Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Globalist Guaranteed Room Availability (NOT)

Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k

I have never tried to use this supposed benefit before, but wanted to use it today. I was told that hotels may not release rooms in time of high demand, even to Globalists. What then is the point of this guarantee? I do not need it unless there is high demand and the hotel is sold out.

I don't understand the point of offering a "guarantee" that is not guaranteed!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sAAul
Welcome to the wonderful world of hotel loyalty programs.
Dr_wanderlust and IAD_flyer like this.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:01 pm
Community Director Emerita

Did you request the room at least 48 hours in advance?

If so, were you told that the hotel had black out dates and what they were?

If yes to the first and no to the second, I'd call and ask for a supervisor.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum, Air France Platinum,, Bonvoy titanium, AC 50k
Yes, this is for a stay in Ottawa on May 16. I doubt there is any particulr blackout period as rooms are available on the 15th and 17th and I could not find anything special going on then. I was told that individual hotels can choose not to make rooms available.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've been denied this benefit a few times in the past due to "extreme demand" with no formal blackout dates in place.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I've been denied this benefit a few times in the past due to "extreme demand" with no formal blackout dates in place.
That's a bogus defense unless EVERY room has already been booked to top tiers.

Otherwise, they should walk someone who is not guaranteed a room or set up a system where guests can sell their reservations, similar to what effectively happens on airlines.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:17 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
I have never tried to use this supposed benefit before, but wanted to use it today. I was told that hotels may not release rooms in time of high demand, even to Globalists. What then is the point of this guarantee? I do not need it unless there is high demand and the hotel is sold out.

Is it possible the property has a multiple night minimum for that weekend? If I recall, you would need to satisfy any multiple night requirements even when invoking the Guaranteed Availability.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nope... it's simply another feature of the program that has been devaluated to mean very little anymore....
When you actually could benefit from it it they state extraordinary demand and that's it. Happens for instance every weekend now for some of the Amsterdam properties...

I've used it in the past and it was sometimes useful, another reason to just burn points now.

Last edited by RTW1; May 1, 2017 at 1:34 am
Old May 1, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW1
Nope... it's simply another feature of the program that has been devaluated to mean very little anymore....
When you actually could benefit from it it they state extraordinary demand and that's it. Happens for instance every weekend now for some of the Amsterdam properties...

I've used it in the past and it was sometimes useful, another reason to just burn points now.
This benefit has always been a joke, even under gold passport.

You're guaranteed a room unless there is extreme demand... which is the only time you'd need a guarantee. Empty promise and meaningless benefit.

Reminds me of the no blackout dates for award bookings. Properties still have a few times a year where they block awards, they just don't call them "blackout dates" even though that's exactly what they are.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:25 am

deleted

Last edited by GSunitedloyal; May 1, 2017 at 8:57 am
Old May 1, 2017, 6:30 pm

Yes, this is for a stay in Ottawa on May 16. I doubt there is any particulr blackout period as rooms are available on the 15th and 17th and I could not find anything special going on then. I was told that individual hotels can choose not to make rooms available.
May 17 is the National Science and Innovation Gala so the hotel could be sold out for that. People arriving in the day before to get ready. It's also the Future Building: Ottawa May 16-18. Comic con is the weekend before. Good luck! I hope availability will open up for you. I've stayed at the Andaz, and it is nice.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JackE
That's a bogus defense unless EVERY room has already been booked to top tiers.

Otherwise, they should walk someone who is not guaranteed a room or set up a system where guests can sell their reservations, similar to what effectively happens on airlines.
Moreover, in most cases, it benefits the hotel to sell a room at rack rate (IIRC with no elite benefits such as upgrades) to a Glob and walk someone else who has booked at a lower rate. One would think that hotels would love to participate in this "benefit"when they can. Maybe the hotel has contracted rooms to meeting VIPs and those who are also organizing very profitable events at the hotel?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just had this happen to me. I'm trying to stay at the Hyatt Place Reno Airport Friday/Saturday of this upcoming weekend (labor day weekend). My concierge denied me citing "extreme demand".

This benefit doesn't make sense to me....
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:02 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bworrell
I just had this happen to me. I'm trying to stay at the Hyatt Place Reno Airport Friday/Saturday of this upcoming weekend (labor day weekend). My concierge denied me citing "extreme demand".

This benefit doesn't make sense to me....
I just tried it, and I can book a "Guaranteed Availability" rate of $289 for Saturday night on the website. Friday looks generally available ...
Old Sep 2, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have found this benefit to be generally tedious.

Properties don’t list their blackout dates and seem to misuse it citing “high demand” even on what may not be a typical “blackout date”. On top of that the rates are insane typically 4x the usual rate.

From looking at it one would think any Hyatt property would be available any time (if booking over 48 hours ahead), and you’d pay the standard rate. Instead it’s actually limited availability paying a hefty price tag. A friend who’s a Hilton Diamond has been able to use their status to book Award Stays even on otherwise sold out nights as long as it’s within the 48 hour period. Just odd to me.

But Overall Glob is amazing, just this one benefit seems very tedious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.