Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Diamond Re-qualification? Am I scr*wed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Re-qualification? Am I scr*wed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And I don't understand how you can even consider that a night stayed in December (not just on Dec 31) wil not be counted in that year.

Off course stay credit is awarded after checkout, but the date stayed is the only thing that matters. Not some software implementation that processes using the date where a transaction is received, whenever that is.

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 6, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:41 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by RTW1
And I don't understand how you can even consider that a night stayed in December (not just on Dec 31) wil not be counted in that year.

Off course stay credit is awarded after checkout, but the date stayed is the only thing that matters. Not some software implementation that processes using the date where a transaction is received, whenever that is.
Nicely said!!

One can't possibly have earned on a night stayed in 2017 for a night actuall stayed and bed slept in, in calendar year 2016. It doesn't make any sense and clearly goes against the terms of qualifying stays are earned during the calendar year through Dec 31st.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by austin_modern
I dont understand why this is all so complicated - its pretty clear that hyatt (and all other hotels) settle up everything on the day you checkout - points, charging your card, final bills, etc.

"A Hyatt Gold Passport member will only receive eligible tier credit for qualifying stays or nights after the member completes their stay and is checked out of the hotel."

From the TOS.
And the fact that half the stay (or more) is legitimately in the year 2017. It's not like you check out and leave at 11:59 PM right before the ball drops.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."

Beyond what I said - it has (for years) been discussed in threads on here about how this particular night is handled and q/a/speculation on if it will count or not. In those years it has always been assigned to the next year. It was an exception for those who got stays split to allow stay or night credits into 2016. Those exceptions were handled on a case by case basis. While it sucks for the OP, this is how the cards fall when dealing with these types of coinflip decisions.

Again, exceptions should not be counted on when hotel hopping for status.

Edit: one last thing - this similar situation also replays itself each and every time a promo is announced. Will the last night count or not.... theres enough history to suggest to someone with 24 stays that its probably risky as hell to have counted on the exception. Either way, wont matter a whole lot - since many folks limping in with 25 stays will likely not make globalist and are unlikely to be future hyatt frequent guests with the prior change. My guess is they took that into account as well with the denials.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:33 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc

Good news for me, account just adjusted by CS for Dec 31st stay to count in the real calendar year it was accrued in 2016.
Keep the pressure up on Hyatt CS if you had a similar such stay as mine and keep quoting the existing 2016 and future WOH TC that both clearly say elite qualifying nights are earned in the calendar year Jan-Dec through Dec 31

All those negative folks claiming it should really count in 2017 can say whatever but HYATT GP tc Ddo say nights in the calendar year Jan-Dec and DON'T state that a night stayed is really counted as the next night on the calendar *which makes no sense in the first place
I'm happy for now (2017) still upset at the effort and stress it took to resolve.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:43 pm
mp2
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Glad to hear it worked out for you too. ^.

You are right, it probably shouldn't have needed this much effort. However I guess the outcome overshadows the stress. So am good.

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
Good news for me, account just adjusted by CS for Dec 31st stay to count in the real calendar year it was accrued in 2016.
Keep the pressure up on Hyatt CS if you had a similar such stay as mine and keep quoting the existing 2016 and future WOH TC that both clearly say elite qualifying nights are earned in the calendar year Jan-Dec through Dec 31

All those negative folks claiming it should really count in 2017 can say whatever but HYATT GP tc Ddo say nights in the calendar year Jan-Dec and DON'T state that a night stayed is really counted as the next night on the calendar *which makes no sense in the first place
I'm happy for now (2017) still upset at the effort and stress it took to resolve.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Beyond what I said - it has (for years) been discussed in threads on here about how this particular night is handled and q/a/speculation on if it will count or not. In those years it has always been assigned to the next year. It was an exception for those who got stays split to allow stay or night credits into 2016. Those exceptions were handled on a case by case basis. While it sucks for the OP, this is how the cards fall when dealing with these types of coinflip decisions.

Again, exceptions should not be counted on when hotel hopping for status.
Exceptions are rare events, crediting a night to the new or prior year was never an exception, it was done so often it was an allowance. Hyatt has now decided not to offer that allowance, which is fine, however they did so without any notification, which is not so fine.

As for the mention of 'hotel hopping for status': Who exactly is hotel hopping in this thread or did you just pull that out of nowhere for rhetorical purposes?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsquared37
As for the mention of 'hotel hopping for status': Who exactly is hotel hopping in this thread or did you just pull that out of nowhere for rhetorical purposes?
Yes, if OP had chosen to "hotel hop," he would not have had an issue, since his 12/30 - 1/1 stay would have been split in two, and the 12/31 check-out would have requalified him without incident.

Just more of the culture of insult which now permeates this forum.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, if OP had chosen to "hotel hop," he would not have had an issue, since his 12/30 - 1/1 stay would have been split in two, and the 12/31 check-out would have requalified him without incident.

Just more of the culture of insult which now permeates this forum.
^
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Exceptions are rare events, crediting a night to the new or prior year was never an exception, it was done so often it was an allowance. Hyatt has now decided not to offer that allowance, which is fine, however they did so without any notification, which is not so fine.

+1.

it was standard practice to credit those stays to either side of year or promo qualification - hence the shock to come across completely different interpretation this time. Glad to see things being sorted out and common sense (or goodwill) prevailing. I am pretty certain front line agents were only informed of this change recently as they mentioned flexibility on this not too long ago. Future policy is fine either way as long as properly communicated to everyone.

Of more concern to me personally is that once party line was established they did not want to offer flexibility without consulting someone internally - a disturbing sign of things possibly changing within GP - CSRs may no longer be empowered to help out and bend the rules when deemed reasonable... No waivers no favors - i hope to be wrong... For years i trusted hyatt more than any other major brand in travel industry and they could usually offer help when i needed it...
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by azepine00
Of more concern to me personally is that once party line was established they did not want to offer flexibility without consulting someone internally - a disturbing sign of things possibly changing within GP - CSRs may no longer be empowered to help out and bend the rules when deemed reasonable... No waivers no favors - i hope to be wrong... For years i trusted hyatt more than any other major brand in travel industry and they could usually offer help when i needed it...
And no "Please send me the details via PM so we can look into your issue" from GP Concierge here.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And no "Please send me the details via PM so we can look into your issue" from GP Concierge here.
I had 3 different GP Concierge agents working on my question and replies here.... all stating the same policy, the complete stay posts in the year of checkout. And then even some PR how great Explorer status is...

Not really worth bothering them anymore I feel.

But if this is the way the software is setup it really is substandard (I guess it fits right in with the rest of Hyatt IT). Next year is going to be fun when that 5 night stay after Xmas posts in 2018 and you would have done 60 nights but you won't get status because the system only counts 55. It's though understanding what a calendar year means....

Last edited by RTW1; Jan 7, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by azepine00
Future policy is fine either way as long as properly communicated to everyone.
Not really... if you state in the T&C's you need xx nights in a calender year you better count the number of nights based on the date they were stayed.

You could debate in which year the stay credit is earned, but since this will be a useless variable after March 1st they better fix their software to count correctly.

But hey, if I had planned better in December and made it all one stay I could already be halfway to Globalist status on Jan 1st...
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:37 am

A company that splits hairs over dates, when it's that close, to determine who is a Global whatever and who is Explorist pond scum doesn't deserve anyone's loyalty. And btw, where does Hyatt get these names?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
A company that splits hairs over dates, when it's that close, to determine who is a Global whatever and who is Explorist pond scum doesn't deserve anyone's loyalty. And btw, where does Hyatt get these names?
Globs and Slobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.