Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I stuck with Hyatt when they changed their program to World of Hyatt and introduced the Globalist top tier at 60 nights. Back then, the 'old' Hyatt loyalists were all pissed because they had been reaching top tier Diamond status by 25 "stays" per year, not nights. These loyal Diamond members were very upset by the program changes because they saw no way to get to 60 nights from their usual 25 stays. I stuck with Hyatt and even doubled down on Hyatt because the quality of their hotels and the way I was treated was noticeably better than Hilton or Marriott. Hyatt got my business and I'm a loyal fan.

I too was initially concerned that this aggressive promotion to obtain Glob-lite status at only 30 nights would dilute the top tier treatment but these are extraordinary times so I'm willing to give Hyatt the benefit of the doubt and see what lies ahead in the next several years as I maintain Globalist.
rbAA, River in Sight and rkoechel like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WISEMEN
It's worth noting that I joined the Hyatt program through similar "cheating" - Hyatt matched me to Diamond as a Starwood Ambassador member around seven years ago. While the first year was a nice fast track, I've since spent close to $150k with the chain, so I think I've evolved to be classified as an okay customer
Great point. This is one of the two main goals of the lowered targets (along with driving marginal revenue right now), i.e., to attract consistently high spending customers for the long term. It's something that those who, for example, make status mostly on directed credit card spend can't understand because it is foreign to their mindset, which is always focused on minimizing on-property spend while maximizing their own personal benefit.
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I stuck with Hyatt when they changed their program to World of Hyatt and introduced the Globalist top tier at 60 nights. Back then, the 'old' Hyatt loyalists were all pissed because they had been reaching top tier Diamond status by 25 "stays" per year, not nights. These loyal Diamond members were very upset by the program changes because they saw no way to get to 60 nights from their usual 25 stays.
Guilty :-)

Back then, SPG was an attractive alternative. It no longer is. Hyatt has also dramatically increased its footprint and made marginal improvements to its program, in terms of both qualification and benefits.
UA-NYC and 59Impala like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mileageking

Been thinking about this. Any good airline programs with good value and bonus miles for transfers? I have top tier status with AC & QR but wouldn't transfer any to either (on AC I have similar balance so not looking to add more and for QR redeeming doesn't look attractive).
Transfer rates to airline miles are terrible, although some people view the value in international premium class for the transfers. Transfers were only great under the old travel packages.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Transfer rates to airline miles are terrible, although some people view the value in international premium class for the transfers. Transfers were only great under the old travel packages.
In my mind, Marriott airline transfers are less horrendous than other programs in terms of conversion rate, and for those which I can't transfer directly from AX, it's a good way to get miles at a reasonable cost.

For Hyatt, absolutely agree that the best use is on stays.

Less OT:
I just did a tally in my head, and as soon as the bonus nights from 2020 / YTD 2021 post, I should have 75 nights. Might actually end up topping out the Milestone Rewards this year.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
My 15 nights are booked for a Hyatt Place in DXB in February. In the course of the last few days the all-in price has gone from 3600AED to 3300 AED to 2600AED (rebooked each time!).

700USD for 2 years as Globalist seems like a good deal, especially as I was planning to go out to Dubai for that period anyway (so it's not a mere mattress run).
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:22 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Being a frequent guest is nice but getting benefits without status is very property dependent.

As far as breakfast I agree it’s not the stated price I had outlined what I believe to be the actual cost. For us for a $90 meal for 2 Adults and 1 Child including the 15% Globalist Included Gratuity the hotel’s cost to cover that meal AND gratuity is about $30-$35 of that $14 is gratuity so only $16-$21 in food cost. Staying just 20 nights that already adds up to $700.

As far as Resort Fees while they are a pain for customers they are what accounts for a large portion of revenue for hotels, the same with parking.

