Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Nice to chalk up all those HP/HH stays for free nights and suite upgrades in Europe. Must be selling a lot of shower curtain rings!
I should go back and look at my last several year stay pattern to come up with the percentage of stays across the Hyatt brands. I have a favorite HH in Redmond I used a lot because I was training for a marathon and staying right on a running trail was the main driver. Now that I'm not training, I've varied my stay patterns. But the other main driver for HP is the Tier 2 cities I have to visit. That is where you first started with the shower curtain ring statement after I stated the HP Verona, WI was top notch. I think I will double down on this statement and say that many of the new HP's being built are better and setup more as a conference type hotel rather than simply an airport overnight style hotel.

Also, I haven't stayed at the HP in Saint Paul, MN but from what I read, its pretty nice. You go on say what you want, I'll reach Glob again, continue to get complimentary suite upgrades, get 4 more TSUs, and more free night certs and you can do what you want. Maybe you should check out Wyndham.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Is this worth mattress running on your own dime?

Even if it's possible to just book cheap rates (@$50) at cat 1 hotels, and check in and out using the app without actually having to set foot inside the hotel for qualifying nights, is it.worth it? I can't even see myself doing the 5 brand mattress run for a free cat 1-4 night. It seems like it would be better to just buy the points during 40% bonus promotions, then use them to get the desired benefits, if it takes more than 5 nights to get to the next elite level. I only had 3 nights booked anyway during the qualification period.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I had dinner with a frequent traveler friend (inactive FTer) in Hong Kong last night; he had Hyatt Diamond for the past decade-ish, with 25-ish stays and 35-50-ish nights (varied by year). He typically had to "stretch" to get to 25 stays, but that often meant 3-5 weekend staycations at GH Macau (so we're talking US$250/night, not $65 HPs). He's based outside the US and has no SSN, so has no access to the credit card. He has written to Hyatt and received no meaningful response (apparently Hyatt China's response is, direct your query to Hyatt US).

What I don't get is this: So Hyatt has somehow determined that these people aren't good enough for top tier status, and expressed that in the new WoH requirements. Fair enough. But then enough former Diamonds walk away in masses, and we see these panicky 20 night promos. Why in the world would Hyatt not run a simple query of former Diamonds residing abroad and extend the same offer? Yes, these folks are not spending $20k annually, but $5-8k, or maybe more in good years. Making an attempt to retain them can't be such a bad idea.

Seriously, Hyatt, hire an intern who knows how to query your database and invite those former Diamonds to join the 20 night promo!
SanDiego1K, OsakaWino and Aventine like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by jpdx
these folks are not spending $20k annually, but $5-8k, or maybe more in good years. Making an attempt to retain them can't be such a bad idea.

Seriously, Hyatt, hire an intern who knows how to query your database and invite those former Diamonds to join the 20 night promo!
During my 5 years as a 25-stay qualifier we never had fewer than 40 nights/year and certainly never less than US$8K spend, usually US$10-12K. Not eligible for the card, so yes, I certainly feel like they've told me that they do not value my business.

As I wind down this year as a Glob, and try to make good use of my last Suite Upgrades, we'll end up with 5 stays/30-32 nights, and since it includes two 7-night stays at PH Tokyo, it will still be easily more than US$10K spend. But after being demoted to Explo next year, I will no longer be able to justify devoting 90-95% of our travel to staying at Hyatts.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino

As I wind down this year as a Glob, and try to make good use of my last Suite Upgrades, we'll end up with 5 stays/30-32 nights, and since it includes two 7-night stays at PH Tokyo, it will still be easily more than US$10K spend. But after being demoted to Explo next year, I will no longer be able to justify devoting 90-95% of our travel to staying at Hyatts.
Bingo. Me too, although we're US based and HAD the credit card. I'm 55 nights away from being a "real" Glob, and next year, we will be 55 ish nights away, maybe more.

Total Hyatt spend went from 12- 14K/year, + 40K on credit card, to less than 1K this year and nothing on the card. Way to go WOH . . .
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So clearly this promo is related to Chase.

And many of us have reported a significant spending drop on the card (I previously did $40K+ also, but this year, just one shot at Whole Foods basically).

But this promo does nothing to encourage spend on the Chase HyCard.

The help to Chase from this promo is just so indirect that I can't see why they even bothered with the limitation.
MarkOK likes this.

Last edited by josephstern; Sep 15, 2017 at 8:16 am
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by milehound
Is mattress running worth it on your own dime.
Generally - I would say no. There are real monetary benefits though of globalist(-lite) that must be carefully considered though. I don't place a lot of value on globalist for best room available upgrades --in my experience, with discoverist and explorist statuses through this year, I already score upgrades! -But- there is a tangible benefit for early/late check ins, etc. But, the real benefits (depending on where you travel) are waived resort fees and the club access/free breakfast.

I for one only needed 5 more nights beyond what was already booked (via two week-long conference stays and my currently in progress roadtrip to minnesota), to get to globalist under the promotion. For me, the decision to go for the extra 5 nights was relatively easy. I can access DFW Texas area hotels where nearly always, there is at least one Hyatt at less than $90 a night, or at the very least, there is one willing to take 50$ + 2500 pts. DFW is just far enough away to make an overnight stay needed, has shopping/food/entertainment that I enjoy and don't exactly have at home, and it is just close enough that for any free-weekend, a road trip is doable. I was already pining on going to six flags with the family over labor day anyways.

