Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Here we go again. 20-night Globalist for Hyatt credit cardholders.

Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
You're unable to click before the 1st?
Some people might get the credit card as a result of this promotion. I assume they'll have to wait for approval to register.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:48 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Win-win situation, except for the 60nighters who really have been somewhat screwed by this promotion.
Which brings us full circle. What kind of company intentionally designs promotions which screw their best customers?

Aren't the best customers the exact people that you'd want to please, instead of aggravate?
notquiteaff and JackE like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
What kind of company intentionally designs promotions which screw their best customers?
Yes, we have come full circle: I'm one of the people Hyatt kicked to the curb last year, leaving my 30ish stays and ~$10K of spend behind. Didn't make sense to me then, any more than this promotion makes sense to me now. I thought 2017 was my last year of Diamond 'status'; now, it looks like a DSU-free 2018 will run out the string for me. Unless, of course, Hyatt is bought by Marriott next year and my Starriott Lifetime Status kicks in!

I can't even imagine the teeth-gnashing that will ensue from the Hyatt Lifetimers when THAT program gets redefined. 1,000,000 base points is a really high hurdle.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Some people might get the credit card as a result of this promotion. I assume they'll have to wait for approval to register.
Weird - We just received an email advertising the Hyatt Visa card masquerading as an account statement for my wife's account (basic member, what do they call that, basicist?). It did not mention that you could get status faster if you get the card and sign up for this promo.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hailstorm
How do you define "better" here?
Obviously not by stock price. Hyatt is up 7.4% over this date a year ago.

Marriott is up 37.2%,
jn in ca likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:23 pm

'Danger' wrote: Is there somewhere on the Hyatt website where all the properties worldwide are listed? I'd like some up to date figures on their footprint. I have read on FlyerTalk things like more than 50% of their properties are limited service and, around the time the change was announced, that Hyatt had less properties in most of Asia than Marriott and SPG had in Indonesia.

AirbusFan2B: Isn't it the case that Hyatt has relatively fewer bottom feeders among its properties than its choice set (Marriott, Hilton)? And the lowest you can go on Hyatt - Hyatt Place - has 24 hour food of some sort and a bar in every single HP I've visited. That is NOT the case with Marriott/Hilton. Hyatt low end is substantially higher end than low end on Marriott/Hilton.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
What kind of company intentionally designs promotions which screw their best customers?
As long as we're asking rhetorical questions, mine is, "are you really surprised?" This was all so predictable.
JackE likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I was waiting for this moment when you Hyatt defectors would be able to find a way to come crawling back to reach their Globalist status within plenty of time to reap the rewards that were taken from you by the WoH changes earlier this year.

Is this a safety net, or an ego pusher offering you the status you so covet but thought was now out of your reach? You can do it. get the card, put in the 20 nights, its attainable once again. Imagine another year of top tier treatment from the hotel program that you swore you would never again give another dollar to over your dead body.

You have spent this year drawing down your point balance, telling Hyatt and anyone that would listen how this is it, once your points and Glob status are gone after this year, you are finished, fini, finito!

Now, there is a glimmer of hope. You see daylight on the horizon to once again achieve an elite level that you truly deserve. You can put the past changes of WoH behind you and look forward once again. You even go so far as to consider being called Globalist to your face and not wincing. Well, lets not go that far. You'll get out your check book for 3 more months, rearrange your plans, and make it happen. You know you will....and then all will be right with WoH again. Welcome home 25 stays per year friends, where have you been?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I was waiting for this moment when you Hyatt defectors would be able to find a way to come crawling back to reach their Globalist status within plenty of time to reap the rewards that were taken from you by the WoH changes earlier this year.

You know you will....and then all will be right with WoH again. Welcome home 25 stays per year friends, where have you been?
Well, I've been at a bunch of Marriotts (20 some odd), a few Hiltons, and 3 Hyatts, as well as 9 free agent properties. I have one more huge point burning stay in December, and then I will have 2 or 3 Hyatt stays/year. WOH has been very eye opening for us, as we've found some really nice non-Hyatt properties in places where we've always stayed at sub-par or too expensive Hyatts, mostly because of GP. Now, we may pay for breakfast at times, but really, most of the time hotel breakfasts are over rated and too expensive, whereas we've found fantastic breakfast places all over the US and Europe.

I have not been at a HP or HH, and never intend to stay at one again. But I've hit a few Courtyards and Fairmonts that were decent, and they offer a lot more value for my $. I've been a steady 12- 15K/year+ hyatt "loyalist," but this year, I'm down to less than 2k, and by next year it will be under 1k. I don't imagine our stay and spending patterns are all that unusual for many former diamonds using mostly our own money. Good luck getting us back - for us, this offer means less than nothing, except that it's funny.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Is this a safety net, or an ego pusher offering you the status you so covet but thought was now out of your reach? You can do it. get the card, put in the 20 nights, its attainable once again. Imagine another year of top tier treatment from the hotel program that you swore you would never again give another dollar to over your dead body.

