Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can people notice the difference between different brands carry Hyatt name?

Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

In Hyatt family, the only brand that has its own consistent and the same sign on every hotel exterior is Park Hyatt, nobody or a taxi driver would be confused between a Park Hyatt or a regular Hyatt in the same city.

But for other brands, such as the premium Grand Hyatt, many of its older properties using the signature Hyatt logo , like Grand Hyatt SF as well as Grand Hyatt Taipei which I’ve been there many times and it always using the Hyatt logo instead of Grand Hyatt sign on its main exterior entrance, only until very recently after the renovation that GH Taipei the GRAND l HYATT sign instead of older Hyatt only logo.

I know that frequent flyers and members certainly know the different and would not simply call a GH "Hyatt", but I am curious that in your experience, can taxi drivers or normal people that do not stay at the hotel that often , understand the different between Hyatt and Grand Hyatt? If there is a Grand Hyatt and Hyatt in the same city, can driver goes to the right directions?

Does Hyatt’s marketing strategy unwilling to separate the Hyatt family brand independently ? Like that Marriott tries to separate JW Marriott with regular marriott with different logo and color(although not successful since locals and drivers still calls JW in pacific or Hanoi a Marriott hotel), and that Conrad that is a successful for building brand image, many don’t even know it is even related to Hilton. The not so successful example of Marriott shows that it has a lot of different brands all carrying a Marriott name on it , so many don’t understand the difference of it and driver usually get confused between Marriott, Marriott executive apartment, jw Marriott, and many people would still call a JW , "marriott hotel" instead of JW Marriott, for example during Jakarta bomb, the media called the hotel name " Marriott" instead of Jw Marriott.

Another successful example is Starwood on building brand image and name that people would never confused between aloft with W, or a Westin with Sheraton.

I just want to know whether a company is successful for building a brand image. If most people can easily tell the difference of the diffusion lines within a company , then that would be a very successful marketing.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jul 29, 2017 at 4:07 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Yes... no... maybe... yes.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Is FT not allow to discuss anything not related to member benefit/ where to stay... such as branding and marketing?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jul 29, 2017 at 9:34 am
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
If a town has two or more Hyatt properties, it's foolish to get into a taxicab and ask the driver to take you to one of them. You'll end up at the wrong one for sure. Sometimes I believe they take you to the wrong hotel on purpose, in order to boost the fare. (Example: ask for Hyatt Regency O'Hare and they'll take you to Hyatt Rosemont first ; ask for Hyatt Rosemont and they'll take you to HR O'Hare first).

The real solution is to never use a taxi. Use a ride-sharing app such as Uber or Lyft, where the you type in your precise destination before summoning the chariot. Lower cost, fewer mistakes, less aggravation.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Is FT not allow to discuss anything not related to member benefit/ where to stay... such as branding and marketing?
youre allowed to talk about whatever you would like, but also realize we can suggest the question is lame.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I disagree with the premise in the OP that PH cannot be confused with other Hyatts.

I Seoul, I needed a taxi to take me back to the PH starting on the same side of the river. I emphasized PARK Hyatt and gave the driver the address written in both Korean and English. I also showed the driver a picture postcard of the PH building. Nevertheless, he tried to take me to the GH and even crossed the river to go there.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:21 am

Based on my own limited experience with friends, family colleagues, etc., the "average" traveler does not distinguish among the various types of Hyatt full service hotels. They are all simply 'Hyatt."
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I have no problem distinguishing a Park Hyatt from a Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I have no problem distinguishing a Park Hyatt from a Grand Hyatt.
I imagine most Hyatt loyalists on FT can distinguish the difference between a Grand and a Park.

But can you tell the difference between a Regency and a Grand?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree with the premise in the OP that PH cannot be confused with other Hyatts.

I Seoul, I needed a taxi to take me back to the PH starting on the same side of the river. I emphasized PARK Hyatt and gave the driver the address written in both Korean and English. I also showed the driver a picture postcard of the PH building. Nevertheless, he tried to take me to the GH and even crossed the river to go there.
This is true in Seoul. Most cabbies only know the old Namsan GH Hyatt and have never heard of the Park Hyatt in Samseong-dong, Gangnam.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway
Based on my own limited experience with friends, family colleagues, etc., the "average" traveler does not distinguish among the various types of Hyatt full service hotels. They are all simply 'Hyatt."
Even when they actually stayed at a GH, they still called it a Hyatt...

I've read many blog articles written in different language from other country travelers, many wrote title as " Hyatt hotel in certanly location" instead of Grand Hyatt. Same goes with using Marriott hotel instead of calling JW Marriott. But they are actually completely different brand and Hyatt also tries to promote GH over the years that using Grand Hyatt only sign outside the hotel. But average travelers still don't notice or don't care
Old Jul 30, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I've had the same experience getting into a taxi from Coex. Went almost to the river before I stopped him and wasted a lot of time. I let the hotel deal with him.

Wish uber were in Seoul.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Globally, It looks like most people still have trouble recognize the different hyatt brands, but after interpretation which GH and Hyatt are different word , it looks like Grand Hyatt is even more recognizable than Hyatt or HR in China/Hong Kong markers and mostly are built GH brand in those area. People there have no problem about this, I would say this have something to do with marketing in different area.

It's really a nice discussion to see those wonderful comment here
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Even when they actually stayed at a GH, they still called it a Hyatt...

I've read many blog articles written in different language from other country travelers, many wrote title as " Hyatt hotel in certanly location" instead of Grand Hyatt. Same goes with using Marriott hotel instead of calling JW Marriott. But they are actually completely different brand and Hyatt also tries to promote GH over the years that using Grand Hyatt only sign outside the hotel. But average travelers still don't notice or don't care
....and they call Courtyard Marriott - Marriott and Hilton Garden Inn's - Hilton.

Seems to me this doesn't really matter except to those who are really technical and precise.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Besides yourself, what comments ?

At least over in the Marriott forum this discussion was deleted and in Starwood was locked.

Globally, It looks like most people still have trouble recognize the different hyatt brands, but after interpretation which GH and Hyatt are different word , it looks like Grand Hyatt is even more recognizable than Hyatt or HR in China/Hong Kong markers and mostly are built GH brand in those area. People there have no problem about this, I would say this have something to do with marketing in different area.

It's really a nice discussion to see those wonderful comment here

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.