Wiki Posts
Search

Signing the breakfast tab

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Smile

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
So you end up giving the server a 40% tip on a breakfast? 20% by yourself and 20% by the property just because you "want to make sure"?

I'm not staying at a hotel to deal with this kind of nonsense. T&C say the tip is taken care of by the property and that's the end of it for me. Definitely not going to waste a second though on this.
Sadly this is the experiences we encounter at the NA Hyatt properties with regards to the tipping functions. It is so much more straight forward in your part of the, BKK, world as all service charges are baked into the price of the dining experience.

you are correct though, it is something to not get our knickers knotted up when we have far more important issues to deal with, like GLOB Room Upgrades eh?

best,

L
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:10 am

I guess some official clarity on this from Hyatt would be great. I've always assumed if you leave zero on the tip line then they get zero. I always put down 20%. Occasionally a portion of that has appeared on my folio, but always quickly removed when asked. I took this to assume that the system is "programmed" at some hotels to allow something along the lines of 15%...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luvFclass
Sadly this is the experiences we encounter at the NA Hyatt properties with regards to the tipping functions. It is so much more straight forward in your part of the, BKK, world as all service charges are baked into the price of the dining experience.

you are correct though, it is something to not get our knickers knotted up when we have far more important issues to deal with, like GLOB Room Upgrades eh?

best,

L
Globalist Room / Suite Upgrades are obviously more important for the customer experience than worrying about operational issues. Just some folks like to make their life more complicated than necessary. Tipping isn't my problem!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:36 pm

Globalist Room / Suite Upgrades are obviously more important for the customer experience than worrying about operational issues. Just some folks like to make their life more complicated than necessary. Tipping isn't my problem!
Doing my best to take care of the hardworking staff IS a priority for me....
59Impala and MarkOK like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:11 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Plus, even if you don't care about the staff (I do, some don't), if you plan on having more than one meal there, it pays to not be the person they remember as the one who doesn't tip. Your waiter isn't going to know or care that you have Globalist and that the hotel might reimburse them automatically.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
Plus, even if you don't care about the staff (I do, some don't), if you plan on having more than one meal there, it pays to not be the person they remember as the one who doesn't tip. Your waiter isn't going to know or care that you have Globalist and that the hotel might reimburse them automatically.
How exactly does it "pay" ?

If the service isn't appropriate then I'm going to talk to a manager and the staff should know how their internal mechanisms work. I'd go a step further: They do exactly know how it works and whenever someone tells you "Tip isn't included in Diamond breakfast" it's a scam.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it makes you feel better then nobody stops you from leaving any amount of money behind that you wish. It's a free country after all.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How exactly does it "pay" ?

If the service isn't appropriate then I'm going to talk to a manager and the staff should know how their internal mechanisms work. I'd go a step further: They do exactly know how it works and whenever someone tells you "Tip isn't included in Diamond breakfast" it's a scam.
Also I'm not sure that they don't know. They do have to enter your room number after all. I have no idea what their system displays.

But since it gets comped off when you do write in the tip I don't really see why I shouldn't write it, just in case.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I guess some official clarity on this from Hyatt would be great. I've always assumed if you leave zero on the tip line then they get zero. I always put down 20%. Occasionally a portion of that has appeared on my folio, but always quickly removed when asked. I took this to assume that the system is "programmed" at some hotels to allow something along the lines of 15%...
We HAVE official clarity. Part of the Global benefit is breakfast, where Hyatt funds both the meal and the tip.

Your assumption that leaving zero on the tip line means no tip is incorrect.

It's as simple as that. If you want to leave a total of 35% or 40% or more by tipping on top of Hyatt's tip, that is entirely up to you and I applaud you for doing so. But don't claim Hyatt doesn't provide clarity -- they do.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
We HAVE official clarity. Part of the Global benefit is breakfast, where Hyatt funds both the meal and the tip.

It's as simple as that. If you want to leave a total of 35% or 40% or more by tipping on top of Hyatt's tip, that is entirely up to you and I applaud you for doing so. But don't claim Hyatt doesn't provide clarity -- they do.
And where does your information come from? Specifically, if I leave 20% on the tip line how do you know that means the server gets 40%? Did your concierge tell you this? A hotel F&B manager or GM? PLEASE don’t tell us you base this on your reading and interpretation of the T&Cs as while they are clear that Hyatt covers the tip they are NOT clear as to whether we should or should not leave a tip amount on the tip line....

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Nov 25, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

If you separately tip, say 20% on a Global breakfast, the hardworking staff ends up with 35-38% total. That's great if that's what you want, but what about when hardworking staff serves you dinner? Since Hyatt doesn't pay anything beyond staff wages for dinner, do you tip 35-38% instead of 20%? I have to assume you do given your stated priority.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by JackE

We have zero clarity.

Your assumption, that whatever the guest puts on the tip line is added to whatever WoH pays towards the tip, is also (at least in some cases) incorrect.
I have seen some places (I think Hyatt Regency DFW is one example) where a small part of the tip I specified was charged to my bill. IE: I leave a $3 tip on a "zero balance" breakfast bill and my folio gets charged 50 cents. I assume that the WoH "gratuity included" benefit was determined to be $2.50 and any amount over that amount is my responsibility. That's just my assumption, so no clarity here since you believe the server would get $5.50 total.

More common is the case where my folio is charged the full $3 I specified. This could support your assumption that the server was given my $3 on top of what WoH paid, but doesn't prove it. I'm not seeing the clarity.

Even more common is where I add $3 tip and see nothing added to my folio. IMHO, this supports my theory that since the tip amount I specified was appropriate to the value of the breakfast, my $3 amount is what the server was paid and WoH covered it. I can't see WoH paying the server their set amount plus my $3 and covering my amount also. I can't provide proof to support my theory, but it seems more plausible than yours. Definitely no clarity here.

I suspect that the actual answer would be "it varies by property'. Confusing to the customers, but common in large franchised operations. Absolutely zero clarity.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by steve64
We have zero clarity.

Your assumption, that whatever the guest puts on the tip line is added to whatever WoH pays towards the tip, is also (at least in some cases) incorrect.
I have seen some places (I think Hyatt Regency DFW is one example) where a small part of the tip I specified was charged to my bill. IE: I leave a $3 tip on a "zero balance" breakfast bill and my folio gets charged 50 cents. I assume that the WoH "gratuity included" benefit was determined to be $2.50 and any amount over that amount is my responsibility. That's just my assumption, so no clarity here since you believe the server would get $5.50 total.

More common is the case where my folio is charged the full $3 I specified. This could support your assumption that the server was given my $3 on top of what WoH paid, but doesn't prove it. I'm not seeing the clarity.

Even more common is where I add $3 tip and see nothing added to my folio. IMHO, this supports my theory that since the tip amount I specified was appropriate to the value of the breakfast, my $3 amount is what the server was paid and WoH covered it. I can't see WoH paying the server their set amount plus my $3 and covering my amount also. I can't provide proof to support my theory, but it seems more plausible than yours. Definitely no clarity here.

I suspect that the actual answer would be "it varies by property'. Confusing to the customers, but common in large franchised operations. Absolutely zero clarity.
Extremely well said and this mirrrors my experience, as well. Some actual clarity on this important topic would be great for those of us that care about the staff that serve us....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.