Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signing the breakfast tab

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:59 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I think the question goes far beyond the Diamond breakfast. A breakfast may be "complimentary" because the lounge is closed, it's part of a package, it's part of a corporate rate, it's part of a conference or convention rate, it's offered as a service recovery, or ??? Maybe I'm giving Hyatt too much credit here, but I'm thinking they have figured this out.

Last edited by skj; Jan 10, 2017 at 9:00 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
Having talked with waitstaff at several properties - this datapoint is highly dependent upon the property. Again, people need to stop being so fricking chintzy and tip their waitstaff.
People (who are Diamond) are tipping, by virtue of being Diamond. If that tip is not passed onto the server, that is neither the fault nor the responsibility of the guest.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is simply a misunderstanding of how the industry works. Regretably it varies by property. I've made a point of asking whatever passes for the headwaiter, e.g. the person who assigns you to a table, how the property handles tips at any place where a tip might be included.

What you think ought to be the deal is irrelevant to what the deal is.

You are never under any obligation to tip anyone anywhere. So, you can be cheap even if you are paying for your own meal in cash. But, that doesn't make it right.

Once you know how the property handles it, tip accordingly.

The same people here who sc**w some person out of a tip are the same people who rant when their own employer forces them to fly in E- on DL in the middle seat in steerage. They don't get the irony or the justice !
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:33 am

(http://wikitravel.org/en/Tipping)

In most countries service personnel get paid enough to live on, and they do not have to rely on tips. While intentions are clearly good, (mostly North American) tourists are sometimes not aware of this, (or they know, but they just feel bad not tipping), and they export their generous behaviour to other countries where tipping is traditionally not customary, especially to tourist areas.
Just a thought.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The same people here who sc**w some person out of a tip are the same people who rant when their own employer forces them to fly in E- on DL in the middle seat in steerage. They don't get the irony or the justice !
I am sitting in F on AA right now.

Even if I knew a property doesn't pay out Diamond tips, I would not tip. Does it suck for the server, yes. Is it my responsibility, no.

If Hyatt did not say that Diamond tips were included, then I would tip.

Bottom line is there is no justice in blaming the wrong party. It is the employer screwing the employee out of tips.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Having talked with waitstaff at several properties - this datapoint is highly dependent upon the property. Again, people need to stop being so fricking chintzy and tip their waitstaff.

I for one can choke back a dollar or two... and I'd suggest anyone else who's too poor to afford to tip an extra dollar on their bill should post up on here, and we can pass around a hat to help. Its a free breakfast... yeesh.

Its crap like this that makes FT so fricking annoying at times... trying to eek a nickel out of every single thing they do.
If you really believe that servers get zero on a Diamond breakfast, why do you keep mentioning a dollar and making it seem like others are misers for not tipping $1-2 extra? Hyatt restaurant breakfasts are usually pretty expensive. Our bill (for 2) is always at least $50 and sometimes (PH Beaver Creek, Andaz San Diego) closer to $80 or $100. So, an extra 20% tip is easily $10-20 on top.

I'm tired of guessing whether or not extra tips written in will be charged at checkout, so I take the line of giving an extra $5 (usually about 10%) in cash. Along with the standard (15% Diamond gratuity, I've seen that on the bill in several locations), that's totally more than sufficient in my eyes, and in others' eyes, absolutely superfluous. If the service is lousy, I let the standard 15% ride; if it's amazing (Hyatt Palm Springs, HR Houston), I might leave $10 cash.

I won't be guilted into showering staff with like 35+% tip (standard plus extra) just to placate some anonymous person online whom I'll never meet nor to make myself feel magnanimous.

(also, sorry, but it's "eke," not like Eek, Alaska or what a Victorian woman says when spying a mouse).
joe_miami likes this.

Last edited by nineworldseries; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by davie355
Even if I knew a property doesn't pay out Diamond tips, I would not tip. Does it suck for the server, yes. Is it my responsibility, no.

If Hyatt did not say that Diamond tips were included, then I would tip.

Bottom line is there is no justice in blaming the wrong party. It is the employer screwing the employee out of tips.

You're a marvelous human... I wish to be just like you when I grow up. Way to stick it to the man by f-ing over wait staff. You sir deserve a medal.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
If you really believe that servers get zero on a Diamond breakfast, why do you keep mentioning a dollar and making it seem like others are misers for not tipping $1-2 extra?
I mention a dollar because if you put a blank on the tip line many places they will get 0.

