Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought on achieving a room upgrade with Hyatt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Firstly, thank for so much for taking the time to read this -- I do appreciate it.

I just wanted to ask fellow FTers for some advice, if possible, about Hyatt hotels and, post-WoH, what might be the best ways -- if any exist -- of getting a room upgrade at their Kyoto Regency hotel?

(Just for reference: I used to be Platinum before the WoH rebrand and, as I understand it, there are no status matches available right now [for what is it worth, I'm currently Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, and SPG/MarriottGold].)

To cut a long story short, I am bringing my partner and her mother to Japan for the first time in October -- while my partner and I are London-based, the mother is flying in to Japan from Australia -- and I'd like to somehow manage to at least get a good room at the Kyoto Regency hotel in Kyoto. I stayed there earlier this year (with my own mother) and in spite of having emailed the hotel's GM in advance kindly asking for a discretionary upgrade, the room my mother and I ended up with was TINY (whereas, the year previously upon staying at the same hotel and with my Platinum Hyatt Gold Passport status, I got a suite upgrade).

As such, I just wondered whether there was any sleight-of-hand that I might employ in the hope of getting an upgrade this time around? The intended stay is in very early October for 5 nights.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed and gratefull received!

Again, thank you for taking time out to read this.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Your best bet would be to contact the hotel and ask if they have an upcharge for a nicer room or a suite.

With no status, it's not likely they're going to give you any kind of an upgrade - unless the hotel is empty.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

@Scoob72: MikeFromTokyo provided a good suggestion in your previous thread about getting a room upgrade without WoH status.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
If paying BAR at these hotels, Virtuoso, R-C STARS, Starwood Luxury Privileges, and Amex FHR bookings will get valuable benefits such as upgrades, breakfast, and hotel credit, etc...
By booking a Virtuoso rate, your travel agent may be able to secure your room upgrade preference by liaising with the hotel.

Also take a look at the master thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many rooms are you booking?
i dont think a standard room supports 3 guests to begin with...
you best bet as noted is to contact hotel and negotiate agead of time
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Your choices are to pay for the upgrade with money or points.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Hyatt Rengency Kyoto is bookable through Visa Signature Hotels, which gives you the possiblilty of an upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Or perhaps book a room in a hotel chain of which you have status that allows for upgrades.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Mary2e / paul00 / azepine00 / MSPeconomist / jacobguo / austin_modern -- thank you all so much for your replies -- I really do appreciate them.

Paul00 -- I'm actually booked for five days entirely on Hyatt points, you see (2 x rooms, 5 days, all via Hyatt points), so Virtuoso/FHR, etc., wouldn't really help me here... as I understand it, anyway?

As many have said above, I guess my only option is really to contact the hotel directly and ask if a payable upgrade across two rooms is possible.

Once again, thank you all for your input above -- it is gratefully received.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by paul00
@Scoob72: MikeFromTokyo provided a good suggestion in your previous thread about getting a room upgrade without WoH status.

By booking a Virtuoso rate, your travel agent may be able to secure your room upgrade preference by liaising with the hotel.

Also take a look at the master thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html
Absolutely, Virtuoso is the way to go at any member property, including HR Kyoto. It's an absolute no brainer, you will be upgraded and with the value add you will pay less than if booking directly with Hyatt.... and Virtuoso bookings are 100% compatible with WoH for night/stay credit, etc...
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's really going to depend on their occupancy rates because they do sell out the nicer rooms and suites. Definitely offer to pay to upgrade to their corner rooms so you're guaranteed something bigger than the Twin room.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:26 am
Community Director Emerita

I, too, suggest that you reach out in advance and ask about paying for an upgrade. I've stayed there with top status and received no upgrade. It's a very popular hotel with not many rooms. You're staying in early October when it is sure to be booked solid. You have no status. You've very smartly recognized all of that. Don't be disappointed if you can't work out an upgrade but you have no downside in asking if there is anything that can be done.

What a lovely treat for your partner's mother, both to be with her daughter and to be in Kyoto. Have a wonderful time.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Absolutely, Virtuoso is the way to go at any member property, including HR Kyoto. It's an absolute no brainer, you will be upgraded and with the value add you will pay less than if booking directly with Hyatt.... and Virtuoso bookings are 100% compatible with WoH for night/stay credit, etc...
Virtuoso upgrades, like FHR, aren't confirmed in advance at most properties. The room you get will be based on availability upon arrival (or actually within 24 hours of arrival as many hotels preassign rooms).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:38 am
Community Director Emerita

One more thought: go to the website for the hotel. Check the five nights you have booked for paid stays. See if anything is available at a higher category. If so, note the difference between the award room and that room. That will help set your expectations financially when you reach out to the GM. I looked at arrival on October 8 for 5 nights. The standard room is 48K yen. The corner room is 73K yen. The delta of 25K yen is $226. Think about what value you place on getting a larger room. If the GM were to ask you for that delta, are you prepared to pay. These things can happen when you write:
  • The GM says I'm sorry, we cannot offer an upgrade
  • The GM offers an upgrade at the cost delta shown online
  • The GM offers an upgrade at a lesser price
  • The GM says s/he will see what can be done on check in

Again, there's no downside in asking. You draw yourself to the attention of the hotel and only positive can come from that.
Aventine likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

MikeFromTokyo / Aventine / SanDiego1K / MSPeconomist -- once again, thank you all for your input!

SanDiego1K -- thank you for your second note about price deltas. That was a great way of looking at the situation, and one that hadn't occurred to me, so a great suggestion. That really gives me a great benchmark to work from when I reach out to the GM via email -- who I happened to meet in person only about 4 months back, coincidentally enough. Again, I genuinely appreciate all the advice here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.