Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

I Hate Having to Ask For My Glob Benefits

Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

As a long time FT'er, I have been thoroughly indoctrinated to refrain from anything that remotely smacks of DYKWIA. Therefore, it pains me to have to ask at almost every Hyatt stay for benefits I am already entitled to. I am convinced that this is a conscious strategy on the part of some Hyatt locations to not volunteer benefits in the hopes that you don't ask for them. This seems to be an almost dishonest business strategy. Wanting to know how you differentiate between DYKWIA and almost needing to beg to get the entitled benefits from many nights staying at Hyatt branded hotels?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:37 pm

It would not at all surprise me if it were a conscious strategy.

Ask for them every time. Getting what should be proactively given to you is not DYKWIA.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I agree, it happens too often to be a co-incidence. But I do think (hope) it is a site-by-site problem, not across the board.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

You put money into their program and you should be getting the published benefits at the bare minimum. It's that simple. I stopped going to certain properties because the GM decided to skip Diamond benefits and I had to ask for them.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
"Hey, now that I'm a new fancy globalist (with voice inflection or air quotes) instead of just a diamond, were you able to get me into a suite?"

I make it light with some attempt at humor.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I ran into a phone agent who couldn't quite manage to do the DSU I had requested. Instead of taking it to a supervisor, she replied "oh, you'll get a suite anyhow as a Globalist". I couldn't HUACA any faster...

Why Hyatt would go from "surprise and delight" to "over-promise and under-deliver" is beyond me...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
... still clinching my singular "upgrade" from a double to a king as a globalist. Good times.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I ran into a phone agent who couldn't quite manage to do the DSU I had requested. Instead of taking it to a supervisor, she replied "oh, you'll get a suite anyhow as a Globalist". I couldn't HUACA any faster...

Why Hyatt would go from "surprise and delight" to "over-promise and under-deliver" is beyond me...
Well, I'd take that any day if she could guarantee it.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I assume this is about the room upgrade?

No other benefits normally (sometime the 4pm checkout needs a bit if discussing) need any prompting....
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by RTW1
I assume this is about the room upgrade?

No other benefits normally (sometime the 4pm checkout needs a bit if discussing) need any prompting....
I get my bottled water maybe half the time without asking for it. I do agree with the tenor of this thread, though, it's getting tiresome having to ask for what we should get proactively.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
DYKWIA is not asking for what your are entitled to. It's asking in an arrogant fashion. Asking politely is fine.

Of course, I enjoy the proactivity, which is often served by giving letters that outline the benefits in general (but rarely miss the benefits unique to award stays).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I get my bottled water maybe half the time without asking for it. I do agree with the tenor of this thread, though, it's getting tiresome having to ask for what we should get proactively.
They've been leaving the water in my room lately. Admittedly with a $3-4 dollar pricetag on a little paper collar, but that's my 'free water' as far as I can tell.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Count me as a +1 who also feels saddened by the changes to WOH and the need to ask for the benefits that they advertise.

As I mentioned in another other thread, one of the changes that WOH could do to make the program better without spending a dime would be to remove the benefit of the unlimited suite upgrades at check in, and just let properties upgrade GLOB's at their discretion as the hotel gets full and they decide to upgrade customers into their empty suites.

Compared with the past dozen years as a Diamond, I have seen no difference in the number of suites that I have received for free. All this benefit has done is make me frustrated with the WOH benefit changes.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by smilee
Count me as a +1 who also feels saddened by the changes to WOH and the need to ask for the benefits that they advertise.

As I mentioned in another other thread, one of the changes that WOH could do to make the program better without spending a dime would be to remove the benefit of the unlimited suite upgrades at check in, and just let properties upgrade GLOB's at their discretion as the hotel gets full and they decide to upgrade customers into their empty suites.

Compared with the past dozen years as a Diamond, I have seen no difference in the number of suites that I have received for free. All this benefit has done is make me frustrated with the WOH benefit changes.
I've been fortunate enough to stay at a few hotels that gave the Glob suite upgrades (e.g., Houston Galleria, Bloomington, Phoenix), and I don't know that they would have done it as a Diamond without it being a Glob benefit.

Leaving it to the hotel's discretion probably makes no difference at the hotels where they play games with suite availability, but it might make a difference at those hotels that follow the rules or spirit of the benefits (and are in locations less frequented by Globs).

It is a little Machiavellian, but another FTer commented that he/she prefers that Globs have to ask for the suites because it means that those who do not ask are just leaving more suite availability for those of us that do ask. That really reduces it from a WoH benefit, and I hate having to ask, but it is true that if they give them to all Globs, there are fewer available for others. That is more like what it used to be with Diamonds.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I've been fortunate enough to stay at a few hotels that gave the Glob suite upgrades (e.g., Houston Galleria,
Yes, Galleria used to do so as well.

They could do what SPG does and ask for your preference at booking - largest room, highest floor, first available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.