I put 20-25% on the tip line and for most of my bills a handful of dollars for breakfast for 1 are at most put onto the bill. Most properties will remove the 15% gratuity off and leave the remainder on your bill. So ya, its a couple bucks.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The problem can be solved by leaving a cash tip at he table if you desire. Cheers, Doc
I do precisely what you suggest. I insert my room number, sign the check and cross out the rest. If it turns out the server is getting a double dip on the gratuity, so be it.

Also, I strongly believe that tipping is a personal thing, and that what works for me may not suit others.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond

I for one can choke back a dollar or two... and I'd suggest anyone else who's too poor to afford to tip an extra dollar on their bill should post up on here, and we can pass around a hat to help. Its a free breakfast... yeesh.

Its crap like this that makes FT so fricking annoying at times... trying to eek a nickel out of every single thing they do.
The terms and conditions on the Diamond Breakfast benefit are stated pretty clearly on this. Gratuity is included. In my conversations with Front Desk staff - it's typically around 18% which I find to be perfectly acceptable for average service - I feel free to adjust up accordingly if I feel inclined. From your conversations with waitstaff, this datapoint is debatable, which is unfortunate, and should be addressed, but not by us.

This isn't about the guest being 'cheap' IMO - sure, we can all afford more. As a consumer, it's about understanding what the product offering includes, which ultimately affects what you're willing to pay, and what you're willing to pay extra for. Besides, if you truly believe the waitstaff is getting scr*wed by the hotel, what makes you think they'll see that extra dollar or two anyway? You would be doing a much greater deed by chasing management to fix/address the issue.

Hyatt has specified what is included - frankly, it's not our responsibility, or my inclination to awkwardly question whether the employer is adhering to rules - in theory, this should work itself out if what is promised the employees doesn't materialize. And, when does it end? Do you follow the busboy to the kitchen and take a poll as to whether tips are being pooled and split fairly? Housekeeping? Doormen? Are you 'cheap' if they say no and you don't give each an extra $5?

At the end of the day, it's up to Hyatt to set forth the T&C's accurately, and adhere to them consistently. We decide individually whether they represent value to us and act accordingly, but we shouldn't need to make inquiries, assumptions or judgements on them.

Finally, breakfast is not really free. You're not paying for it in that moment, but you have paid for it. Or earned it, depending on how you look at it. Obviously people have widely differing views on fairness and value on that.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's well and good to say that it's the property's responsibility, but if the server has provided good service, I'm not comfortable walking away and leaving nothing in circumstances where it's not clear whether the server will otherwise receive a tip. We're talking about employees who may be receiving the federal minimum wage of $2.13 per hour. After all, I'm really not going to miss the $5 or $10.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:20 pm

$2.13 per hour, in the context of the Pritzker family being worth around 20 billion. Something not right in the system.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Not good advice - you're likely leaving 0 tip for your wait staff.

I'm not sure why people are so cheap in general on the tipping for comped hyatt breakfast... tip what you normally would, and you know what - if a 1 dollar or so line item appears on your folio - the waitstaff needs it probably more than you.

It's VERY good advice. The wait staff certainly gets tipped by the HGP terms. I've even confirmed that with a few servers.

As to your advice, you should tip $1,000 since the waitstaff probably needs $1,000 more than you do.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:20 pm

gunksny hit the nail on the head IMO.

Kacee makes good points without insulting those who may uncomfortable walking away leaving nothing for the server -- but also uncomfortable taking it upon themselves to right that particular wrong. We never know someone else's full financial situation, and even if we did, it's not our place to judge, insult, or mock how their financial choices. When austin_modern "grows up," as he or she has implicitly acknowledged to not yet having done so, perhaps the "medal" bestowed upon me will be revoked.

I always aim to tip in accord with the appropriate local standard. In the case of Hyatt Diamond, there exists an agreement that the tip for breakfast service is covered. Any breakdown in said agreement, from the point of view of the server, should be taken up with Hyatt.

Here's an analogy. When I use my United status to enter a Lufthansa lounge, there is an agreement United will pay Lufthansa for my usage. Should Lufthansa not receive this payment, its beef is with United, not with me.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Kacee makes good points without insulting those who may uncomfortable walking away leaving nothing for the server -- but also uncomfortable taking it upon themselves to right that particular wrong. We never know someone else's full financial situation, and even if we did, it's not our place to judge, insult, or mock how their financial choices. When austin_modern "grows up," as he or she has implicitly acknowledged to not yet having done so, perhaps the "medal" bestowed upon me will be revoked.
you will forever have that medal... and in my minds eye it will be painted a chintz pattern of blues and lavenders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.