Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why Conrad is better than most of Hyatts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Maybe except for Park Hyatt.

Grand Hyatt is premium position while Conrad/JWM and IC positioned as entry- Luxury. But many might confused and though GH is in the same market and tier as its competitors.

In our nation, Grand Hyatt is like a Westin and Sheraton with shower only, business and convention style, no exquisite detail and touch.

Internationally, Grand Hyatt is far better than domestic, but still one or half step behind Conrad. I know, you though they are in the same level. Wrong.

There are some not so good Conrad, JWM, IC, just like Grand Hyatt. But the difference is that Conrad has Maldives,Hong Kong; JW has its Marquis Miami, Houston downtown, Venice. There are also few prestigious IC in the world.

Both of Conrad and JW has some more exquisite top end properties opening in the recent 5 years, trying to compete in the real luxury segment. Those hotels have less than 250 rooms and can directly competing with traditional top Luxury brand in those locations . While Grand Hyatt still remain a mess-convention wannabe 500 rooms segment.

Even for its Hong Kong location , which is one of the best GH in the world, is still no where near IC and Conrad, JWM in Pacific center. It surrounded by convention center, creepy governor house, nothing near the hotel except for some american chain snake. Nobody stays there. The nearby environment is so unpleasant.

Conrad>JWM>IC>= All the Hyatt except for Park

Last edited by Vince Chan; Mar 18, 2017 at 9:47 am
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RealTrumpisHere
Maybe except for Park Hyatt.

Grand Hyatt is premium position while Conrad/JWM and IC positioned as entry- Luxury. But many might confused and though GH is in the same market and tier as its competitors.

In our nation, Grand Hyatt is like a Westin and Sheraton with shower only, business and convention style, no exquisite detail and touch.

Internationally, Grand Hyatt is far better than domestic, but still one or half step behind Conrad. I know, you though they are in the same level. Wrong.

There are some not so good Conrad, JWM, IC, just like Grand Hyatt. But the difference is that Conrad has Maldives,Hong Kong; JW has its Marquis Miami, Houston downtown, Venice. There are also few prestigious IC in the world.

Both of Conrad and JW has some more exquisite top end properties opening in the recent 5 years, trying to compete in the real luxury segment. Those hotels have less than 250 rooms and can directly competing with traditional top Luxury brand in those locations . While Grand Hyatt still remain a mess-convention wannabe 500 rooms segment.

Even for its Hong Kong location , which is one of the best GH in the world, is still no where near IC and Conrad, JWM in Pacific center. It surrounded by convention center, creepy governor house, nothing near the hotel except for some american chain snake. Nobody stays there. The nearby environment is so unpleasant.

Conrad>JWM>IC>= All the Hyatt except for Park
When you make generalizations such as this, then you better be prepared to defend your position and you are subject to specific examples to prove you wrong.

Conrad Bejing is rather poor compared to Grand Hyatt Beijing. The Club at GH Beijing is an order of magnitude better, not just a little, than the pathetic Lounge at Conrad Beijing. Location of GH Beijing is also better than location of Conrad Beijing.

Would you care to explain your definitive comparison?
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CIT85
When you make generalizations such as this, then you better be prepared to defend your position and you are subject to specific examples to prove you wrong.

Conrad Bejing is rather poor compared to Grand Hyatt Beijing. The Club at GH Beijing is an order of magnitude better, not just a little, than the pathetic Lounge at Conrad Beijing. Location of GH Beijing is also better than location of Conrad Beijing.

I disagree with you about Beijing because I think the Conrad's location is hard to beat. That having been said, I agree that the OP is loaded difficult to defend generalizations.

As for HK, I prefer to the GH to anything in Admiralty (Conrad/JW/Shang), let alone Kowloon (IC/Penn).

ETA: Shanghai is an interesting case because Hyatt inherited what was supposed to be a Conrad (notice the similarities with the Conrad Beijing), and ended up branding it as Andaz.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 18, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was shocked rubber ducks weren't mentioned. A clear distinguisher.

HK is one example of the Conrad having a better location than the GH, but Tokyo is the opposite with the Grand Hyatt being in a much better location than the Conrad (Roppongi Hills vs Shidome). Both locations price accordingly with the HK GH usually at a discount while the Tokyo GH at a premium.

Grand Hyatts may be positioned lower in your view but are also more accessible in key business cities. Seoul and Taipei come to mind in Asia, and New York City only very recently had a Conrad added in.

