Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Miami: Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Centric or Confidante by Hyatt

Miami: Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Centric or Confidante by Hyatt

Old Mar 27, 17, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Question Miami: Hyatt Regency or Hyatt Centric or Confidante by Hyatt

I have a dilemma for a stay this Christmas / New year in Miami.
Hyatt Centric, my preferred choice is $1000AUD a night and no award anything available. Confidante is $520AUD for a basic room and also no award availability.

Hyatt Regency is $390AUD and upgrade using points to Club Room or even use points plus pay $99AUD a night!

My heart wants Centric my brain says Regency. Should I book Confidante as a compromise or is that too far north to be worth the extra money?

I have made an award booking at Regency for now. Regency doesn't look that far from south beach and being from Sydney I am spoiled for beaches here already. It will also be December/January so probably on cool side too. Am I missing out by not staying at South Beach? Help
Old Mar 27, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
South Beach isn't to everybody's liking, but I think that you already suspect that a hotel with wide-open Points + Cash availability over the holidays isn't exactly desired by tourists. The HR is definitely not Miami Beach!

But it all comes down to convenience (for what you plan on doing) versus money. Christmas is a long time away. I would book something refundable, then check for award availability every once in awhile. Also check whether some of your dates are available on points, book those now, then keep looking for award nights and/or fill in gaps with paid nights.
Old Mar 27, 17, 8:31 pm

I stayed at Centric recently. The location was good but rooms were just okay, with poor views, even as Diamond. Service and food were good. Hyatt Regency is downtown not in a great area, and it's often a pain and trafficky to get to SB.
Old Mar 27, 17, 8:45 pm

$901 a day can get you an awful lot of Uber rides. Traffic lightens up a lot during the holidays, but it can be a little bit of a trek to SB as someone mentioned. It's not our scene, so we tend to avoid going out there more than every now and then.

One consideration for NYE would be that the Miami New Years celebration is held at Bayfront Park, which is a 5 min walk from the HR. Also, areas like Wynwood, Brickell, the Adrienne Arscht Center, the AA arena, Coral Gables, and Little Havana are easily accessible from the HR using the free trolley and metromover systems.
Old Mar 28, 17, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald. GF Black; Accor Silver; Hyatt Explorist.
Centric only has king rooms when each night looked at separately; I need two beds. Confidante has zero anyway I look at it. Is Confidante too far away from South Beach 'action'?

Thanks for your help thus far.
Old Mar 31, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
I have stayed at both the Hyatt Centric and the Confidante. The location of of the Centric on Collins near Ocean Dr & Lincoln Rd is fantastic. The service is great, & diamond breakfast is too. The rooms are nice but more basic, and the property is appealing but very compact. You do get beach chair privileges at Loew's nearby though. It's not really a resort, so this might disappoint some. I like it though. As for the Confidante, it is a totally different vibe. It has a true resort feel and a small/ decent sized pool area as well as its own beach chair service. The Confidante is more mid-beach on Collins near the 40's. It is NOT right in the midst of the action of South Beach. But that could be a pro or a con. You can take a LONG daytime walk on the beach walk to South Beach from there OR Uber OR the free trolley OR a free bike OR the bus But you can't walk out your hotel door and be in the middle of the action. I haven't stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Miami, but I'd like to try it too. You could consider splitting your stay up a bit. Sometimes the downtown hotels are cheaper on the weekends. And beach hotels can be cheaper weekdays. That way you wouldn't waste your time and energy traveling between the city and the beach every day. Hope this helps you decide..
Old Mar 31, 17, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I stayed at the HR last summer and found it to be more interesting an area than I expected. You can take the people mover to museums and around the area. Brickell Island is nice to walk to. There is really good Brazilian and other types of food in walking distance. The HR was pretty dated last summer (but okay) but they were working on renovations so it might look good now.