FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   How to handle getting the wrong bed type (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1833342-how-handle-getting-wrong-bed-type.html)

round_the_world Apr 1, 2017 3:01 am

How to handle getting the wrong bed type

Suppose you're staying at a fairly expensive Hyatt property, and because the hotel was fully booked for the night, rather than a standard king bed room that you reserved, you were given a parlor room with a rollaway cot. What is the appropriate way to handle the situation, and is this within the property's rights under the terms of the reservation? Suppose you also ask whether you can at that point switch to a different hotel because you didn't receive the bed type you'd reserved (these rollaways are not particularly big or comfortable!) but because it's late and neither Hyatt's main customer service center or the hotel manager is available, the attendant at the front desk can't guarantee that you wouldn't be charged for the hotel night anyway. How would you approach this? What are the rights of the hotel customer in this situation?

Really appreciate the input!

LondonElite Apr 1, 2017 3:17 am

Is this a purely hypothetical question? Insist at check in that you are compensated or pay a significantly reduced rate.

round_the_world Apr 1, 2017 3:33 am

No it's not -- it's an evolving situation. What type of compensation is reasonable? I assume that someone else on here has been in a similar situation, so want to get a sense of precedents. The front desk attendant seems to be junior and lacks the ability to authorize anything.

LondonElite Apr 1, 2017 4:15 am

I think only you can decide what is fair. How much did you pay? If the clerk is too junior, ask him to get a manager. At a Hyatt there is always a manager on call.

HoustonConsultant Apr 1, 2017 10:09 am

Is the cot the only bed in the room? Literally a twin-sized roll-away bed?

If so, I'm sleeping for free that night and probably getting some points put in my account the next day.

I'm not even sure I understand what a parlor room is. Just a room with no bed?

mahasamatman Apr 1, 2017 10:28 am

Originally Posted by round_the_world (Post 28114635)
neither Hyatt's main customer service center or the hotel manager is available

Tell the agent he's lying and get the manager. Both are available 24 hours a day.

round_the_world Apr 1, 2017 10:42 am

Rate was >$300 so not a cheap room or anything. And a parlor room is the living room part of a suite. They'd sold the attached bedrooms to the suites to other guests as they were at full capacity for the night and put a cot in the living room portion and spun it as being an upgrade to a signature suite. No doubt it was a really nice living room, but that doesn't really help when you and your SO clearly don't fit on a rollaway. Anyway, wanted a real bed for the night so switched to another hotel at 3 am after not being able to confirm that I'd get my money back. Still feel I should get compensation for the hassle of switching hotels and the cost incurred to do so, just don't know what I can conceivably ask for.

Kacee Apr 1, 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by round_the_world (Post 28115798)
Rate was >$300 so not a cheap room or anything. And a parlor room is the living room part of a suite. They'd sold the attached bedrooms to the suites to other guests as they were at full capacity for the night and put a cot in the living room portion and spun it as being an upgrade to a signature suite. No doubt it was a really nice living room, but that doesn't really help when you and your SO clearly don't fit on a rollaway. Anyway, wanted a real bed for the night so switched to another hotel at 3 am after not being able to confirm that I'd get my money back. Still feel I should get compensation for the hassle of switching hotels and the cost incurred to do so, just don't know what I can conceivably ask for.

IMO this is equivalent to being walked. They should pay for your room at the other hotel and give you some points as comp as well.

Please name the property so we know to avoid it.

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant (Post 28115697)
Is the cot the only bed in the room? Literally a twin-sized roll-away bed? If so, I'm sleeping for free that night and probably getting some points put in my account the next day.

+1

MSPeconomist Apr 1, 2017 10:51 am

If you booked the room for two, they should not attempt to give you a room with a single rollaway bed.

What did your reservation confirmation say? Was this booked through hyatt.com or some third party website that might not have permitted you to pick the room/bedding type.

I'm assuming you don't have status with Hyatt.

notquiteaff Apr 1, 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by round_the_world (Post 28115798)

And the bathroom is shared with the people who occupy the bedroom part of the suite?

I heard that exact story before: are you by chance friends with my parents, and did this happen to you in Prague in 1980? Oh, wait, no Hyatt in Prague, but apparently they use the business practices from communist Czechoslovakia :)

Definitely insist on them

- not charging you for the "room"
- reimbursing you for the room at the other hotel
- reimbursing you for transportation to the other hotel
- giving you adequate compensation (say, 10k points)
- offering an explanation and apology for the treatment

Kacee Apr 1, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 28115849)
- giving you adequate compensation (say, 10k points)

I would probably ask for points equivalent to one night stay at the property that effectively walked me. That seems to be the going rate for a major, stay ruining, cs fail.

notquiteaff Apr 1, 2017 11:11 am

Regarding bed guarantee... I don't recall if they took it away as part of the switch from GP to WoH, but Hyatt had a selected bed guarantee. Long time members will recall that it was backed by a 5000 point penalty that was removed few years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...rt-update.html

Originally Posted by J. Zidell, VP Hyatt Gold Passport (Post 23975080)

One thing that will be changing effective January 1, 2015 is the existing bed type guarantee policy. Today, this is applicable to elite members only, and members are awarded 5,000 bonus points if the reserved bed type is not available upon check-in. Less than 0.1% of elite members did not receive their confirmed bed type – so in the future we’re guaranteeing that upon check-in all guests will receive the bed type confirmed, and there will no longer be any bonus points associated with non-compliance. Rest assured, the hotels are committed to getting this right!

As always, I appreciate your feedback, and I encourage you to continue to let us know how we can support you better in the coming year. You can always reach out to me via this forum or directly at [email protected].

The story in this thread, of course, is a lot worse than a mere switch from King to Queen beds.

mahasamatman Apr 1, 2017 11:19 am

A guarantee without something to back it up is completely meaningless.

notquiteaff Apr 1, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28115923)
A guarantee without something to back it up is completely meaningless.

Welcome to the New Hyatt. The transformation started in 2015 :)

Doc Savage Apr 1, 2017 11:34 am

A rollaway bed doesn't really count as a bed at all.

Why in the world didn't they just walk you to another hotel when you got there? Worse than terrible.

You should get the night at the other hotel comped plus a large number of points.

And PLEASE name the hotel so we can avoid it.