Overall Hyatt and SPG brands match well, but not as neatly with Hilton. grand hyatts and Westins is probably a good comparison. While Andaz is probably a hybrid between a LeMeridien and a W. Vs Hilton i find most Conrad's to be positioned in between a Grand and a Park Hyatt.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:46 am

Interesting thread

There is too much variation between properties to make any kind of meaningful comparison here. Also "better" is a subjective term when it comes to hotels, as different people value different things.

In my opinion, in the international markets (i.e. outside of Nothing America), I would generally rank this way:

FS/MO/Pen(and top Ritz-Carlton) > Park Hyatt > Andaz/Grand Hyatt > Conrad/Intercontinental

But, there are many exceptions. In Hong Kong, for example, Intercontinental and Conrad would rank somewhat higher than Grand Hyatt.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by moondog
ETA: Shanghai is an interesting case because Hyatt inherited what was supposed to be a Conrad (notice the similarities with the Conrad Beijing), and ended up branding it as Andaz.
I thought the Andaz was originally meant to become a Jumeirah -- or was that the sister building that ended up becoming a Langham?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by staff
I thought the Andaz was originally meant to become a Jumeirah -- or was that the sister building that ended up becoming a Langham?
I thought that the building that was supposed to be a Conrad became the Andaz, and the other one became the Langham, but I will admit that this point is pretty hard to prove/disprove in light of the fact that construction was still under way in 2006, and current resources on the topic are nonexistent.

Here are a couple of morsels from google:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...y-Hotel-Hilton

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news06/232-Shanghai.shtml
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by CIT85

Agree, this is really general...and completely subjective. And somehow I doubt the OP will even return to answer your question above...

And frankly, I don't even understand the point of the thread?? But people post a lot of things here that I don't get
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by rwm818
Agree, this is really general...and completely subjective. And somehow I doubt the OP will even return to answer your question above...

And frankly, I don't even understand the point of the thread?? But people post a lot of things here that I don't get
People post this stuff in all the subcategories. Likely to get a rise out of folks. Pretty typical for the internets.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I am a mega Conrad fan, but even I know that it fits a different niche than a Hyatt or an Andaz so making one on one comparisons is not accurate.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
But but but but but but..........do you get free bottle of water at Conrad?
Old May 13, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ericcheung
...but Tokyo is the opposite with the Grand Hyatt being in a much better location than the Conrad (Roppongi Hills vs Shidome). Both locations price accordingly with the HK GH usually at a discount while the Tokyo GH at a premium.
My breakdown on various aspects after several stays at both:

Code:
Component            Winner
-----------------    -----------------
Base Room            Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Location             Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Elite Recognition    Conrad Tokyo
Elite Upgrades       Conrad Tokyo
Elite Breakfast      Conrad Tokyo
View                 Conrad Tokyo
Club Lounge          Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Service              Conrad Tokyo
Pool                 Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Gym Facilities       Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Rubber Ducks         Conrad Tokyo
Neither is a bad option but, as of now, I am more inclined to stay at Conrad Tokyo as a Honors Diamond, where I have always been upgraded to a suite, than Grand Hyatt Tokyo, where I got nothing as an Explorist.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hailstorm
My breakdown on various aspects after several stays at both:

Code:
Component            Winner
-----------------    -----------------
Base Room            Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Location             Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Elite Recognition    Conrad Tokyo
Elite Upgrades       Conrad Tokyo
Elite Breakfast      Conrad Tokyo
View                 Conrad Tokyo
Club Lounge          Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Service              Conrad Tokyo
Pool                 Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Gym Facilities       Grand Hyatt Tokyo
Rubber Ducks         Conrad Tokyo
Neither is a bad option but, as of now, I am more inclined to stay at Conrad Tokyo as a Honors Diamond, where I have always been upgraded to a suite, than Grand Hyatt Tokyo, where I got nothing as an Explorist.
You seem to be comparing top tier status recogition/benefits to second tier status recognition/benefits.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You seem to be comparing top tier status recogition/benefits to second tier status recognition/benefits.
No. The final comment was unrelated to the comparison.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
But, there are many exceptions. In Hong Kong, for example, Intercontinental and Conrad would rank somewhat higher than Grand Hyatt.
Perhaps location wise. But for me the Grand Hyatt wins out in terms of club lounge, pool and a pretty impressive harbour view that encompasses both the island and Kowloon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.