You have spent this year drawing down your point balance, telling Hyatt and anyone that would listen how this is it, once your points and Glob status are gone after this year, you are finished, fini, finito!

Now, there is a glimmer of hope. You see daylight on the horizon to once again achieve an elite level that you truly deserve. You can put the past changes of WoH behind you and look forward once again. You even go so far as to consider being called Globalist to your face and not wincing. Well, lets not go that far. You'll get out your check book for 3 more months, rearrange your plans, and make it happen. You know you will....and then all will be right with WoH again. Welcome home 25 stays per year friends, where have you been?
I think you are confused about who is doing the crawling back thing.
3rdworldresident and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:37 pm

I think nowadays loyalty is over-rated for airline and hotel programs but some are still very emotionally attached to their loyalty / elite status and feel the corporation owes them something more than their elite benefits. It's probably best to become a (big!) shareholder if someone wants a voice in how company should be run.

Let's say, Hyatt loses 500 Globalists over this promo (far fetched), with each one of them taking their 75 nights with them for 2018. That's 37,500 nights lost.

Let's say, Hyatt gains 3,000 Globalists with this promo (not far fetched) and immediately generates 60,000 nights from their 20-nights qualification WITHOUT having to provide Globalist benefits.

Let's say, those 3,000 Globalists each book an average of 10 nights in 2018 because of their newly minted status ... that's another 30,000 nights gained.

Let's say, Hyatt retains 10% from the 3,000 Globalists for 2019.

Well .... you get the picture.

These are business decisions. Not emotional.
PortlySpartacus likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
Obviously not by stock price. Hyatt is up 7.4% over this date a year ago.

Marriott is up 37.2%,
Try checking over the past three months. A time period over which World of Hyatt was fully active.

I await your confirmation of the results.

Last edited by hailstorm; Aug 29, 2017 at 8:34 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by nhwiki

I have not been at a HP or HH, and never intend to stay at one again. But I've hit a few Courtyards and Fairmonts that were decent, and they offer a lot more value for my $. I've been a steady 12- 15K/year+ hyatt "loyalist," but this year, I'm down to less than 2k, and by next year it will be under 1k. I don't imagine our stay and spending patterns are all that unusual for many former diamonds using mostly our own money. Good luck getting us back - for us, this offer means less than nothing, except that it's funny.
You never stayed at HP and HH, OR do you never intend to stay -again-. ??

Anyways, I was a free agent until just last year and I never found a Fairmount worth its salt and I always though Courtyards were decent enough with cheap weakend rates but their week-day rates were outrageous. HP and HH are a big reason that drew me into the Hyatt brand because most always I found them much more comfortable for a marginal price difference (like 20$ a night or less) over the HolidayInns/LaQuintas (etc) which were so unreliable in terms of quality and service (and all too often, quite bad).

Regardless, if you are done with WoH because the 25 stay to get diamond doesn't work anymore, then all the best wishes to you. WoH has plenty to criticize, as do all programs, but for someone like me with only 6-7 stays but 30-40 nights a year, WoH gives me so much more at Explorist than any other program out there at my kinds/levels of stays (I could maybe stretch to make Hilton gold which has good benefits too, but I have had too many bad stays at Hampton INns and doubletrees that I grimace at the thought of staying at them over HH and HPs). The bellyaching about how 25 stay diamonds lose over their ease of getting top status and generous 'welcome gifts' are just ridiculously whiny to me. I will enjoy my Globalist status as a result of this promotion next year, but at least I will still have 35 actual paid nights getting there and not just 25 nights/25 stays like so many bellyaching previous-diamonds were getting for so long.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

How's that thinning of the herd working out for you?
3rdworldresident and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
Regardless, if you are done with WoH because the 25 stay to get diamond doesn't work anymore, then all the best wishes to you. WoH has plenty to criticize, as do all programs, but for someone like me with only 6-7 stays but 30-40 nights a year, WoH gives me so much more at Explorist than any other program out there at my kinds/levels of stays (I could maybe stretch to make Hilton gold which has good benefits too, but I have had too many bad stays at Hampton INns and doubletrees that I grimace at the thought of staying at them over HH and HPs).
Wow, finally someone who finds the Explodist level to be worthwhile

What exactly does it give you in HH and HP, though?

I have at least two if not three ways to get/maintain Hilton Gold (Amex Plat, Amex Surpass, corporate fast track offer). And two ways to get and maintain Marriott Gold and SPG Gold (Amex Plat and UA RewardsPlus).

So mid tier or entry level status with Hyatt isn't exactly worth much to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.