Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt account closed by Hyatt in error

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt account closed by Hyatt in error

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:19 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
1. Send a private message on "World of Hyatt Concierge" on Flyertalk.
2. If that doesn't solve the problem, ask them to escalate it up the chain. Occasionally it can take two or three escalations to get to the right person.
3. If it were me, I'd focus on the positive ("documentation said I must stay by May 31, 2017, so that's exactly what I did") rather than the negative ("I'll never stay at your hotel again". I say this because they hear the negative all the time.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So please do tell what your loss really was?

They seem to have restored your points, and there was no night credit to restore this year (else your account wouldn't be closed). So you must have lost a significant amount of lifetime base points since that is the only historical number that has any value?

Or is it just the principal of the bad IT and service WOH is now famous for? For that there is a quick solution...run and don't come back :-).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
There are legitimate reasons to cancel an account after a given period of inactivity. But there is no legitimate reason that a database entry cannot be manually changed from ACTIVE=FALSE to ACTIVE=TRUE or whatever they use.

How many Hyatt people actually refused to fix this problem? How high did it go? If the only one who was involved was a Twitterist, that could be someone in a third-world country that Hyatt pays a dollar a day. As has been previously recommended, escalate, escalate, escalate.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1

They seem to have restored your points, and there was no night credit to restore this year (else your account wouldn't be closed). So you must have lost a significant amount of lifetime base points since that is the only historical number that has any value?

Or is it just the principal of the bad IT and service WOH is now famous for? For that there is a quick solution...run and don't come back :-).
You partly answered your own question: lifetime status. But there is also the ability, albeit limited to retrieve folios. What if the OP needs those to be reimbursed?

There is also the time spent dealing with this. That is not worth nothing.

Many people, myself included, feel that in many cases people should be judged less by whether they make a problem, but more by how they take responsibility for fixing it. If the OP's account is accurate, Hyatt fails by both measures.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:44 pm

If you have a copy of your previous statements send it to Hyatt. I am surprised they cannot reinstate a closed account. Their accounting department should have a history of all closed accounts whether due to inactivity or other issues.

You should be credited and I would send a letter to the Hyatt Headquarters along with your Twitter conversation along with copies of your previous statements.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:45 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackE
You partly answered your own question: lifetime status. But there is also the ability, albeit limited to retrieve folios. What if the OP needs those to be reimbursed?
On an account that has seen no activity for 2 years?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Maybe the OP had plenty of stays in the past. It's really none of our concern. Hyatt made a mistake, admitted to it being their mistake, and now they need to fix it. If their "system error" truly results in a deletion of the OP records (vs the sensible soft delete), they really need to fix that flaw in their software as well.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold

I stayed two nights this year (my stay in May) that I am not getting night credit for. That means I would have to stay 2 additional nights this year to hit whatever target I want to hit. It's not just the loss of historical nights and stays from when I was a more frequent Hyatt guest.

I'll send a PM to the World of Hyatt Concierge on Flyertalk. Not intending to escalate this anymore - I don't think it's worth my time. I'll let you guys know what response I get.

Thanks all!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:09 pm

OP stated most recent stay was May 20-22, 2017.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Melodsal
I stayed two nights this year (my stay in May) that I am not getting night credit for. That means I would have to stay 2 additional nights this year to hit whatever target I want to hit. It's not just the loss of historical nights and stays from when I was a more frequent Hyatt guest.

I'll send a PM to the World of Hyatt Concierge on Flyertalk. Not intending to escalate this anymore - I don't think it's worth my time. I'll let you guys know what response I get.

Thanks all!
Thanks for letting us know this can actually happen.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JackE
OP stated most recent stay was May 20-22, 2017.
After not staying for 2 years before that obviously.

Off course it's a Hyatt mistake and they should correct it. As I understood they created a new account, transferred this years activity (the one stay) and the points that were in the account.

So that should just leave the historical data.... they should recreate this as well, sure. But what I was wondering if it was really worth the effort or the compaint on missing historical data had more to do with the principal of it.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll send a PM to the World of Hyatt Concierge on Flyertalk. Not intending to escalate this anymore - I don't think it's worth my time. I'll let you guys know what response I get!
That's the only thing I was wondering about, what you were really missing with a new account.....

Good luck, but I doubt you will get a decent answer the way things have been going lately.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:31 am

Off course it's a Hyatt mistake and they should correct it. As I understood they created a new account, transferred this years activity (the one stay) and the points that were in the account.

So that should just leave the historical data.... they should recreate this as well, sure. But what I was wondering if it was really worth the effort or the compaint on missing historical data had more to do with the principal of it.
Lifetime points should be preserved. Not clear if done.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:45 am

I'm not an "it's the principal" sort of person; the practical part of this that is disappointing is that it's even a thing. It should have gone like this: "Sir, I'm looking at your account and it was closed in error. Hold on.... OK, I've reinstated your account and added 2500 points for your inconvenience. Thank you for being a World of Hyatt member."
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I stayed two nights this year (my stay in May) that I am not getting night credit for.
Whoh. Your "keep the account alive" stay never posted to any account old or new? Makes it sound like a completely different problem. Either hotel error or ineligible rate.

By email. "Hotel never posted it." "Here's a copy of my portfolio". "Please post stay credit and points". "By the way that would keep my old account # going".

Unless this is a small point "hobby"balance, you are happier elsewhere, and it is just a good excuse to let go of Hyatt. Heaven knows I'd like to but I have way too many points to completely walk away right now.

The general caution to the larger world is waiting to the very last second and assuming it works creates additional risk. Lost some Hawaiian Airlines points that way when Avis posted to the wrong account.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.