Based on a good amount of US stays across the country I’ve noticed a lot of people will book more expensive rates that include parking. So rather than $50 for parking they get it for $30 a day.
OK, so I am intending to beat a dead horse here, but exactly how many nights did an existing GLOB have to do in 2020 to get an additional year of GLOB? If you guessed -0- you would be right. Zero nights, zero spend. So, I at least did more than nothing to get my 2021 status, plus the 2022 status year kicker. And, I'm already planning more. Marketting 101 strikes again.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rbAA
OK, so I am intending to beat a dead horse here, but exactly how many nights did an existing GLOB have to do in 2020 to get an additional year of GLOB? If you guessed -0- you would be right. Zero nights, zero spend. So, I at least did more than nothing to get my 2021 status, plus the 2022 status year kicker. And, I'm already planning more. Marketting 101 strikes again.
Did I say anything about you? The only thing I mentioned applying to you would be that while being a frequent guest is good, you likely won’t get the same treatment or perks as Globalists.

As far as marketing for most of the world either reducing requirements to 30 Nights OR The Double Nights Promo would’ve been sufficient and given Hyatt plenty to work with along with getting them plenty of new clients.
yorkboy24 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:26 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by stargold
In my mind, Marriott airline transfers are less horrendous than other programs in terms of conversion rate, and for those which I can't transfer directly from AX, it's a good way to get miles at a reasonable cost.

For Hyatt, absolutely agree that the best use is on stays.

Less OT:
I just did a tally in my head, and as soon as the bonus nights from 2020 / YTD 2021 post, I should have 75 nights. Might actually end up topping out the Milestone Rewards this year.
If you can do the transfer when there is a bonus promo, maybe. But, often, MR points are excluded from those bonuses. Years ago, there used to be a thriving business for selling Starwood points at like 2.5 cents each. No longer there, nor is there any SPG..

Do the bonus nights count towards Hyatt Milestones?
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Did I say anything about you? The only thing I mentioned applying to you would be that while being a frequent guest is good, you likely won’t get the same treatment or perks as Globalists.

As far as marketing for most of the world either reducing requirements to 30 Nights OR The Double Nights Promo would’ve been sufficient and given Hyatt plenty to work with along with getting them plenty of new clients.
I know, my last comment was just a follow-up on your position that Hyatt was being extremely, overly generous. If you're not active in any other of the programs, you may not realize how generous THEY are now and that pretty much makes Hyatt have to meet or beat their deals. IHG Spire is not exactly Hyatt Globalist, though I've gotten a myriad of benefits from that status in terms of UPG's even suites, mainly, F&B discounts, etc. Ambassador does get a $20 F&B credit when staying at an IC. There is no free breakfast, but remember, breakfasts are usually not worth what you might have to pay for them, especially a hotel breakfast. So, with the IHG status extension, I would get another year of Spire even if I spent -0- dollars, which I didn't, as I had a number of IHG nights last January before the COVID deal hit:
A night at the HI LAX (AA reimbursed me for this but I could have done one of the Hyatts at LAX) as my flight from PEN to DFW was delayed (I had to close a FL real estate transaction about some land I subdivided and was selling off the lots, and the buyer used a Pensacola law firm and it had to be signed and notarized, but I couldn't get a notary appointment at the Bangkok US Consulate any time prior to the COE, so I did the redeye from BKK-NRT transfered to HND for a HND-DFW-PEN and after signing everything, turned around to head back to BKK, crazy, I know,) and I didn't make my connection at DFW to SFO and had to go into LAX instead;
A night at the IC Yokohama (I could done the HR Yokohama or any of the Tokyo properties) as I had a 24 hour layover between my SFO-HND and HND-BKK flights;
Then on a second trip in January, a night at SIN Katong HIX which was actually quite nice and great location for my morning flight SIN-NRT-SEA-SAN, keep in mind that we don't have any way to go from BKK to the US without a connection in either SIN, PVG, PEK, CAN, HKG, Japan, the ME or Europe, and I prefer SIN as I can do the midday CX flight BKK-SIN the day before and get a one-night stand there out of the deal, though next time the Andaz which is pretty cool and I like better than the GH SIN;
3 nights at the San Clemente HIX which is my usual place to stay when I visit my Mom (the closest Hyatt is the Aviara-maybe too over the top- try out the HP Carlsbad instead
2 nights at the IC SF (sorry, it's better than the Hyatt options) using an expiring BOGO to visit younger son in the city;
2 nights at the CP Concord (though the HH Pleasant Hill is better) to visit older son in Concord,
And another HIX night in Castro Valley (HP Pleasanton would have worked too,) to be closer to SFO for an early flight back to BKK via SEA and NRT.
So, though I did have IHG spend in 2020, I didn't need to as always get my SPIRE status extended simply by spending $200 in December to renew my AMBASSADOR status on IC. But IHG would have just extended my status without any spend required, not even the $200 to renew AMB.
No MR nights in 2020, personally, and I didn't need any. My younger son works in the PAC-12 so every Feb they meet at the Marriott in Newport Beach, so he puts me on the record and uses my PLT number. MR extended everyone for 2021 plus deposited 25 elite status nights into my account which also counted towards LT status.
I did have some spend also for 3 nights at the Anartara Phuket for a timeshare thing, but we wanted to also stay a few nights at the HP Phuket but they reflagged, and 2 nights at the Avani Pattaya (again, no Hyatts there, only IHG and MR's) from which I got GHA-Discovery PLT instead of having to do the usual 10 nights. Oh, and about 10 nights in Surin and Ubon in the Thai countryside (no chain has anything out that way) visiting my Thai GF's family, using hotels.com. The nice hotels there are like US$30/nt. Hotels.com extended my Silver status based upon that and that and US$4 gets you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but I do get a 10% rebate towards a free night. Actually, the Surin hotel we stay at, the Slive, has a great breakfast, a variety of Thai dishes, plus made to order Thai or western omelet and some excellent Thai desserts. And eggs, cereals, etc if you want that kind of stuff.
So, it can be done right
Even when you're only paying like US$30 per night.
Hey, that rhymes! Should have made it into a haiku.

I know, way too much information, but the point is once the COVID thing is behind us, there is plenty of opportunity for Hyatt to get a bigger piece of the action, from not only me, but many others. In addition to that US$1172 I paid for the 15 night GH Bangkok staycation. That was probably as much as I paid in 2020 as detailed above. Anecdotal? Maybe, but it's just one story of many in the marketing schemes these guys put together.

Last edited by rbAA; Jan 6, 2021 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
https://www.hotelmanagement.net/oper...mprovements-q3

Marginal revenue, marginal revenue, marginal revenue
Old Jan 6, 2021, 7:30 am

I'm at a loss as to why some people seem to think they are more qualified than Hyatt themselves to opine on how generous WOH should be. Not to mention it's been a completely OT line of discussion.

Unless you have access to the supporting data and the internal strategy, on what basis is anyone other than Hyatt themselves able to claim to know better?
skj, Kacee, cuthroat and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stargold
I'm at a loss as to why some people seem to think they are more qualified than Hyatt themselves to opine on how generous WOH should be. Not to mention it's been a completely OT line of discussion.

Unless you have access to the supporting data and the internal strategy, on what basis is anyone other than Hyatt themselves able to claim to know better?
Is this your first day on the internet? If we accepted everything the travel companies did at face value and didn't think our opinions counted for something everyone's post count would be 6
fearless2357 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
How'd I Earn Discoverist?

I just got a notification that I'd qualified for Discoverist (never had Hyatt status before). I'm pleased but a bit confused - I see they reduced the requirements to 5 nights for 2020, but all of mine were free nights - I had zero eligible spend last year!
Old Jan 8, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by strickerj
I just got a notification that I'd qualified for Discoverist (never had Hyatt status before). I'm pleased but a bit confused - I see they reduced the requirements to 5 nights for 2020, but all of mine were free nights - I had zero eligible spend last year!
Free nights count towards status...
cuthroat and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Can someone help me figure this out?

As of today, I have 21 nights as follows:

5 from the credit card
1 , I think, from spend on the card, though I think I'm still under the 5k needed for a night
10 from an actual stay.
I did a 30 night stay ending in early December.

So that accounts for 16 nights IF I hit the spend threshold, yet I somehow have another 5.

I checked my account a few days ago and I had 15 nights, 10 from the stay and 5 from the card. There's no further info in my account except that I got a bonus yesterday. My card statement closes on the 24th, so if I hit the 5k milestone I would have expected to see the 1 night credit in Dec, not early Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.