Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Hyatt allow to advance DSU?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Does Hyatt allow to advance DSU?

Qualified for globalist this year already, ran out of DSU, have 1 stay in Jan coming up. Did anyone try and have success in trying to advance DSUs?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
I have tried to get a DSU used for a March stay, unsuccessfully. I contacted the hotel directly, and they wrote back to me, that I need to contact GP. I didn't contact them yet.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
No, they do not.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No, but in the future DSUs will arrive when you hit 60 nights, instead of having to wait for 1 March. This is going to have some consequences that I'm not sure people have been contemplating yet...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hopefully the upgrades are good until the end of the next calendar year. If they are only good for one year from the date they're issued, it could penalize people for getting 60 nights too quickly (for example if you hit 60 days in August, but want to use an upgrade in September of the next year.) Have you heard if they will be good for one year or through the next calendar year? (technically it would be the end of February)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by sm71
Hopefully the upgrades are good until the end of the next calendar year.
I believe the terms and conditions say they are good for 12 months. But I can't verify because Hyatt IT has decided to do "a little housekeeping"...
Attached Images  
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:17 am

That's always nice! One other thing I'm wondering about is when we get the upgrades in the future (after March 1st). The terms say that you get them after hitting 60 nights. But, if you're Globalist in 2017, you only need 55 nights to requalify. I'm hoping we'll get the upgrades at 55 nights, and not 60. But, who knows.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I believe the terms and conditions say they are good for 12 months. But I can't verify because Hyatt IT has decided to do "a little housekeeping"...
I really hope that by "12 months" they really mean "the end of the next calendar year".

As others have started saying, it would be a real PITA if they have them to you upon 55/60 nights. Say if you hit that in August 2017, so your certs are only good through August 2018. What if you wanted to use a DSU in October 2018, but don't hit 55/60 nights until December 2018? Does that mean that you're really not able to use a DSU in that time period? Seems very poorly thought out (I know; surprise, surprise)
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
From the mega thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27417461-post604.html

From the FAQ.....

When will I receive the four suite upgrade awards?

Current Hyatt Gold Passport members who are awarded Globalist status on March 1, 2017, will receive the four suite upgrade awards in their account in early March 2017. All other members will receive the awards at the time of achieving or re-achieving Globalist status by completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points within each calendar year. The four suite upgrade awards are valid for reservations with a checkout date no later than one year from the date of award issuance. These are electronic awards automatically deposited into a member’s account.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:04 am

Yeah, if they do 12 months from the date it's issued, I'll be delaying getting 60 qualification nights and staying at Marriott properties to delay it. I'm not going to hit 70 nights, so if I need to use an upgrade in November, I'll have to wait to December to hit 60 nights. Hopefully they change these terms.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jameswes
I really hope that by "12 months" they really mean "the end of the next calendar year".
They don't.

From the FAQ.....

When will I receive the four suite upgrade awards?

Current Hyatt Gold Passport members who are awarded Globalist status on March 1, 2017, will receive the four suite upgrade awards in their account in early March 2017. All other members will receive the awards at the time of achieving or re-achieving Globalist status by completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points within each calendar year. The four suite upgrade awards are valid for reservations with a checkout date no later than one year from the date of award issuance. These are electronic awards automatically deposited into a member’s account.
I can't think of any other US program that so limits upgrade certs. Certainly not the three legacy airlines. It would be so easy for Hyatt to set the expiration for Feb. 28 of the year following . . . this really an unfriendly policy.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

I can't think of any other US program that so limits upgrade certs. Certainly not the three legacy airlines. It would be so easy for Hyatt to set the expiration for Feb. 28 of the year following . . . this really an unfriendly policy.
I agree. I'll have to contact Hyatt and suggest that all upgrades in the future are good through February of the following year. Hopefully they listen. If not I'm sure there will be a lot of unhappy people.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:48 am

completing 60 Tier-Qualifying Nights or earning 100,000 Base Points within each calendar year.
And it would also make no sense if they don't give upgrades until hitting 60 qualification nights if you can requalify at 55 nights. Hopefully it's well thought out, but just not documented correctly.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by sm71
But, if you're Globalist in 2017, you only need 55 nights to requalify.
NO. I realize Hyatt made this confusing, but everyone, regardless of status, needs 60 nights in 2017 to requalify. This has been rehashed here many times.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know when Delta issues them, but their T&C state that they do expire after 12 months ("no exceptions"!)

"Expiration Date: Certificate expires twelve months from date of issue - no exceptions. If the expiration date falls during ticketed travel, only flights flown during the valid period are eligible for upgrade. Certificate may not be extended, reissued or returned for credit under any circumstances."

Perhaps Hyatt wants to be the Delta of hotel programs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.