Wiki Posts
Search

Cat 3 property. Cat 4.2 price.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Cat 3 property. Cat 4.2 price.

While logged in to my account, so the system could see that I am entitled to Club access, a property listed only two room/bed types for redemption. They are regular rooms with Club access.

This property is a Cat 3, so rooms are 15K, or 21K with RC access. But the only redemption options were room-and-club, priced at 21K, which exceeds Cat 4 pricing. If I decide to stay, I suppose I'll call it in and assume they can book at 15K, given Club Access is included with my tier.

So beware out there!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JackE
This property is a Cat 3, so rooms are 15K, or 21K with RC access. But the only redemption options were room-and-club, priced at 21K, which exceeds Cat 4 pricing. If I decide to stay, I suppose I'll call it in and assume they can book at 15K, given Club Access is included with my tier.
Let us know how that works out. I would agree with your logic, but does WoH agree?

I would also be interested in knowing why they only show the room+club access rates. I saw the same thing the other day. Is it an upgraded (club level) room? You as a glob would still be entitled to a free upgrade to it, but I (expl) wouldn't.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately your logic isn't going to hold.

Without knowing which hotel, it's hard to judge, but I've never seen a room type of "standard room including club access". A "Club Room" is a different room type. And whilst we've all gotten used to getting room upgrades as Diamonds / Globalists, this isn't guaranteed, only the access to the Club is. So "but I would get that room anyhow" is unlikely to work.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I doubt it's going to work as well... the cat-3 points reward levels are for availability of the basic rooms, which is not the same as a club room.

Nothing to be aware of, you just need to book at a time when basic rooms are still available. Those are the rules.
If basic rooms are still available, but not offered on the website for redemption, then you have a case.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by RTW1
I doubt it's going to work as well... the cat-3 points reward levels are for availability of the basic rooms, which is not the same as a club room.

Nothing to be aware of, you just need to book at a time when basic rooms are still available. Those are the rules.
If basic rooms are still available, but not offered on the website for redemption, then you have a case.
Exactly, the award for a basic room and the award for a club room are completely separate. If the award for a basic room is not showing the basic rooms may be sold out or the property may be blocking them even for cash bookings, or they may be playing games and only offering them on packages.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JackE
They are regular rooms with Club access.
How can you be sure of this?

What property?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
It is true that at some properties the "Club Room" is in fact just a regular room with club access (meaning no difference in the hard product), but nevertheless it is classified and sold as a "Club Room", and therefore in a different award category.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:00 pm

Saw this scenario the other day while looking at the Grand Hyatt Tampa.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The big difference also being that awards for the standard room need to be offered when standard rooms are available for sale. The property can do whatever they want for club rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.