Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Denver confirm booking denied

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Denver confirm booking denied

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 5:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not much different from the way airlines overbook except for the time deadline when a flight departs.

Would you want to see higher rates if hotels never overbook?
That is assuming hotels engaging in overbooking results in actual rate reductions for customers. I would assume no such outcome is guaranteed from a hotel changing from a "never overbooking" policy to a "sometimes overbooking" policy.

Analogies between airlines and hotels don't hold, even when there is a common sort of issue with spoilage of inventory.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That is assuming hotels engaging in overbooking results in actual rate reductions for customers. I would assume no such outcome is guaranteed from a hotel changing from a "never overbooking" policy to a "sometimes overbooking" policy.

Analogies between airlines and hotels don't hold, even when there is a common sort of issue with spoilage of inventory.

Overbooking may not result in rate reductions, but you can be certain that the lack thereof will result in rate increases.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ntr91
Overbooking may not result in rate reductions, but you can be certain that the lack thereof will result in rate increases.
Yup. We will pay for empty rooms one way or another.

Besides which this is a typically academic (trans: pointless) FT debate, because the industry standard is not going to change.

I do appreciate OP's report, because it's good to know which properties handles this poorly when it happens.

My sole overbooking experience was handled so well, it actually created loyalty to the property (Boston Harbour Hotel) which did it to me.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well.

As a former Hyatt employee, I can sound in on this.
Does the room rate impact the selection of the traveler given the boot?

E.g., if I prepaid for the room, do I have a greater right to get what I already paid for?
Old May 18, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If a hotel walks a guest on a prepaid rate, are they required to refund the rate plus interest? If so, how is the interest calculated? (If not, that just sounds illegal, although I'm not sure exactly what law would cover it. IANAL.)
Old May 18, 2017, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by austin_modern
... which is precisely why you don't wait til midnight to check in. You do so on your phone well prior. It's not hard.

you know sometimes can't check in on your phone! not hard to understand that some people have a long flight, coming from abroad, etc.... and you don't have a choice in when or the matter in which you checkin!
Old May 18, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by synd

you know sometimes can't check in on your phone! not hard to understand that some people have a long flight, coming from abroad, etc.... and you don't have a choice in when or the matter in which you checkin!
While this is true - you can still book some major-chain hotels that don't have OLCI, or you could be in the midst of a 30-hour journey on aircraft with no wifi - I do think OLCI probably *helps*. (Again, I don't think it's a foolproof way to not get walked.)

On 99% of my hotel stays, I know I *can* OLCI. They're in a Hyatt/Hilton/Starwood/Marriott where the function exists. (Digital Key might not.) Therefore, I do it if I'm at all concerned about a sold out hotel, even though at Hilton I'm pretty sure it throws me out of the upgrade pool. My crap Hyatt status means I don't have to worry about an upgrade.

So it's definitely advice I'd give to others here. In a non-condescending manner, of course. If you are somewhere with connectivity, take the few seconds to open the app and OLCI. It can't hurt.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by pinniped
So it's definitely advice I'd give to others here. In a non-condescending manner, of course. If you are somewhere with connectivity, take the few seconds to open the app and OLCI. It can't hurt.
Of course, if everyone follows that advice, it isn't going to help.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm always afraid that checking in to a hotel in advance will mean that I miss suite upgrades.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm always afraid that checking in to a hotel in advance will mean that I miss suite upgrades.
I don't. To lose that fear, become an Explorist.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I don't. To lose that fear, become an Explorist.
No thank you. At least for now, I'm a Glob.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Does the room rate impact the selection of the traveler given the boot?

E.g., if I prepaid for the room, do I have a greater right to get what I already paid for?
Yes, typically the room rate and booking channel are factored in. Most often the 1st candidates for walking are 1 night, OTA (Expedia, Travelocity, etc) reservations.

While hotels do indeed purposely overbook in anticipation on no-shows, cancellations, etc., the 48 hr reservation guarantee for Globalists (or any top tier elite) doesn't help the situation. If the hotel was already sold out 2 days out and several Globalists pushed through reservations making them oversold, their options could be limited. Just a thought...

The post regarding having hotels ask for volunteers bring up an excellent point. It really would solve lots of headaches for both the hotel and the guest arriving late after a days worth of travel.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Bfhause
Yes, typically the room rate and booking channel are factored in. Most often the 1st candidates for walking are 1 night, OTA (Expedia, Travelocity, etc) reservations.

While hotels do indeed purposely overbook in anticipation on no-shows, cancellations, etc., the 48 hr reservation guarantee for Globalists (or any top tier elite) doesn't help the situation. If the hotel was already sold out 2 days out and several Globalists pushed through reservations making them oversold, their options could be limited. Just a thought...

The post regarding having hotels ask for volunteers bring up an excellent point. It really would solve lots of headaches for both the hotel and the guest arriving late after a days worth of travel.
I've seen hotels ask for volunteers a few times. The one I remember most clearly was announced with a sign beside the registration desks starting in the early afternoon of the day a big convention was arriving. The deal was to spend the first night at a much better hotel about ten blocks away for free the first night, and then move back to the convention property the following afternoon. IIRC they were also paying for taxis to and from the other hotel. It would have been very tempting to stay at that better hotel, but sometimes it's much more convenient to stay on site. [I didn't notice people rushing to volunteer, but I didn't hear tales of lots of people being involuntarily walked when they arrived later that day either.] I don't know why they had such a significant oversale for that night, but I suspect it was some sports event in town....or it might have been people who just refused to leave after NYE.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:54 am

Of course, if everyone follows that advice, it isn't going to help.
But if only 95% of people follow the advice, it will.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Back to the OP's original case, it's frustrating (but not unimaginable) for the HH to walk someone. It's downright inexcusable for them to send you to a hotel which was also sold out, and that should result in some extra compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.