Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Sure!

Though, certainly you see the point that lines need drawn somewhere -- if everyone got 4 free TSU's, nobody would be able to have expectation to use them (there is a thread complaining of that as is). If everyone got waived resort fees, then they would just be a part of the room's rate. I know it can be hard to have a program change for some who have gotten 'used' to running up just enough stays for status at Hyatt and SPG and Marriot and wherever else they decide to chase status every-year. As much as I would love AAdvantage Exec Plat status and be on top of the first class upgrade list, bottom line is though I fly every time with American (courtesy of living within 10 miles of an airport only they serve), I just don't spend $12,000 plus taxes a year in airline tickets for myself. Heck, I don't quite spend $3,000 pre taxes to be given any status because I nearly always book 11th or 12th tier discount fares and only fly maybe 8-10 times a year. But that is that.

I think for a hotel program to give strong benefits, they have to reserve them for a relative small group. Is 60 nights the right cutoff for Hyatt? I don't know. Maybe 50 is, maybe 75 is. Hyatt has to figure out for themselves if they are capturing enough attention (or loyalty) from the program or are giving too many too much. Last year, they obviously chose that they were giving too much to too many with short, frequent stays (hence the drop in welcome amenities and qualification on stays -- really the biggest 'devaluation' of the program is targetted specifically towards that group). They decided 60 was a good metric (slightly more than they had before) for top status and upped some perks with that as well as give extra perks to anyone staying more than that up to 100 nights. Maybe they'll adjust these things, maybe not. But the expectation should be that it is 'hard' to get the highest level of recognition that comes with the most lucrative benefits.
I agree with you this issue I have is the smaller footprint of Hyatt versus others. It's sad to lose the top tier but so be it, was a great ride
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I think for a hotel program to give strong benefits, they have to reserve them for a relative small group. Is 60 nights the right cutoff for Hyatt? I don't know. Maybe 50 is, maybe 75 is. Hyatt has to figure out for themselves if they are capturing enough attention (or loyalty) from the program or are giving too many too much. Last year, they obviously chose that they were giving too much to too many with short, frequent stays (hence the drop in welcome amenities and qualification on stays -- really the biggest 'devaluation' of the program is targetted specifically towards that group). They decided 60 was a good metric (slightly more than they had before) for top status and upped some perks with that as well as give extra perks to anyone staying more than that up to 100 nights. Maybe they'll adjust these things, maybe not. But the expectation should be that it is 'hard' to get the highest level of recognition that comes with the most lucrative benefits.
Dunno if you have been watching Hyatt for the last few years, but it was quite widely speculated on this forum that the motivation for the removal of qualification on stays was a knee-jerk response at thinning the Diamond numbers, after a spectacular screw-up in status matching which basically saw everyone and his dog get matched to Diamond, rather than because of a specific concern that qualification by stays were producing too many Diamonds.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by stargold
Dunno if you have been watching Hyatt for the last few years, but it was quite widely speculated on this forum that the motivation for the removal of qualification on stays was a knee-jerk response at thinning the Diamond numbers, after a spectacular screw-up in status matching which basically saw everyone and his dog get matched to Diamond, rather than because of a specific concern that qualification by stays were producing too many Diamonds.
That speculation about status-matching messes is worthy on account of them separating certain benefits from status. As for thinning the herd, they could have done that many ways but decided that this was the path forward, which speculatively I think means that their metric-ing found the least value in the frequent short stay customer amongst their diamond ranks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:09 pm

Only problem is that this year again, they clearly felt they didn't have enough diamonds, so they gave it away again to everyone with the 20 night promo. I would like them to stop giving it away every single year and actually fully rewarding people who are doing the 50, 60 night requirements.
sdadept likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66
Only problem is that this year again, they clearly felt they didn't have enough diamonds, so they gave it away again to everyone with the 20 night promo. I would like them to stop giving it away every single year and actually fully rewarding people who are doing the 50, 60 night requirements.
That, I can fully support. Just wish they would make up their d*** minds.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
at 75 nights now. Will end the year around 100. :/
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by antonius66
which is another reason I will not qualify this year or next...probably wait for some bogus promo to get me to "globalist" and do it that way. The nail in the coffin for me was getting rid of the welcome amenity.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Currently sitting at 50 nights. Have enough booked thru the end of the year to hit 60. Big downturn in work travel for me since April. Last year I had over 80 nights. I have burned points on 12 nights for myself this year (7 at GH Kauai, 3 at GH Seattle, 2 at HR Waikiki) as well as pts for others. If WoH counted award stays I'd be golden. I may actually hit exactly 60 nights with a checkout on 12/31. We'll see. Have a P&C stay booked until 12/31 to ensure I hit 60 nights and will trim it as allowable while hitting 60.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: WN CP, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Crossed 60 in August, sitting at 100 right now and waiting for the annual post-Thanksgiving "promo" to rack up my spring break points.

There really needs to be another tier.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12
Crossed 60 in August, sitting at 100 right now and waiting for the annual post-Thanksgiving "promo" to rack up my spring break points.

Pretty sure you're in the minority with that thought, but what would such a tier have?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:46 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I hope your wait isn't too long ...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Sitting in GH-Sao Paulo waiting to checkout from my 60th (and most likely final) night of 2017
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat

I agree that there is a need for 1 or more super tier(s) above Globalist/Diamond!

SPG successfully implemented several super tiers for Platinum - people can be top tier Platinum but the more stays that you have, the more you will be rewarded!

Seeing that the new WoH chief Amy Weinberg came from Starwood, I suspect that we will be seeing something similar with Hyatt in 2018.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by stargold

I status-matched, then proceeded to renew Diamond/Globalist for 2017 through 50+ nights at a mix of HP/HR/GHs. Not through stays. So I did contribute a fair bit to the coffers . Not all insta-Diamonds just took a free ride.

I don’t travel for business and pay my own way. Though I really like the properties, this year I simply cannot direct my vacation spending to Hyatt with the lack of any kind of Q3/4 promos. Especially when the other chains are running pretty good ones.

I really hope the new management do a good Q1 promo. I’d come back in a flash.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
I agree that there is a need for 1 or more super tier(s) above Globalist/Diamond!

SPG successfully implemented several super tiers for Platinum - people can be top tier Platinum but the more stays that you have, the more you will be rewarded!

Seeing that the new WoH chief Amy Weinberg came from Starwood, I suspect that we will be seeing something similar with Hyatt in 2018.

Arent they already giving extras at 70, 80, 90 & 100? It seems like 60 already gives you the equivalent of SPG ambassador. What other benefits would you add to these “Super-tiers”?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.