Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Realistic improvements you want from WoH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Realistic improvements you want from WoH

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by RTW1
That's the big one..... or at least make Expl status mean something for those 30(!) nights.

But I also dislike how the quality of the program has been declining. Never more than in the last year I had to "fight" to get my benefits and that it took 3 requests and finally a complaint to get my status changed (50 nights, the last two on Dec 30/31) did it for me.

In reality is there is little chance I will return unless they make some significant changes. They should at least start with making good on their promises and provide that free suite and best room when available.

I will keep burning points this year and most likely will remain loyal to a few properties, but only when it suits me.
I agree that World of Hilarity is one of the worst loyalty programs out there and needs major changes. But I'm not even going to bother with that discussion until qualifications change back to something less irrational.

As for World of Hilarity, I consider IHG's Rewards Club to be a better program and I think that program's a total joke. I've abandoned loyalty programs before when they changed their program far less than this and I'll be gone here as soon as I'm done burning my cache of points.

Once the points are burned, the only business I'll do is my free annual night with the Hyatt CC. The CC will be in a sock drawer but it gives me Discoverist, which matches to MLife Pearl. MLife Pearl gives me free self parking at MLife properties so that represents more value to me than the annual free night (although my future Vegas stays are likely to go to the Cosmopolitan, Venetian/Palazzo, Wynn/Encore) - it'll come in handy when I want to see a show at an MLife property.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Still nothing to do with the topic of this thread, "realistic improvements you want from WoH".
It was in response to the suggestion of improving WoH by getting rid of targeted promotions.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JackE
It was in response to the suggestion of improving WoH by getting rid of targeted promotions.
I know. (Targeted) promotions are a feature of the loyalty program. Corporate rates or AAA rates aren't.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I do not think that Senior, AAA, and corporate rates come under the definition of "promotions". And I am positive that this is not what was being referred to as "targeted promotions" in the post you quoted.

Nevertheless, there is one small link between Senior, AAA, and corporate rates and WoH - the fact that they are "eligible rates".

Are you suggesting that you would like to "improve" WoH by making Senior, AAA, and corporate rates no longer "eligible rates" under the WoH program?

If that is not what you are suggesting, then I'm afraid I cannot imagine any reason to include Senior, AAA, and corporate rates in a discussion of how to improve WoH.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I do not think that Senior, AAA, and corporate rates come under the definition of "promotions". And I am positive that this is not what was being referred to as "targeted promotions" in the post you quoted.

Nevertheless, there is one small link between Senior, AAA, and corporate rates and WoH - the fact that they are "eligible rates".

Are you suggesting that you would like to "improve" WoH by making Senior, AAA, and corporate rates no longer "eligible rates" under the WoH program?

If that is not what you are suggesting, then I'm afraid I cannot imagine any reason to include Senior, AAA, and corporate rates in a discussion of how to improve WoH.
I was not suggesting anything change with rates and promos that depend on who we work for or how old we are or what clubs we belong to.

I was suggesting that rates and promos that are specific to only some of us do not bother me, assuming of course it is legal. It's just marketing. For example, it may simply be A/B testing. Why would anyone get outraged at that?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why would anyone get outraged at that?
If you are not bothered when someone is given the opportunity to stay for far less, gets 50k in miles, or gets Glob in just a 3rd of your nights.... good for you. It bothers lots of other people, including me. Especially when the target criteria seem to be just random.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:17 pm

I was not suggesting anything change with rates and promos that depend on who we work for or how old we are or what clubs we belong to.

I was suggesting that rates and promos that are specific to only some of us do not bother me, assuming of course it is legal. It's just marketing. For example, it may simply be A/B testing. Why would anyone get outraged at that?
Well if we're really talking about targeted promos, I'm not sure I could agree that there is never a reason for someone to feel systematically discriminated against.

Small perks for certain groups are one thing, but offering very lucrative point promos to certain people can leave a bad taste, especially since they most often focus almost entirely on only US residents. The current 20-night Glob offer to only those working for certain large companies is another example.

For me personally I've become resigned to my own diminishing presence in the WoH universe and am no longer bothered by such discriminatory practices, but I can see how someone working on keeping Glob status for years to come might feel outrage at always getting the short end of the stick.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
If you are not bothered when someone is given the opportunity to stay for far less, gets 50k in miles, or gets Glob in just a 3rd of your nights.... good for you. It bothers lots of other people, including me. Especially when the target criteria seem to be just random.
I hadn't put the 20-night offer in the context of a promotion, but OK, let's do that. Then my problem with it is not that anyone gets the benefits easier; my problem would be if it makes my getting benefits harder. It may possibly make suites harder to get. But I think the daily water bottles are safe, lol.

As far as RCs go, I don't think nearly-empty clubs benefit anyone. I find it too quiet when I'm the only guest in a club. And I think the offerings will suffer if club guests are few and far between.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:59 am

I hadn't put the 20-night offer in the context of a promotion, but OK, let's do that. Then my problem with it is not that anyone gets the benefits easier; my problem would be if it makes my getting benefits harder.
So you don't think that members having difficulty in increasing their stays from 50 nights to 60 nights to requalify this year have any reason to be upset at a targeted promo that hands out Glob status to others for staying just 20 nights?

