Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on cancelling Hyatt CC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Advice on cancelling Hyatt CC

I have been a hyatt gold member for 3 yrs now, have had their card for just as long. But I feel having a chase credit card like sapphire or freedom is of more value. Hyatt has terrible transfer rates and I am not even going to make their globalist status next year( short by 6 nights ).

Anyway with Chase I can transfer points 1:1 to hyatt and many other partners. So I would rather earn those points. I don't see the value in paying an annual fee on it, when there much more valuable cards I can apply for.

I called Chase about waiving the annual fee, they said they could only give me a partial waiver for one year and they said they could not downgrade my card to a no annual fee card either since its co-owned by Hyatt.

Given all of this I just want to cancel it.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ft_515
Just do it. Quite a few will be following in your footsteps over the next year.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JetAway
Just do it. Quite a few will be following in your footsteps over the next year.
I just cancelled mine as the Reserve earns 3x UR per dollar on Hyatt properties and much more. Now that they have also removed the $40k/5 night spend benefit, the Hyatt card is effectively useless outside of annual free night.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ft_515
I have been a hyatt gold member for 3 yrs now, have had their card for just as long. But I feel having a chase credit card like sapphire or freedom is of more value. Hyatt has terrible transfer rates and I am not even going to make their globalist status next year( short by 6 nights ).

Anyway with Chase I can transfer points 1:1 to hyatt and many other partners. So I would rather earn those points. I don't see the value in paying an annual fee on it, when there much more valuable cards I can apply for.

I called Chase about waiving the annual fee, they said they could only give me a partial waiver for one year and they said they could not downgrade my card to a no annual fee card either since its co-owned by Hyatt.

Just do it.^

I did some research and closed mine. The Hyatt card became nearly worthless with World Of Hurt, so now you need a multi-program earner like the Chase Sapphire (get the reserve for the best bang for the buck). UR is the best rewards program out there right now.

Also, the Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) has the most professional, proactive customer service that I have ever experienced.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 16, 2016 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:24 am

Just remember to cancel it after you receive your annual free night cert. You have up to one billing cycle to get the AF refunded from Chase.

That is my plan. I may apply again for the card to get the signup bonus since its been 24 months since I first got the card
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I didn't realise that you were only allowed one credit card ever...

If the free night is worth more to you than the annual fee, then keep this card in a drawer and put your day-to-day spending through a more lucrative card.

If it's not, then you probably should have cancelled right after getting your sign-up bonus of two free nights anywhere.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by craigthemif

If the free night is worth more to you than the annual fee, then keep this card in a drawer and put your day-to-day spending through a more lucrative card.

If it's not, then you probably should have cancelled right after getting your sign-up bonus of two free nights anywhere.
The credit line from your closed Hyatt card is added to your CSR credit line. So there is a good reason to close it if you are a high spender.

And a free cat 4 night is nearly worthless to those of us who travel mainly to major city centers, so much so, that I haven't been able to use one in the last two years, and they have expired unused.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 17, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
I am thinking of cancelling the card. One question - does Chase do partial refund of the AF? I used the card for about 4 months since I get the last free night certificate... thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by zombietooth
And a free cat 4 night is nearly worthless to those of us who travel mainly to major city centers
I was surprised to find out that the Hyatt Vancouver qualifies, and is quite a good value.

Originally Posted by Tommys888
does Chase do partial refund of the AF?
Not that I've heard of.

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Just remember to cancel it after you receive your annual free night cert.
And they don't claw back the cert? I thought they didn't even give the cert until you paid the fee.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I was surprised to find out that the Hyatt Vancouver qualifies, and is quite a good value.
Well, I guess I'm on a streak of bad luck. I was just in Japan and tried to use one at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo and was told by the Diamond Desk that there was no availability, even though standard rooms were available.

I tried again on check-in, and got the same story.

This property was easy in the past for using free night certs and DSUs, and I have totally struck-out this year.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by craigthemif

^ That's my plan. It will go in the sock drawer next to my IHG credit card.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
a free cat 4 night is nearly worthless to those of us who travel mainly to major city centers, so much so, that I haven't been able to use one in the last two years, and they have expired unused.
Yup. I will cancel my card in 6 months.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
The credit line from your closed Hyatt card is added to your CSR credit line. So there is a good reason to close it if you are a high spender.

And a free cat 4 night is nearly worthless to those of us who travel mainly to major city centers, so much so, that I haven't been able to use one in the last two years, and they have expired unused.
While the 1-4 certificate has been significantly devalued, I have to call this statement a gross exaggeration. NYC and LA (and LA only because there's just one real Hyatt) are the only two "major city centers" in the US where a Cat. 1-4 cert is unusable. SF and SD are pretty close, as the most central hotels are Cat. 5s, but there are still Category 4 options in both cities.

Seattle, San Jose, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Chicago, Minneapolis, Columbus, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Miami, DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Boston are all "major city centers" and all have central city FS Hyatts at Cat. 4 or below. I have no experience with major cities outside the US, but if you often travel to those, you probably have little need for a Hyatt card anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I'm not a fan of either of the Toronto Hyatts, but I have used my free CC night at both, with substantial savings over the lowest paid rate (particularly when you add in savings on the Canadian taxes). Toronto is certainly a major city and each of the Hyatts is well-located, depending on where one wants to be.

Is there a definitive answer on clawing back the cert in the event of card cancellation? I had thought one had to pay the AF in order to keep the cert, but there's a suggestion upthread that this is not the case. It's a very timely question for me.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And they don't claw back the cert? I thought they didn't even give the cert until you paid the fee.
Last I heard they don't claw it back. I believe the cert posts in the same billing cycle as when the AF is charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.