FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Should I keep the Hyatt Visa card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1853803-should-i-keep-hyatt-visa-card.html)

sm0421 Jul 14, 2017 6:33 am

Should I keep the Hyatt Visa card?

I have had this card for the past 3 years and was able to use the cat4 certificate each year. After the WOH launch I'm migrating to SPG due to lack of Hyatt properties, so will go from Glob to nobody next year. Not sure if I'll go out of my way to find a free Hyatt night next year.

Should I cancel the card or keep it at $75/year just for the cat4 credit?

dmunz Jul 14, 2017 10:51 am

I didn't.

Once all the announcements settled it was obvious that Hyatt was no longer in my future and even if it was, there are far better card options out there. I jumped on the Mariott card with a sizable bonus, transferred my credit line and canceled the Hyatt card.

FWIW
DLM

JackE Jul 14, 2017 10:52 am

Cancel.

notquiteaff Jul 14, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't think anyone here knows better than you whether you can get sufficient value out of the free night.

I only got the card today and have zero long term interest in the WoH (this year I am burning my points and try to use my Club awards).

I suspect I can find some use for the free night just as I find some use for my IHG and Marriott nights. Neither the cost nor the likely profit is huge, so I don't worry too much about it. And I reserve the right to change my mind next year.

sm0421 Jul 14, 2017 12:46 pm

thanks guys, I'm closing now. It was a bit of a pain trying to find that HP/HH to use this credit, while there are so many more options from SPG/Marriott. I think I'll just cancel it for good now.

SethLevy Jul 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by sm0421 (Post 28560866)
thanks guys, I'm closing now. It was a bit of a pain trying to find that HP/HH to use this credit, while there are so many more options from SPG/Marriott. I think I'll just cancel it for good now.

Agreed you should cancel if the only use you have for the free night is a HP or HH. There are a number of good Park, GH and HR you can use it, especially if you travel international. I used mine at GH Dubai. Last year I used it at GH Sao Paulo and the year before at HR Hong Kong TST.

I keep mine just for the free night (its worth the annual fee). I don't use the card for anything - however as I am now putting everything on my Chase Sapphire reserve.

mahasamatman Jul 14, 2017 8:31 pm

A night for $75 is well worth it in my eyes.

mhdena Jul 15, 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by sm0421 (Post 28559414)
I have had this card for the past 3 years and was able to use the cat4 certificate each year.
Should I cancel the card or keep it at $75/year just for the cat4 credit?

Are these properties you used no longer part of Hyatt?

Seems worth it to me for $75, either as a positioning night near an airport or combined with some points for 2-3 nights somewhere.

azepine00 Jul 15, 2017 12:48 pm

seems pretty obvious - cancel an reapply a couple months later for another 40k...

Kacee Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by sm0421 (Post 28559414)
After the WOH launch I'm migrating to SPG due to lack of Hyatt properties

So get either the SPG Amex or Chase Marriott.

Both offer decent sign-up bonus, extra points on SPG/Marriott spend, and a substantial credit toward elite qualification.

youvesaiditall Jul 15, 2017 2:59 pm

I hold my Hyatt and IHG cards. Granted I stay at Hyatt's a lot--but IHG still same general idea---I can get way more annual value out of the card than the $75 annual fee.

Unless your plan is to close and than reopen in a couple years for a measly 40k point bonus...the card is a no-brainer to hold onto...even if you never spend a dime on it (mine is in my sock drawer...or the garbage...not entirely sure :) )

Hotel Points Guy Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28562173)
A night for $75 is well worth it in my eyes.

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 28563866)
Seems worth it to me for $75, either as a positioning night near an airport or combined with some points for 2-3 nights somewhere.

I happen to agree with the posters above. I typically use my annual Cat. 1-4 certificate in combination with a points or cash stay, and then for the most expensive night of the stay. I've saved at least $350 the past two years doing this, while paying $150 to Chase in fees.

One stay was at the Hyatt Regency Orlando, where cash rates were north of $200 for the night I used my cert. The other stay was at the Luxor on a Friday night when room rates were pushing $150.

I guess one could say that I netted $200 using the Cat 1-4 certs ($350 hotel savings-$150 in cc fees). I still find good value in the Chase annual certificates and therefore intend to keep the card. And as others have mentioned, it is often not difficult to find a good HR or GH at which to spend the certs.

austin_modern Jul 17, 2017 11:20 pm

I can't believe this question hasn't already been asked a bunch of times on the hyatt chase csrd thread that it deserves it's own new thread.

:)

either a free nights wlrth 75 bucks to you or it isn't. It's a personal call. Make it.

mdosu Jul 19, 2017 11:49 am

I cancelled today. The property options (not) available to me for the places I visit renders this card worthless to me.

It just seems like the Marriott card is worth more to keep and pay the AF. Even with the watering down of categories at Marriott, there's always a Courtyard in most metro areas that is eligible for free redemption. I've been going on 4-years strong with Marriott card.

BTW, I signed up the Hyatt card last year when they were offering 2 free nights at any Hyatt properties. I noticed today's signup is only for points. Have they decided they no longer want to offer 2 free night anymore? B/c there was a lot of value in redeeming them for Park Hyatt and Grand Hyatt stays. (Unfortunately, I didn't go anywhere with either, but did go to a Hawaii where prices were out of control and got my 2 free nights there).

Maui4me1 Jul 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern (Post 28573755)
I can't believe this question hasn't already been asked a bunch of times on the hyatt chase csrd thread that it deserves it's own new thread.

:)

either a free nights wlrth 75 bucks to you or it isn't. It's a personal call. Make it.

Thank you 👍🏼