hyatt mlife loophole

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by theshaun
Can anyone help me with the above?
Can you match a second account in January or does it always have to be the same Hyatt account # ?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does he need a 2nd account?

I thought that this worked because Hyatt status expires in February and mLife expires in October. So as soon as one expires, you match from the one that has not expired.

So... you are Explorist through Feb 2020. There is no point doing anything yet.

In Oct 2019, you status match to mLife. Now you have mLife status which will not expire until the end of Sept 2020.
When your Hyatt status expires in Feb 2020, you status match from mLife. Now you have Explorist until Feb 2021.

You repeat this every October (when mLife expires) and February (when WoH expires)
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

I thought that this worked because Hyatt status expires in February and mLife expires in October. So as soon as one expires, you match from the one that has not expired.

In Oct 2019, you status match to mLife. Now you have mLife status which will not expire until the end of Sept 2020.
When your Hyatt status expires in Feb 2020, you status match from mLife. Now you have Explorist until Feb 2021.
No, in this case you would have Explorist until Feb 2022. Assuming this hole still exists in March 2020.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 8:56 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Sounds like with the new Milestone rewards, Explorists will no longer automatically receive the club upgrade awards but rather have to earn them through stays... so there's very little benefit left from the MLife match (other than guaranteed late checkout I suppose).
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by dw
Sounds like with the new Milestone rewards, Explorists will no longer automatically receive the club upgrade awards but rather have to earn them through stays... so there's very little benefit left from the MLife match (other than guaranteed late checkout I suppose).
Seems that way. The T&Cs currently omit Mlife relationship (Appendix D).

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...t-terms-2.html
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Will have to try it next year, but they might still work to extend the expiration date of existing club certs.
beltway likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Will have to try it next year, but they might still work to extend the expiration date of existing club certs.
You're always so much better with this type of thing than I am. Are you thinking that now with the milestone change there might be some benefit (re Club Upgrades) of trying this between Jan 1 and the end of Feb, and much less chance after Mar 1?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
You're always so much better with this type of thing than I am. Are you thinking that now with the milestone change there might be some benefit (re Club Upgrades) of trying this between Jan 1 and the end of Feb, and much less chance after Mar 1?
You give me far too much credit.

This year I did my own account before March, and my wife's account after. The result was that both accounts ended up with club access awards extended by a year, but my wife's account had Explorist status extended by an additional year more than mine.

I'll probably just do the same next year, and let the chips fall where they may.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:56 am

You give me far too much credit.

This year I did my own account before March, and my wife's account after. The result was that both accounts ended up with club access awards extended by a year, but my wife's account had Explorist status extended by an additional year more than mine.

I'll probably just do the same next year, and let the chips fall where they may.
Makes sense. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to try the matching before the end of Feb and see if the system thinks that is something occurring before the switch to milestones. I'm not really expecting much of anything though.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Did I make a mistake?

I didn't check my current Mlife status before opting in again via Hyatt. After I had gone through the link, I got the message that my account would update within the next 7 days, but then I realized that I was still Platinum at Mlife through 9/19. I really don't use Mlife at all expect for the status loophole, so I suppose there's no real downside to dropping down to Gold... but curious if others have accidentally requested a status match to a level below where they already are. Hopefully the status match will just reject the request since I'm already higher.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

You repeat this every October (when mLife expires) and February (when WoH expires)
wish I knew about this when I was still Globalist! But at least I was able to use Explorist to get Mlife Pearl. Better than nothing I guess. And I can flip back to Explorist later in 19 too. Late checkout is a nice perk
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Makes sense. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm going to try the matching before the end of Feb and see if the system thinks that is something occurring before the switch to milestones. I'm not really expecting much of anything though.
I still have Platinum from matching GP Diamond to MLife back in the day, so I tried matching back to my Hyatt account again, the one I re-matched last January.

Before doing the match, I had Explorist level to February 28, 2019, and four Club Upgrade awards that expire in February 29, 2020.

After the match, I have Explorist level to February 29, 2020, and eight Club Upgrade awards that expire in February 29, 2020.

Also received the following mail:

Dear HAILSTORM,

We're excited to welcome you to another year as a World of Hyatt Explorist. The same care, rewards, and experiences will continue to be at your fingertips.

Heres a highlight of the luxuries and services youll enjoy for another year:

Enjoy more rewards

Access preferred rooms, premium Internet and a bottle of water daily.

Relax and unwind

Receive 4 Club lounge access awards, which include breakfast daily.

Earn points

Earn points on qualifying nights, dining, spa experiences and more. Plus, receive 20% Bonus Points on those purchases.

Use points with ease

Spend points on free nights (with no blackout dates at Hyatt hotels and resorts), airline miles or car rental awards and share points with other World of Hyatt members.

Learn more about your benefits and the Program Terms at worldofhyatt.com.
Not sure if I really have eight club upgrades that all expire in 2020, or if the four old ones will still expire this March.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:29 am

I still have Platinum from matching GP Diamond to MLife back in the day, so I tried matching back to my Hyatt account again, the one I re-matched last January.

Before doing the match, I had Explorist level to February 28, 2019, and four Club Upgrade awards that expire in February 29, 2020.

After the match, I have Explorist level to February 29, 2020, and eight Club Upgrade awards that expire in February 29, 2020.

Also received the following mail:

Not sure if I really have eight club upgrades that all expire in 2020, or if the four old ones will still expire this March.
After reading your post I went ahead and did the match again.

Before the match I had Explorist to Feb 29, 2020 and 8 Club Upgrade awards all expiring Feb 29, 2020, with 6 redeemed (applied for reservations in April and Nov 2019). I had received 4 of the Club Access awards when I was downgraded from Globalist to Explorist on March 1, 2018 and 4 more from doing the M-Life match in March 2018.

After the match I have Explorist to Feb 29, 2020 and 12 Club Upgrade awards all expiring Feb 29, 2020, showing 6 redeemed and 6 available.

I received the same e-mail from Hyatt, with the "welcome to another year of Explorist, but no apparent extension of my previous Explorist expiration.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Y'all check your accounts again in a few days. I did this a month or two ago and it was successful but then reverted to original expiration date after a few days.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:32 am

Red face

I'm getting an error message trying to match Mlife Gold --> Hyatt (I've done this before, with Explorist currently expiring end of February 2019):
We're sorry! We're currently unable to process your request. Please try again later.
Your M life Rewards and World of Hyatt accounts have already been matched.
I saw on DoC the tip to log off Hyatt and try again.. still same error... uh oh...

EDIT TO ADD: no sooner did I post this that I got an email saying welcome to another year of Explorist status... feverishly logged back into my hyatt profile, saw expiration 2/29/2020 and club upgrade awards too... now we will see if it sticks, per stgermainparis above..

Last edited by levilevi; Jan 2, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: Follow up email, success!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.