a clear delineation. To me, it is perfectly clear. WOH has certain benefits given to globalist -- Late check-out, upgrade to suites if available, club lounge access or free breakfast, waived resort fees, waived parking on reward nights.

And THEN they have certain benefits given to those that stay 60 nights or get 100,000 base points --- Cat 1-7 certificate, 4 TSUs, Hyatt Concierge, and the ability to requalify at 55 nights next year.

I really don't know why this part is so hard for some people. Personally, I think they are being quite smart and rightfully so to separate some of their most expensive bennies from 'status', so that when they do this cc promo, or a status match some day, etc, they aren't having to give out everything they give out to actual frequent-guests of their hotels. This year, I will have about 38 nights, and will get globalist from this offer mid December. Great! Next year, I will have free breakfasts at the full service hotels and about 350$ waived in resort fees. Makes the extra 5 nights I have to matress run this fall worth it. And next year, I will have about 70 nights, I fully expect to requalify at 60 nights (Early september) which is when I will also get my benefits that only come with 60 nights like Hyatt Concierge and the ability to only need 55 nights in 2019 to requalify for globalist.
markko likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Much to my chagrin, both Twitter and call center.

Originally Posted by DaveH
I believe you were told this--do you recall precisely who told you it? If it was simply a call center rep, I wouldn't put much stock in it.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Maybe, but perhaps the margin was just too low for Hyatt to keep chasing. Most companies who make 25% profit margins will never chase business that only makes them 10% margins. Hyatt saw that Marriot was making 25% profit margins by not having short-cuts to top status based on stays and said they were tired of giving their best to customers that were staying with them half as much. Sure, maybe you make -some- money on each customer that stays 25 times and 30 nights, but the costs in free nights through points, breakfasts, suite upgrades, concierge service (etc) probably made those customers not really all that valuable when all is said and done. Though we like to think that when we spend $200 that we are worth $200, there are real costs for each customer in terms of breakfasts/lounge stuff, utilities, labor, consumables, etc.

If you raise your margin on your best customers from 10% to 25%, you can afford to lose some of them and still come out ahead. (my numbers are of course made off the cuff, but you get the point).
Not really... while targeted im getting SPG platinum for pretty much the exact same nights as Hyatt, AND its with full benefits (SNA) not some globalist lite.

Thanks to this promo, will be globalist and plat for next year, then figure out which program to target, or do the exact same strategy down the line and wait till Q4.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:48 pm

Maybe, but perhaps the margin was just too low for Hyatt to keep chasing. Most companies who make 25% profit margins will never chase business that only makes them 10% margins. Hyatt saw that Marriot was making 25% profit margins by not having short-cuts to top status based on stays and said they were tired of giving their best to customers that were staying with them half as much. Sure, maybe you make -some- money on each customer that stays 25 times and 30 nights, but the costs in free nights through points, breakfasts, suite upgrades, concierge service (etc) probably made those customers not really all that valuable when all is said and done. Though we like to think that when we spend $200 that we are worth $200, there are real costs for each customer in terms of breakfasts/lounge stuff, utilities, labor, consumables, etc.
Conceptually, I think you may have a point. You can't blame a chain for trying to chase higher value customers, whichever way they see fit.

The problem is that promos such as this (and the other 20-night one aimed at certain global corporations) are, at least in my opinion:

(i) completely inconsistent with the intention behind moving to a higher threshold;
(ii) is a slap in the face of those who, for one reason or the other, decide to slog their way towards the new thresholds; and
(iii) just another aspect of the disjointed and confusing transition away from what used to be a perfectly good program.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
The link shows specific benefits for globalist, and specific benefits based on when you hit a certain number of nights. The terms and conditions can be read in more than one way, the 'summed up' charts and tables though make a clear delineation. To me, it is perfectly clear. WOH has certain benefits given to globalist -- Late check-out, upgrade to suites if available, club lounge access or free breakfast, waived resort fees, waived parking on reward nights.

And THEN they have certain benefits given to those that stay 60 nights or get 100,000 base points --- Cat 1-7 certificate, 4 TSUs, Hyatt Concierge, and the ability to requalify at 55 nights next year.

I really don't know why this part is so hard for some people. Personally, I think they are being quite smart and rightfully so to separate some of their most expensive bennies from 'status', so that when they do this cc promo, or a status match some day, etc, they aren't having to give out everything they give out to actual frequent-guests of their hotels. This year, I will have about 38 nights, and will get globalist from this offer mid December. Great! Next year, I will have free breakfasts at the full service hotels and about 350$ waived in resort fees. Makes the extra 5 nights I have to matress run this fall worth it. And next year, I will have about 70 nights, I fully expect to requalify at 60 nights (Early september) which is when I will also get my benefits that only come with 60 nights like Hyatt Concierge and the ability to only need 55 nights in 2019 to requalify for globalist.
What is the value of the 55-night re-qualification given it's clearly worthwhile to hit 60 instead of 55?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by JackE
What is the value of the 55-night re-qualification given it's clearly worthwhile to hit 60 instead of 55?
You get a card with the text Globalist highlighted. Some people seem to value such things.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by JackE
That brings up a point that I don't think Hyatt has made clear enough.

Is 55 nights going to be equal to 60 for those eligible, or is it just giving an extension of status?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by stargold
The problem is that promos such as this (and the other 20-night one aimed at certain global corporations) are, at least in my opinion:

(i) completely inconsistent with the intention behind moving to a higher threshold;
(ii) is a slap in the face of those who, for one reason or the other, decide to slog their way towards the new thresholds; and
(iii) just another aspect of the disjointed and confusing transition away from what used to be a perfectly good program.
As to (i) == Yes, I agree, there is a thread of inconsistency. What is Hyatt wanting to do, Make globalist a smaller elite group or just hand it out? I think though that this is their plan all along and part of why they made their demarkation between globalist status and benefits from hitting 60 nights. That way, they can give out top status as freely as before and as other chains through promos and status matches, but they aren't going to have to give up 4 TSUs and pay for a concierge for all those people anymore.

(ii) This I mostly disagree with. People who slog their way to 60 nights are getting more benefits than anyone getting a short-cut status. Now, we all may value those 60 nights benefits differently -- I have seen some mention the TSU's are 'worthless' to them. But for me, slogging to 60 next year is going to be worthwhile because when I travel with the family, I want a confirmed suite upon booking (case in point: I am paying about 3K next year extra in costs to upgrade to suites with cash when I am bringing the kiddo along. I am not willing to gamble to getting free upgrades at checkin when that kind of space is needed to make a trip pleasant for everyone. In 2019, the TSUs will be worth so much to me I don't care who Hyatt gives glob lite too).

(iii). yeah, Hyatt's rollout isn't smooth. But I prefer the new program compared to the old one (since I only have 5-10 stays a year, the 'welcome amenity' loss and 25 stay-requirement didn't mean nearly as much to me as free cat1-7 and the other fringe benefits gained).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Current Glob. Got the CC offer for 20 nights. Just finished my 20 nights, and just got the email "Welcome to another year of Glob[lite]". Account updated to reflect Glob[lite] through Feb 2019.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DOS ALTO
Where the Hell is the "Hyatt Concierge" to help resolve these issues?
You need to summon them like this: @World of Hyatt Concierge
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
You get a card with the text Globalist highlighted. Some people seem to value such things.
LOL ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.