Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Promos Passe in the New World (order)of Hyatt?

Promos Passe in the New World (order)of Hyatt?

Old Oct 1, 17, 10:04 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK (SWO)
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Where does the 10 points per dollar come from?

Ignoring promos, base level Honors members earn 10+5 Honors points or 10 points + 1 mile per dollar. To keep it simple, the fairest comparison between Hilton and Hyatt is the first choice, so 15 points per dollar.

http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/e...ing/index.html

Hyatt base level members earn 5 points per dollar spent.

I agree with your general point that you need to take into consideration the cost of redemption. But also the earnings rate, and promos make a huge difference. And the potential to earn points through other means. E.g, I get 3 Hyatt points per dollar spent at a Hyatt. My Hilton Surpass gives me 12 points (which is great unless you stay at international properties and pay 2.7% Forex fees).
Good point -- Hilton can be considered at 15 points per $ spent (but, to be fair, it is half that at a couple low-end brands). But look at the redemption -- nicer Hampton Inns (in Dallas TX), for example, require 25,000 points or more whereas there are a number of Hyatt Place/Houses that require 5,000 points. Getting 3X more points doesn't matter when you need 5X more on the redemption side. On the mid tier and high end the redemption doesn't look much better (you usually still need 4-5X more points than the comparable Hyatts).
MarkOK is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 10:30 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Posts: 4,167
Originally Posted by MarkOK View Post
Good point -- Hilton can be considered at 15 points per $ spent (but, to be fair, it is half that at a couple low-end brands). But look at the redemption -- nicer Hampton Inns (in Dallas TX), for example, require 25,000 points or more whereas there are a number of Hyatt Place/Houses that require 5,000 points. Getting 3X more points doesn't matter when you need 5X more on the redemption side. On the mid tier and high end the redemption doesn't look much better (you usually still need 4-5X more points than the comparable Hyatts).
Of course, you can get 27 Hilton points per dollar by using the Amex Surpass (15 + 12). Hilton points are worth about .6 cpp, so that works out to a rebate of about 16.2%, which is pretty damn good. I have the luxury of planning my leisure trips months in advance and can always get between .8 and .9 cpp internationally (against the best corporate or prepaid rate), making Hilton a much better earning proposition for me. For instance, I have a 10 night stay at the Conrad Koh Samui coming up which cost me 760,000 points. With taxes and service charges added in, I am getting around .8 cpp compared to the recent "Flash Sale" rate for Asia.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 2, 17 at 2:39 pm Reason: Should've been using the cpp (cents per point) abbreviation, not cpm.
zombietooth is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 11:57 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK (SWO)
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by zombietooth View Post
Of course, you can get 27 Hilton points per dollar by using the Amex Surpass (15 + 12). Hilton points are worth about .6 cpm, so that works out to a rebate of about 16.2%, which is pretty damn good. I have the luxury of planning my leisure trips months in advance and can always get between .8 and .9 cpm internationally(against the best corporate or prepaid rate), making Hilton and much better earning proposition for me. For instance, I have a 10 night stay at the Conrad Koh Samui coming up which cost me 760,000 points. With taxes added in, I am getting around .8 cpm compared to the recent "Flash Sale" rate for Asia.
Thanks for sharing -- looking into that, I agree that it is a pretty decent way to play a hotel benefit strategy.
MarkOK is offline  
Old Oct 1, 17, 12:18 pm
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,645
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Where does the 10 points per dollar come from?
I used 15 in my prior post.

10 was just a quickie reference because a substantial number of people still have no clue what Points + Points is - since Hhonors spent years and years promoting Double Dip (earn miles and points for the same stay) And promos don't apply to the optional points part.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 2:42 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,104
Seriously, I am a little surprised here. What have they had this year? One promo? That terrible one they ran earlier and nothing else? Or I forgetting another promo? I would be really shocked if they only ran 1 promo all year and such a crap one at that.
antonius66 is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 6:31 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Posts: 5,256
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Seriously, I am a little surprised here. What have they had this year? One promo? That terrible one they ran earlier and nothing else? Or I forgetting another promo? I would be really shocked if they only ran 1 promo all year and such a crap one at that.
Yes, they only had the one crappy promo this year. Last year I got 75,000 bonus points for a single promo and had 25 stays done mid year. Now with no check in amenity and no promo, I have not even bothered to even look at Hyatt any more. Still haven’t used up the rest of my points as the SPG/Marriott options always win out. Will have to make some effort to use up the rest of the points and Suite upgrades in Jan/Feb before completely abandoning Hyatt.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 6:44 pm
  #52  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 50,430
Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
I would be really shocked if they only ran 1 promo all year and such a crap one at that.
Prepare to be shocked.
Kacee is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:54 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Posts: 2,221
Perhaps WOH experiment weeded out those who are promotion sensitive. And they are happy with the results 😜
ws8n is offline  
Old Oct 15, 17, 10:36 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Posts: 5,256
Originally Posted by ws8n View Post
Perhaps WOH experiment weeded out those who are promotion sensitive. And they are happy with the results 😜
As are those weeded out and Hyatt's competitors that have gotten all the revenue.
sfozrhfco is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 2:17 am
  #55  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 10,645
Originally Posted by ws8n View Post
Perhaps WOH experiment weeded out those who are promotion sensitive. And they are happy with the results 😜
But how many Globalists are sitting on 55-59 nights, planning to hit 60 as late as possible.

But give us another 75K for 25 nights promo like last autumn, and all of a sudden we'd do 80 nights and bank 2 more TSUs to compensate for the first 4 expiring earlier than we'd like.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 4:25 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WAS
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A-List Pref & CP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,049
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
But how many Globalists are sitting on 55-59 nights, planning to hit 60 as late as possible.

But give us another 75K for 25 nights promo like last autumn, and all of a sudden we'd do 80 nights and bank 2 more TSUs to compensate for the first 4 expiring earlier than we'd like.
I've been at 55 nights for several months. I have a stay booked in December that will push me over. Instead, I've added to my SPG total for the year and will requalify for Ambassador (100 nights) and earn extra points through promos.

I would've probably added another 10-20 Hyatt nights if there was a compelling promo, but there hasn't been. Interesting business strategy.
Duke777 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 7:47 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Posts: 6,411
I'm planning my 2018 stays now. Planning to stay exactly 55 nights, and those nights will occur during Hyatt's sometimes-annual promotion.
CloudCoder is offline  
Old Oct 17, 17, 9:48 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Posts: 2,221
Same here. I reckon the consulting company is advising them similar to current airlines direction. If u want to stay at Hyatt, u have to stick with the new world of hyatt.
We don't give a .... 😜
Originally Posted by Duke777 View Post

I would've probably added another 10-20 Hyatt nights if there was a compelling promo, but there hasn't been. Interesting business strategy.
ws8n is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread