Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Hyatt Beach Resort with Kids in U.S./Carribean

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: hyatt diamond

We have reservations for St. Kitts at the end of July. It is becoming increasingly more clear that they are not going to open in time. So, I am trying to figure out where we should go instead. I have read so many threads on here but now I am just confused.
Here is my situation.
I have two kids, age 8 and 10. We are looking for a beach resort that has a lot to do. We went to the hyatt in aruba last year and loved it! I would go back but my husband wants to go somewhere new. However, if that is the best option then he will be open to going back.
We live in Texas, so flights to Hawaii are quite expensive, but again if it is by far the best option than we are open to it.
I am also a globalist. Not sure if that helps. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Kauai

I know it is a bit far from Texas, but have you been to the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. It's such a great property. My kids are the same age and they have the best time there. There are several pools, water slide, lazy river, salt water lagoon. You can hike right on the property, rent bikes, rent kayaks, snorkel, etc. Plus there is so much to do right around town. I highly recommend it, but understand it isn't easy to get to from Texas or the east coast (we live in LA). Another option may be the Andaz in Mayakoba (Outside Cancun) but I am not sure how kid friendly it is.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
I know it is a bit far from Texas, but have you been to the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. It's such a great property. My kids are the same age and they have the best time there. There are several pools, water slide, lazy river, salt water lagoon. You can hike right on the property, rent bikes, rent kayaks, snorkel, etc. Plus there is so much to do right around town.
Thanks for this! We just booked a flight to Kauai and I was looking for confirmation that the Grand Hyatt is as good as it looks. My kids are 12 and 14, so this sounds like it's right up their alley!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
+1 for the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. Great place for families. We go every year. Direct Flights into Lihue are United from LA and San Francisco and WestJet from Vancouver Canada.

Last edited by codesinvan; Apr 10, 2017 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Great. Feel free to message me for any local restaurant recommendations, activities etc have fun
Originally Posted by nittanylion1
Thanks for this! We just booked a flight to Kauai and I was looking for confirmation that the Grand Hyatt is as good as it looks. My kids are 12 and 14, so this sounds like it's right up their alley!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:50 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nittanylion1
My wife and I have been to GH Kauai many times over the past 25 years and love it. When we traveled with our teenagers, though, we went elsewhere (Maui was a favorite). The pool, "lagoon", and waterslide are great for younger kids, but not so much as they get older. If you want to swim in the ocean, boogie board or snorkel, you have to go off-property. On our one trip where we did bring the kids, we did lots of driving around the island to get to beaches or hikes. The GH Kauai was a great base, but we ended up not spending a lot of time there.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:31 am

We like to go to Hawaii in the winter time. It makes sense to us this way. But the pools usually end up too cool to use, including the time when we were at GH Kauai. Lovely resort, just wish we could've taken advantage of the pool a little bit more.

when our kids were younger, we loved to take them out to Naples and Marco island. Lots of shells and they spend whole day picking them out. Literally that's all they wanted to do. There are good Marriott and Hilton options there. As of hyatt, the nearest is probably Clearwater. I heard the beach was good but not sure about the shells. One downside with that part of Florida was food optios are a little lacking and towns tend to be a bit sleepy at nights.

we did enjoy hyatt hill country a lot. Next to sea world and tons to do on the property for the kids. Maybe it's too close to home for folks from Texas and there is no beach. They do have a surf/wave thing that's really cool though...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:00 am

Sorry for threadjacking from the OP.

Originally Posted by skj
My wife and I have been to GH Kauai many times over the past 25 years and love it. When we traveled with our teenagers, though, we went elsewhere (Maui was a favorite). The pool, "lagoon", and waterslide are great for younger kids, but not so much as they get older. If you want to swim in the ocean, boogie board or snorkel, you have to go off-property. On our one trip where we did bring the kids, we did lots of driving around the island to get to beaches or hikes. The GH Kauai was a great base, but we ended up not spending a lot of time there.
My kids are 12 and 14 and the waterslide is a huge draw for them!

Originally Posted by lancexfang
As of hyatt, the nearest is probably Clearwater. I heard the beach was good but not sure about the shells. One downside with that part of Florida was food optios are a little lacking and towns tend to be a bit sleepy at nights.
We live just south of Clearwater, in Sarasota. We like sleepy towns! And our beach (Siesta) is amazing. Come visit! (Just don't drive slow in the fast lane at rush hour...)

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
Great. Feel free to message me for any local restaurant recommendations, activities etc have fun
Coming at you. Thanks everyone! Especially the OP.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Kauai Restaurant Thread from the Hawaii Forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...-i-thread.html
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I've been to the GH Kauai a number of times, and I guess I am the voice of "meh" about it in terms of a destination, especially with teenagers.

My kids are 4 years old, and they like the waterslide (there is only one), but I cannot imagine that it will hold their interest past the age of 10. It is a pretty tame slide.

The pool is nice, but it's a pool, and the lazy river is really lazy and not very long.

The very limited ability to get into the ocean anywhere near the property (unless you are a strong swimmer or surfer) limits the attractiveness of the hotel for teenagers, at least in my opinion.

Kauai is great, and the hotel and service are also great, but without decent beach access, I'm less thrilled with it as a destination for teens.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Talking about pools, sorry about digressing from the OP even further, most of my favorite pools have been indoor ones, like PH Vienna, PH Tokyo and Ritz Carlton Kyoto. I haven't been to many outdoor pools that wowed me. Maybe I need to venture out a little bit more...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I've been to the GH Kauai a number of times, and I guess I am the voice of "meh" about it in terms of a destination, especially with teenagers.

My kids are 4 years old, and they like the waterslide (there is only one), but I cannot imagine that it will hold their interest past the age of 10. It is a pretty tame slide.

The pool is nice, but it's a pool, and the lazy river is really lazy and not very long.

The very limited ability to get into the ocean anywhere near the property (unless you are a strong swimmer or surfer) limits the attractiveness of the hotel for teenagers, at least in my opinion.

Kauai is great, and the hotel and service are also great, but without decent beach access, I'm less thrilled with it as a destination for teens.
Thanks this is helpful. I was about sold on the property until I saw this post. I am going for the beach, I love beaches. I also like pools, but I also have one.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

...To the person that said we should go to the Hill Country Hyatt in San Antonio, I have been to this resort often and we love it, but it is somewhere I constantly check the prices and we go to for the weekend when it is on the cheaper side. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.