Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Realistic improvements you want from WoH

Old May 19, 17, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond

I am curious what things people would like to see Hyatt change/add/fix with the loyalty program. Basically, what would make the program top of the line again (particularly from a Diamond level perspective since that is where the majority of benefits and loyalty expectation resides). Please put realistic things that could happen...so nothing that is facially absurd like 12 DSUs a year or things that we just know are impossible given the climate like FFN returning, etc.

For me, the changes the program needs in order to be top of the line again are:

-Have a HP/HH Diamond benefit. For every 10 nights in a HP/HH, give a 5000 point bonus. This way members still get a Diamond benefit from HP/HH. You still get credit towards status, and free nights, and Brand Explorer perk, so Hyatt saves a little by only giving 500 points a night (or per 1 night stay if you like) once you hit 10 nights. The number of people doing exactly 10 or 20 or 30 etc., would be small so most people would not even maximize the 500 a night. This would give some incentive for top level elites to stay at HP/HH again.

-Make the Brand Explorer benefit annual. Make it a category 4 night at 5 brands each year, and a category 7 at 10 brands each year.

-Give night credit for a max of 3 (even two would be reasonable) rooms that you personally pay for, like SPG. If I bring friends or family on a trip and because of me, they stay at a Hyatt and I pay the 2k bill for their room, give me the reward from bringing in the business. I know I get points, but if I am already one of your most loyal customers, I still brought the 5, or 10 etc extra nights in, I still brought in the revenue, so it is no different than if I stayed at another hotel later and paid again.

-Make free nights like Brand Explorer and the annual 30/60 night bonus nights good for 1 year (I think BE nights are already 1 year but for now you only get a max of 2 lifetime).

-Change the wording of the T&C to restore clear definition of best available room for room upgrades again. Make it definitive that the hotel WILL provide the HIGHEST CLASS of room up to and including entry level suites if they are available. No more hotel defines best room type, etc BS. This will not prevent hotels from blocking all rooms from inventory to prevent a member from seeing what is open, but lets be honest...MOST hotels are not going to go to that much trouble all the time just to avoid upgrades. Most are already pretty good about upgrades, at least to best non suite.

-Change the breakfast benefit to remove the moronic disincentive to bring family or friends to a Hyatt with you and pay for the business in cash. Make the benefit extend to a maximum 2 rooms when both rooms are paid for personally by a Diamond member. There is ZERO logic behind giving benefits to 2 rooms when you pay cash for one and points for another, but NOT when you pay cash, which is almost always more $ to the hotel than the points reimbursement.

-Make award stays count for qualification. Remove the enormous disincentive to ever actually use free nights or points. I can live with being asked to spend 1/6 of the year in Hyatt hotels, but let me use my points every so often (and maybe the free parking once in a while).

-Make DSUs bookable for the remainder of the year you earn them in plus the next membership year instead of 1 year from earning. I don't need a scenario where I can book until 1 day before expiration and then book for another whole year out. They can expire at the end of the benefit year. Example, I hit 60/55 nights and re-qualify in October 2017. Make the DSUs immediately bookable and require they be used on a stay starting on or before Jan 31, 2019.

-CHANGE THE NAMES. I refuse to use the current idiotic names.

A couple of things on the service side, that are not WoH directly related but I think would go a long way towards restoring affection for Hyatt.

-Stop the absurd BS with the BRG program. Go back to a customer friendly program that is not RIFE with borderline fraud with increasingly ridiculous rejections and denials. The move to the online system was incredible bad by itself, and it was only made worse with the obvious increase in Hyatt rejections. It has become like a worker's compensation claim...deny all claims the first time even legit ones, since it will save costs because most people will just let it go.

-Start forcing hotels to adhere to the T&C. Enough award night abuse, enough DSU abuse...the flagrant nonsense needs to stop.

Personally, I also think an addition of Diamond with 30 stays plus 5K in spend would be fine, although I can live without it honestly if they changed the things I listed. I am fine with the current Diamond with 60 nights first, then 55 as long as you keep it requirement if they actually ENHANCED the benefits, and not in a U.S. based airline program kind of enhancement. I can live with the removed Diamond amenity. I am fine with the new benefits being broken up between paid and award, like free parking only on awards. If these things changed, I would consider Hyatt the program to beat, without question.

