Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
53 after checkout yesterday.

Maybe should have put some of this credit card spend earlier in the year elsewhere. Oh, well.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
50 now, will be 60 sharp and a first time Globalist after my CC closes end of month
shuuy, ZBigFam and VegasGambler like this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
53 after checkout yesterday.

Maybe should have put some of this credit card spend earlier in the year elsewhere. Oh, well.
Just end the year on a multiple of 10 nights and you are good. 10k bonus per 10 nights over 60 = 1.4 pts/$ which is not bad for unbonused spend
Biggie Fries and drewp123 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
First Time Globalist

55 today, and will be 60 (and Globalist) soon for the first time. CC spend has gone from Amex SPG to WOH Visa. Still will attain 50 nights of Bonvoy- but no more Ambassador status for me. This year will be my 9th year platinum, so 1 more to go. The transition has been relatively easy, learning lots about both Marriott and Hyatt properties as I go. More decisions to make next year, as retirement looms.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
56 nights with about 14 more planned (most awards). Back to Marriott to get at least Titanium although I'd prefer to stay with Hyatt. We'll see what happens with the fall promo.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I'm way short of re-qualifying, only 20 nights so far, but I will make it.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pageboy
55 today, and will be 60 (and Globalist) soon for the first time. CC spend has gone from Amex SPG to WOH Visa. Still will attain 50 nights of Bonvoy- but no more Ambassador status for me. This year will be my 9th year platinum, so 1 more to go. The transition has been relatively easy, learning lots about both Marriott and Hyatt properties as I go. More decisions to make next year, as retirement looms.
Would love to hear your perspective of the two programs in a separate thread.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Outside of coverage and some good legacy SPG properties there isnt much special or even competent about Marriott
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Outside of coverage and some good legacy SPG properties there isnt much special or even competent about Marriott
I can't even register for their current (almost useless) promo.

I love that they are able to make Hyatt IT look good.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I can't even register for their current (almost useless) promo.

I love that they are able to make Hyatt IT look good.
I have read complaints about Hyatt IT (and I get the "undergoing maintenance" note too often on the home page) but it is a frickin' joy compared to the ongoing Marriott IT CF.
josephstern likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant

Being in a similar lifestage I have some free if unsolicited advice to the broader board. Worry about lifetime status first, somewhere, if you do not already have it. Don't jump ship either way unless that is in the bag or there is an obvious clear path to attaining it.

Much as I prefer the Hyatt room product, very much prefer the Hyatt resort product, and generally speaking prefer the Hyatt (Place) second-tier product; the Hyatt lifetime spend requirement is a hurdle unless you are on expenses or have a budget such it does not matter to you. I don't see myself crossing it on my own dime.

My heavy business travel ran about eight years on my own expense. I kept top tier at Hyatt, Starwood, and Marriott. When that slowed down I cut back to Hyatt as the most desirable and most attainable status, but as we all know with program changes attainability ended abruptly and is not a clear choice anymore. The Marriott-Starwood merger saved me from life as a hotel peasant when they lumped everything together and lifetime status arrived out of the blue.

That has been a wonderful and unexpected blessing, but had I concentrated spending at Hyatt I might be there instead. Not that I'm in a bad spot, and not to mention Marriott is more likely to have a club, but I still like Hyatt rooms better.
ZBigFam and 59Impala like this.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 23, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is probably good advice.

Even if you still maintain globalist organically, lifetime globalist is still really valuable -- you get double free nights and double TSUs.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jayer
Being in a similar lifestage I have some free if unsolicited advice to the broader board. Worry about lifetime status first, somewhere, if you do not already have it. Don't jump ship either way unless that is in the bag or there is an obvious clear path to attaining it.

Much as I prefer the Hyatt room product, very much prefer the Hyatt resort product, and generally speaking prefer the Hyatt (Place) second-tier product; the Hyatt lifetime spend requirement is a hurdle unless you are on expenses or have a budget such it does not matter to you. I don't see myself crossing it on my own dime.

My heavy business travel ran about eight years on my own expense. I kept top tier at Hyatt, Starwood, and Marriott. When that slowed down I cut back to Hyatt as the most desirable and most attainable status, but as we all know with program changes attainability ended abruptly and is not a clear choice anymore. The Marriott-Starwood merger saved me from life as a hotel peasant when they lumped everything together and lifetime status arrived out of the blue.

That has been a wonderful and unexpected blessing, but had I concentrated spending at Hyatt I might be there instead. Not that I'm in a bad spot, and not to mention Marriott is more likely to have a club, but I still like Hyatt rooms better.
This is great advice if you're looking to travel after retirement - exactly how I've been thinking about my loyalty - although I'm decades away from retirement.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for this advice. I will follow through with Hyatt.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Being in a similar lifestage I have some free if unsolicited advice to the broader board. Worry about lifetime status first, somewhere, if you do not already have it. Don't jump ship either way unless that is in the bag or there is an obvious clear path to attaining it. ...
Putting aside whether its ever smart to chase lifetime status, which can be devalued or eliminated overnight, this only seems like good advice for people who are already at least half to two-thirds of the way to lifetime status at a chain they really like and can get the rest of the way without sacrificing much in terms of convenience and/or cost.

Theres something a little odd about staying at ones second- or third-choice hotel just because of status, particularly if were talking about two or three vacations per year in retirement and not 90 nights per year of business travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.