Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best California Hyatts for long winter weekend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best California Hyatts for long winter weekend?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Best California Hyatts for long winter weekend?

I've perused a few very useful threads here about California Hyatts, but didn't notice any that focus on winter recommendations. So...

My wife and I might be looking to take off for the long MLK weekend in January. I have a DSU to burn before the end of February. FWIW, we also have a few Hyatt cc free nights (though those are valid through July). Any recommendations on the best hotel(s) to consider, taking into account the quality of the hotel itself, as well as Diamond treatment and quality of potential upgrade? We're open to both urban and resort destinations, though not anywhere likely to be snowy.

Southern California would be great, though we'd consider other options (but not Carmel since it seems that no upgraded rooms are available those dates and not Napa because we have relatives we can stay with there anyway).

Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Park Hyatt Aviara is worth considering.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, US Air Gold
I live in SD and find Aviara to be underwhelming. The property is decent. But the area is fairly boring. You are not near any off property restaurants. Not a bad place if you want to have a golf weekend.

I wouls go with Indian Wells or Huntington Beach.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hyatt Diamond SPG Plat Marriott Plat
HR Huntington Beach is a good option in SoCal.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ceebee100
Park Hyatt Aviara is worth considering.
I'd consider this to but bear in mind they will still hit you up for $30/day parking fee and possibly another $30/day resort fee.

Further south there are the Hyatts in the San Diego area but they are not Park Hyatts so may not be as good a value.

I like the Indian Wells suggestion if you can get upgraded into a casita somehow.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:50 pm

Andaz West Hollywood
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be worth considering the Manchester GH in San Diego. It's a large convention hotel, but it was recently renovated and has a good lounge. It's right along the water at seaport village and close to the boat to Coronado. You can walk to the Gaslamp area and in fact all of downtown, although of course not the zoo etc. They gave me a wonderful huge suite, the size of four normal rooms and located on the top floor, with butler's kitchen and dining area, the last time I used a DSU here, although their regular DSU upgrade is a standard junior suite. Valet parking is expensive but I wasn't asked to pay a resort fee. IIRC there are heated outdoor pools for both kids and adults and also some fire pits on a mezzanine level outdoor deck.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We're in the same boat and I was interested to see if there would be any suggestions here I've not previously considered.

Aviara is reasonably close to north County destinations such as Carlsbad and Encinitas. That's a great area.

Huntington Beach is great, but I'd rather go in the summer.

I'll have to look into Indian Wells.

I would not recommend Manchester GH. I've been staying there quite a bit lately and it is the quintessential convention property. Not a fan of the area around the convention center nor Gaslamp. Young rowdy party scene.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would second Indian Wells.... I like the penthouse rooms there and a villa is even better. The rest of the properties are pretty bland. But it all depends on what you want to do and what you value in a stay.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indian wells. The weather is more reliable there in winter abd Doug Sears should still be GM..
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by Colin
Andaz West Hollywood
Agree, was here last weekend ... the suites are under renovation, I didn't get the sense that MLK weekend they'll have availability
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
We're open to both urban and resort destinations, though not anywhere likely to be snowy.

!
I can't think of a single Hyatt in the state off hand that's in an area that would have even a remote possibility of snow.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
I can't think of a single Hyatt in the state off hand that's in an area that would have even a remote possibility of snow.
The Northstar Lodge, a Hyatt Residence Club one would hope has snow in January.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
While not Cali, I'd say if you're flying anyway look at Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale. Better, in general, than the California Hyatts
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
<deleted>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.