Last edited by antonius66; May 19, 17 at 12:26 pm
Old May 19, 17, 1:00 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
It is time to move on. The WOH is here to stay. If you like it great. If you don't, try out another program. These programs tie people to the idea that some day it will be better. Why pine for something which does not exist? Make a choice based on rational thought rather than pretending that everything will be magically changed to benefit you.
Old May 19, 17, 1:19 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
It is time to move on. The WOH is here to stay. If you like it great. If you don't, try out another program. These programs tie people to the idea that some day it will be better. Why pine for something which does not exist? Make a choice based on rational thought rather than pretending that everything will be magically changed to benefit you.
Thank you, well said.
Old May 19, 17, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
A world class BRG. The current BRG is rubbish.
Old May 19, 17, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
What does BRG have to do with WoH (you know, the loyalty program)?
Old May 19, 17, 2:04 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: ex-Hyatt Diamond soon to ex-globalist, Alaska MVP gold, Marriott Gold,Hilton Diamond, Ex UA 1P
WoH has no interest in what we think, they haven't asked for input and i doubt they care about how the new program affects longterm customers.
Old May 19, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I'd love to add my $0.02 cents, because I can think of 3 things WoH could do that wouldn't (to my knowledge) cost them anything but would impact us.

However Wilma is correct. WoH doesn't care what I think, it's like a HS girlfriend who says "it's not you, it's me". They want to go in another direction. I'll miss GP and wish Hyatt well, but they aren't getting the nights from me they used too.
Old May 19, 17, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
What does BRG have to do with WoH (you know, the loyalty program)?
Every good loyalty program has a good Brg program. Hyatt has a program and a brg along with that but neither are good.
Old May 19, 17, 2:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
... it's like a HS girlfriend who says "it's not you, it's me".
Man, I hate to break it to you...it really was you.
Old May 19, 17, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Originally Posted by wilma View Post
WoH has no interest in what we think, they haven't asked for input and i doubt they care about how the new program affects longterm customers.
This is not correct - I have been contacted by a member of the WOH engagement team after filling out a post-stay survey with the express intent to get feedback on the new program changes and how I've been affected. There is a separate thread on FT regarding this topic. This is a departure than the usual contact from someone from the property when a survey was filled out pre-WOH.
Old May 19, 17, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by maewest View Post
This is not correct - I have been contacted by a member of the WOH engagement team after filling out a post-stay survey with the express intent to get feedback on the new program changes and how I've been affected. There is a separate thread on FT regarding this topic. This is a departure than the usual contact from someone from the property when a survey was filled out pre-WOH.
That's because you are a Glob. The rest of us are filed under "WoH doesn't care about........"

Only Glob's are getting contact from the 'engagement team'. Most Globs are telling the 'engagement team' what they want to hear.

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
Man, I hate to break it to you...it really was you.
Same as Hyatt................
Old May 19, 17, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by The smallest state View Post
Only Glob's are getting contact from the 'engagement team'. Most Globs are telling the 'engagement team' what they want to hear.
More precisely, based on the limited data we have it's only globs that are still spending money with Hyatt and bother to fill out a survey with negative comments.
Old May 19, 17, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Wow. I guess all people on here can do is grouse with no actual discussion of what they want. I guess everyone just hates everything and wants to complain without suggesting improvements. The idea that nothing can be changed is idiotic. Just because woh won't go away doesn't mean they won't or can't change anything. I mean, woh was a massive change by itself.
Old May 19, 17, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Wow. I guess all people on here can do is grouse with no actual discussion of what they want. I guess everyone just hates everything and wants to complain without suggesting improvements. The idea that nothing can be changed is idiotic. Just because woh won't go away doesn't mean they won't or can't change anything. I mean, woh was a massive change by itself.
Ok, here we go:

Realistic levels for elite tiers. 55/60 is plain ridiculous. If you want to have a top level that high, fine, but ...

- make it have tangible measurable benefits that are better than Diamond of GP.

- have intermediate levels that provide meaningful benefits. Look at the feedback the Explorist level has received. I don't anyone is aspiring to be an Explorist at the cost of 30 nights. And let's not even talk about Discoverist.

- make the credit card more "useful". I have zero desire right now to keep it in my wallet (I wouldn't even use it at a Hyatt property because my CSR gives me more flexible points). Offer the option to earn night credits through spend to compensate for your lack of properties in many areas. I am never going to put $50k on the card to earn Explorist, but I might be willing to designate some of my spend towards topping off my nights earned towards a status level. (I realize this is not going to be well received outside the US due to the lack of WoH credit cards there)

(I agree with several of the OP suggestions, too)

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 19, 17 at 6:08 pm Reason: Typo
Old May 19, 17, 6:01 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Hyatt Whateverist, Starwood LTP, Marriot Platinum (SPG merge)
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I am never going to put $50k on the card to earn Explorist, but I might be willing to designate some of my spend towards topping of my nights earned towards a status level.
The $50K is a very poorly thought-out "benefit". Explorist is only of value to Discoverist or below -- who spend relatively few nights at Hyatt.

Marriott counts $3K spend as one status night. Brilliant!

Search this Thread