Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Once a rate is locked in............a "Discoverist" discovers something new

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat

Hi:

Booked 3 nights at Vancouver HR about 5 months ago. Rate was $249 Canadian a night. Called the "Discoverist" number on the website and asked if I could amend it to two nights only (found a Rocketmiles price of $240 at another place that would give me 9000 AA miles for third night).

The Discoverist phone rep indicated that they have to re-do the whole fare, now instead of $249 per night x3, it will be $440 per night x 2. I decide to keep the three nights. Figure I will just stay the 3 nights at HR.

Called the front desk and the lady who answered was super nice, saw I was a Discoverist and said she could do it.

So my question is.........who is correct? The "Discoverist" phone rep who said "no" or the front desk agent who said "no problem"?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Hi:

Booked 3 nights at Vancouver HR about 5 months ago. Rate was $249 Canadian a night. Called the "Discoverist" number on the website and asked if I could amend it to two nights only (found a Rocketmiles price of $240 at another place that would give me 9000 AA miles for third night).

The Discoverist phone rep indicated that they have to re-do the whole fare, now instead of $249 per night x3, it will be $440 per night x 2. I decide to keep the three nights. Figure I will just stay the 3 nights at HR.

Called the front desk and the lady who answered was super nice, saw I was a Discoverist and said she could do it.

So my question is.........who is correct? The "Discoverist" phone rep who said "no" or the front desk agent who said "no problem"?
Both. When you call central reservations they have less flexibility to come up with "custom rates" and can only price a stay the way the system is setup. However when you call the hotel directly they may have the ability to override the rate (depending on the policies their hotel setup) as its their hotel and they individually manage rates and inventory.

Here's a similar example.....

Recently I wanted a 3 night stay at a specific hotel. Hyatt dot com showed its as $175 for the 1st night but $220 for nights 2 and 3. I made the reservation for 1 night at $175 and when I got to the hotel I asked if I could extend for 3 nights for the $175 rate. They happily obliged. Pressing my luck a bit further I asked if they could also make a reservation for the next week at $175 and he said sorry, next week is showing $210/night.

So in my case they were willing to extend the rate to multiple days but not make a new reservation from scratch at the lower rate.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:12 am

nothing new

as a former diamond, and present globalist had come across this many a time. sorry to be rude but exploring isn't going to get much attention from CRO, that said i have 90% of times had success calling up to speak directly with the property. yeah, it could be an extra call, take a bit if time but in the end accomplished i wanted vs settling.
my only suggestion is for you to double check that everything is in order and possibly get a name with the confirmation (i usually ask and then say a personalized thank you)
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
It makes me wonder about the "exclusive phone" line they have set up for me. If they exclusively tell me no, there really is no reason for it. I like the front desk approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.