So, what I booked was: 1. 2 nights at a HP in Dallas over labor day.
2. 1 night over to Bentonville Arkasas HP in early October to go to the Crystal Bridges Museum and see my brother in law down in Fayeteville. (That HP, btw, was quite difficult to find availability for).
3. A 2 nighter at a HP in Dallas in late October
4. A 2 nighter at a HR in Dallas in late November

That gives me 2 extra-nights than I really need for the promo. And really, if you take the average of any 5 of those 7-nights I am spending about $350 + 5000 pts extra in this challenge, and these aren't just 'checking in and out', these are a few trips I actually want to do and will enjoy doing. And, in January, when we stay at the HR Grand Cypress Orlando, we will save 180$ in resort fees with the globalist benefits, and of the five scheduled stays already on the books in 2018, we will be getting lounge access at the two hotels with lounges without having to go through the process of redeeming expl. vouchers, and we will get what appears will be very nice globalists breakfast benefits at two other hotels (worth something on the order of 400$). There is likely 2 more trips not yet booked which will further have further real monetary benefits. Altogether, comparing my glob benefits expected to the explorists I would get otherwise (including club access awards), I expect to come out on the order of $500-1000 ahead just on the waived resort fees and free breakfasts benefits. So, spending some cheap money on my own dime will save me money on my own dime next year.

I am somewhat fortunate with regards to being able to leverage the promo, I will take this rare win in life. I am often on the short end of the stick when it comes to travel since I live in the middle of nowhere (for airfare for example, I don't have competitive airfares, my TSA-precheck and admirals club access and vip status with AA bought through holding my Aadvantage Executive card means much less compared to people traveling out of other airports, etc).

But, I do think it is tasteless that non-US travelers who can't get the card don't have a comparable promo.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I had dinner with a frequent traveler friend (inactive FTer) in Hong Kong last night; he had Hyatt Diamond for the past decade-ish, with 25-ish stays and 35-50-ish nights (varied by year). He typically had to "stretch" to get to 25 stays, but that often meant 3-5 weekend staycations at GH Macau (so we're talking US$250/night, not $65 HPs). He's based outside the US and has no SSN, so has no access to the credit card. He has written to Hyatt and received no meaningful response (apparently Hyatt China's response is, direct your query to Hyatt US).

What I don't get is this: So Hyatt has somehow determined that these people aren't good enough for top tier status, and expressed that in the new WoH requirements. Fair enough. But then enough former Diamonds walk away in masses, and we see these panicky 20 night promos. Why in the world would Hyatt not run a simple query of former Diamonds residing abroad and extend the same offer? Yes, these folks are not spending $20k annually, but $5-8k, or maybe more in good years. Making an attempt to retain them can't be such a bad idea.

i dont think they want to boost the numbers of globs outside north america... there are far fewer properties tbere and they are more upscale in general so tbey can always sell club/suite etc perks if facilities are u underutilized..

us on the otber hand always had a cheap shortcut - challenge, promo or outright match (same acriss all chains).. selling extras on the otber hand is harder and quality and value is very inconsistent..

it is almost like hyatt is running two separate programs.. priority club is struggling with similar but for tbem its brand gap (ic vs rest) rather than geography
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:30 am

I am only at 2 nights for the year but I have some trips coming up in January 2018 that I could really benefit from Globalist status. Do you see any issues with me booking 18 consecutive nights at a Hyatt Place? I would go in-person to check in and then I would probably stop by one time each weekend and then check out in person. Any issue with this?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:53 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by slm9555
I am only at 2 nights for the year but I have some trips coming up in January 2018 that I could really benefit from Globalist status. Do you see any issues with me booking 18 consecutive nights at a Hyatt Place? I would go in-person to check in and then I would probably stop by one time each weekend and then check out in person. Any issue with this?
a couple of threads already cover this...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...l-check-2.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ntom-stay.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-question.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-question.html
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Marriott steps up!

I'm a Marriott Platinum. Just received a mailer from them telling me I have 41 nights to go towards renewing Platinum, but I can renew by staying... are you ready... 20 nights over October, November, December.

Although I can count my Marriott nights over the last few years on one hand, that sounds doable now.

The funny thing is that the same number of nights from Marriott sounds like it's coming from a position of strength, while coming from Hyatt it feels like it's from a position of weakness.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by JackE
Marriott steps up!

I'm a Marriott Platinum. Just received a mailer from them telling me I have 41 nights to go towards renewing Platinum, but I can renew by staying... are you ready... 20 nights over October, November, December.

Although I can count my Marriott nights over the last few years on one hand, that sounds doable now.

The funny thing is that the same number of nights from Marriott sounds like it's coming from a position of strength, while coming from Hyatt it feels like it's from a position of weakness.
Marriott is really not offering much. With 41 nights in hand another 20; those 61 or so nights would have Marriott comp.ing you Platinum status again anyway
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:17 pm

For this Chase/Hyatt offer does one have to pay their bill with the Hyatt Chase card for the nights to count to the 10 or 20 night requirement? I've read the fine print for the offer but see not such requirement. Am I missing something?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrandOldTurkey
Marriott is really not offering much. With 41 nights in hand another 20; those 61 or so nights would have Marriott comp.ing you Platinum status again anyway
He said he had 41 to go, not completed.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
He said he had 41 to go, not completed.
my bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.