You don't think that maybe I might be just a bit upset that my 30 nights this year will gain me Explo status next year while some people staying 20 nights will be given Glob?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:56 am

I don't know if these are realistic or not (probably not happening in any case, but these don't seem to me to be unreasonable)...

1. Useful benefits for Explorer status (since that's what I have). Here I'm thinking breakfast even if there isn't a club lounge at the property. Seems reasonable to me as Marriott and Hilton generally provide breakfast for their Golds, which seems equivalent to Explorer.

2. Credit for points stay. Everyone else does it, so it must be doable from their perspective.

3. Reduce Globalist from 60 to 50 nights. It looks like I can get to around 40ish, and could conceive of stretching for 50, but 60 will be out of reach. (I realize though that reasoning will apply for some people no matter where the line is drawn.)

4. Actual compliance "with best room or suite available" for Explorists and Globalists, as applicable. It certainly seems like most properties are taking the discretion they've been given as a license to ignore upgrading elites. We can all see what rooms are available for sale, and know when we're not being given something that Hyatt advertises (but stops short of promising) as a benefit. I guess Hyatt will have to do more to induce properties to give away these upgrades, which probably ultimately means paying them do so, which of course eventually gets reflected in high room rates. Still, I think in general that means the masses subsidizing elites to a small extent, which I think makes sense.

But I get the feeling they really don't care. We're more likely to see Globalist changed to Hipsterist in a misguided attempt to capture what Hyatt thinks is the market it wants, and to see the qualification change from 60 to 80 nights so that only the most committed can qualify for the Cat 1-3 cert that expires 14 days after hitting the 80 nights.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
How Hyatt sees us.......................................

Member - 10% discount at certain properties........maybe
Discoverist - higher level of service and comfort around the world with a free water and some Wi-fi
Explorist - more comforts, rewards and upgrades around the world with 4x club access
Globalist - the highest level of luxury, and rewards and benefits

Realism sets in..........

Member - A nobody
Discoverist - Discovering Marriott and Hilton properties as we speak, still a nobody, we just have to acknowledge.
Explorist - Exploring Marriott and Hilton properties as we speak, the borderline between a nobody and an almost nobody
Globalist - After having the Diamond amenities taken away they are now answering emails to the "World of Hyatt Engagement team" in the deluded hope that something will change.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I hadn't put the 20-night offer in the context of a promotion, but OK, let's do that. Then my problem with it is not that anyone gets the benefits easier; my problem would be if it makes my getting benefits harder.
Maybe then next year Hyatt should just not publish any qualification requirement. No one is going to be upset anymore about the increase to 60 nights (from 25 stays). Everyone will get whatever status Hyatt deems they are worthy off (or whatever A/B testing assigns to them). Hyatt can finally fully control how many elites at each level they have because they simply "mint" the exact number they want.

Think that's unrealistic? It's just taking targeted promos and 50k UA mile give-aways to the next level. And given how much WoH resembles bizarro world, it would absolutely not surprise me.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

Think that's unrealistic? It's just taking targeted promos and 50k UA mile give-aways to the next level. And given how much WoH resembles bizarro world, it would absolutely not surprise me.

Yep. They are already doing this, in that some people who were Diamond last year have Hyatt Concierges, some people who were Diamond last year and are Globs this year don't, and even under WOH, where you are supposed to be immediately contacted about your new My Hyatt Concierge benefit once you quality for Glob, people are reporting that that isn't happening either.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by The smallest state
they are now answering emails to the "World of Hyatt Engagement team" in the deluded hope that something will change.
Exactly. Frequent flyer/stay programs are designed to get people to change their behavior in a way that often would not make sense otherwise. If Hyatt can take away most of the benefits and still get people to act irrationally, good for them. They have found the holy grail of rewards programs from the company's point of view.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
This

Originally Posted by The smallest state
How Hyatt sees us.......................................

Member - 10% discount at certain properties........maybe
Discoverist - higher level of service and comfort around the world with a free water and some Wi-fi
Explorist - more comforts, rewards and upgrades around the world with 4x club access
Globalist - the highest level of luxury, and rewards and benefits

Realism sets in..........

Member - A nobody
Discoverist - Discovering Marriott and Hilton properties as we speak, still a nobody, we just have to acknowledge.
Explorist - Exploring Marriott and Hilton properties as we speak, the borderline between a nobody and an almost nobody
Globalist - After having the Diamond amenities taken away they are now answering emails to the "World of Hyatt Engagement team" in the deluded hope that something will change.
WoH outreach confirmation

Again, we really appreciate the time you’ve taken and your level of participation, your insight and your business is extremely important to us. Though we do not have any planned changes to World of Hyatt at this time, I will make sure your input (along with that of our other top tier members) is expedited to our World of Hyatt management for review!
Sadly, nothing is going to change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.