Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Expiring Free Night Cert - Exchanging for Points? Diamond rep alluded to this

Expiring Free Night Cert - Exchanging for Points? Diamond rep alluded to this

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: EBD, Hyatt Globalist, Clubcarlson Gold, QR Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
There are now other free night certs besides the credit card ones.

I'm wondering about the cat 1-4 issued as part of WoH.
I got following answer when I emailed Hyatt, anyone who can confirm taht they have got point compensation?
"
I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to utilize your Hyatt Category one to four award. Promotional awards are issued as a result of a limited offer and must be redeemed (checked out) by the expiration date. Unfortunately, these awards may not be extended, reissued, or replaced"
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shangsing
I got following answer when I emailed Hyatt, anyone who can confirm taht they have got point compensation?
"
I am disappointed to hear that you were not able to utilize your Hyatt Category one to four award. Promotional awards are issued as a result of a limited offer and must be redeemed (checked out) by the expiration date. Unfortunately, these awards may not be extended, reissued, or replaced"
I thought I just confirmed i got point compensation. I got 10k in points. I would post a pic of the Twitter convo with Hyatt concierge but I can't figure out how to on here..lol
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had no idea this was a possibility. I suppose this tactic isn't possible for a Discoverist and her Chase anniversary night?

Related question: can you use one of the free nights on a Guest of Honor basis, if you're a diamond?
A blogger at OMAT recently asserted this..that was news to me.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaveH
Related question: can you use one of the free nights on a Guest of Honor basis, if you're a diamond?
Yes, I used one my cert (either the 30 night or 5 brand) for my daughter. The Globalist agent applied my cert to the reservation and all Globalist benefits were afforded by Hyatt Centric South Beach.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaveH
Yes, I used one of my cert (either the 30 night or 5 brand, most likely the 5 brand) for my daughter. The Globalist agent applied my cert to the reservation and all Globalist benefits were afforded by Hyatt Centric South Beach.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:28 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Expired free night certificates (Cat 1-7 and Cat 1-4 certs) can NO LONGER be converted to points as per My Hyatt Concierge. This was an exception until end of last year and they are not allowed to do so any longer.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Expired free night certificates (Cat 1-7 and Cat 1-4 certs) can NO LONGER be converted to points as per My Hyatt Concierge. This was an exception until end of last year and they are not allowed to do so any longer.
I was told no exceptions by the Hyatt line last year twice, but clearly people still did. So wonder if the exception is true. Will be interesting to see.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:22 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by mnredfox

I was told no exceptions by the Hyatt line last year twice, but clearly people still did. So wonder if the exception is true. Will be interesting to see.
mine expired on 1/18, but I got confirmation in December that they would credit 10k points. they only credited because it was promised last year. My 2nd Cat 1-7 will expire in 1 week, and for this award, my request was denied.

I'd say they'll be strict going forward... too bad.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
My Cat 1-4 expired in December. I emailed my concierge in January and saw 10k points post to my account. I requalified so maybe this was why?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:14 am

It might be but I'm not sure. I too had a couple of certificates that were nearing exp. My concierge exchanged them for points this month without hesitation. I will be Globalist for all of 2019 so maybe that is part of it I can't tell for sure.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:35 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It's impossible to extend them, and as of a few months ago, they're not supposed to give points for expired awards, either, although they're still making occasional exceptions for Globalists.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mster
Has anyone extended a status free night award (Cat1-4 or Cat1-7) recently? Has anyone exchanged a status free night award for points recently?
I exchanged my cat 7 for 25000 points early this year. My agent initially refused but relented afted I pushed a bit.
Brendan and DaveH like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:35 am

-----

Last edited by mster; Apr 25, 2019 at 8:23 am
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mster
Did you get the 25,000 points before or after your cat 7 cert expiration date? How long before / after the expiration date?

I'm guessing your cat 7 cert was expiring in a few weeks and you requested an exchange since you weren't going to have an opportunity to use it in time?
I had requested after it expired, a few days after. They said they won't be doing this anymore but I pressed and they made an exception.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.