Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Australia\'s Hyatt footprint increases 20%

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Map| 10 Reviews | 60% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Sydney

161 Sussex Street Sydney, New South Wales AU 2000

Hyatt's Australian footprint increases 20% (7 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Sydney

With a 13 hour daytime layover between flights I went to the Hyatt Regency Sydney which charged a very reasonable $130.

Room

I had booked the entry level room and was upgraded to what the front desk agent said was either a harbour view king or a deluxe king facing Darling Harbour. However, the website's photos don't show either room as having a balcony which mine did. I suspect it was the larger harbour king which is very spacious with plenty of room to move. The balcony is a decent size and you could easily mingle out there with friends and enjoy the views, although there is no outdoor furniture which is probably a good thing because it's usually tacky.

There was no bath (tub) but just a large walk-in shower. Amenities are typical for a Regency. There was plenty of closet space, a long bench-come-desk parallel to the foot of the bed and a couple of lounge chairs. The curtains (drapes) overlapped in the middle to keep the light out which is one of those little design things that really impress me but too few hotels have. However, either end of the curtain allowed enough light in to ensure the room wasn't completely blacked out.IMG_5407.JPGIMG_5408.JPGIMG_5409.JPGIMG_5410.JPGIMG_5411.JPGIMG_5412.JPGIMG_5413.JPG

Check In

The day use rate is marketed as being available between 9am and 5pm but when I checked in the first thing I was asked was "What time would you like to check-out?" Great start. I said 6.30pm and that was given without issue, possibly because the website indicated very low occupancy with overnight rooms starting at just $161. I was not given a choice of amenities or provided with any paraphrenalia about the hotel.

Service

Disappointingly, three times during my approximate seven hour stay I was disturbed by knocks at the door. The first two were from housekeepers, the first of which was inside my room before I had a chance to get to the door. To me this indicates a fault in how the housekeeping team interacts or works with the front desk system. This wasn't a last minute booking so there was absolutely no need for housekeeping to be dropping by. The third disturbance was from a gentleman delivering, for want of a better word, an amenity. It consisted of a coffee cup with the two tea bags! If that's the F&B amenity then Diamond guests will lose nothing come World of Hurt on 1 march. That gentleman did apologise twice for interuppting but I still find it odd. I would think that the prime use of a day room is for sleeping so if you're going to deliver a welcome gift do so prior to arrival or immediately after. 

On checking-out I was asked how my stay was. I said everything was great excecpt for the three disturbances. The lady apologised and asked if I had my DND sign on the door to which I said it really shouldn't be necessary; I had a day room, there was no need for housekeeping. She said she would pass the feedback along. 

A porter helped me with my bags into an airport shuttle, enquired if I was heading home for Christmas and when I said I was heading to Europe he wished me safe travels and a Merry Christmas and shook my hand. All very nice. 

Dining

I arrived too late for breafkast in the restaurant, unfortunately. The Regency Club still remains closed and somewhat to my surprise I was credited with 2500 points for its closure. I would have thought that because the lounge was not so much closed as unopened it wouldn't have posted but it was nice nonetheless. Throw in the 1W and my $130 stay earned my 4k HGP points which is nothing to sneeze at.

On the doorstep of Darling Harbour the hotel is in a very good location for the action that part of town offers. It's roughly three streets up a fairly sharply inclined hill from the hotel to the main part of the city - George and Pitt Streets and their associated shopping areas. The location is very good.

Pool

The largest hotel in Australia doesn't have a pool which is just plain strange. I also thought a pool (and a bath) were among the prerequisites for a a five star badge but apparently not as this hotel markets itself in that top tier. To me it's more a four, 4.5 at a stretch.

Transportation

With time to burn I took the train from the airport (domestic) into the city for a little over $17 one way. Due to my luggage situation I alighted at Town Hall station which is then another seven or eight minute walk. The journey time to Town Hall is 26 minutes. However, it's possible to get off at Musuem station after about 17 minutes and walk further, through the city centre, to the hotel.

On the return the hotel booked me on a third party airport shuttle which was $22 to the international airport. It leaves the hotel at 10 minutes after every hour and got me there in about 45 minutes. There were only three other parties on the buss and they also were heading to the international terminal too so the porter's indication that it would take about an hour is probably more accurate most of the time.

Concierge

As I approached the hotel on foot with a very large suitcase a porter met me halfway down the small driveway and took my bag while I checked in. The same porter helped organise airport transportation for me.

As I approached the hotel on foot with a very large suitcase a porter met me halfway down the small driveway and took my bag while I checked in.

Overall

I was very pleased with my stay. Having never stayed at the property when it was a Four Points I can't comment on any changes but the service and the rooms were really quite good. I'd happily return.

Hyatt's Australian footprint increases 20%

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Sydney?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:00 pm

FYI: I checked in today. I was told the Regency Club would open tomorrow (12/27).
Old Dec 28, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
AusBT review of the Club Lounge http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-hyatt...cy-club-lounge

Pathetically the rooftop won't be open for NYE but they have been selling NYE packages https://sydney.regency.hyatt.com/en/...-packages.html

All signs indicate that management here isn't on the ball.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
A mediocre stay in a mediocre hotel

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Hyatt Regency Sydney

A mediocre stay in a mediocre hotel (12 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Sydney

During the 24 hour window when this property changed from a FP to a HR I was able to secure two rooms on GP points for NYE without the minimum stay requirement. We intended to use one room for ourself and use Guest of Honor for a friend. I did not the two nights before NYE they dropped all minimum stay requirements and were still offering cash bookings.

I had contacted the hotel prior to try to chage to c+p so I could use a DSU and was told over the phone to contact the hotel sales team via email. A week later and I had no received a response. I facebook the property which, it turns out, is actually Hyatt Asia Pacific who in turn called me. During that week all of the suite inventory disappeared. GP Australia were very apologetic, said they had teething problems and would do theur best to upgrade upon arrival.

I knew there would be issues on the stay as the hotel had been advertises NYE packages on the rooftop bar but had to open it. In fact, current reports are that they would open it today, 2 January, so moved the NYE event to a different venue.

Check In

15776979_10100167463885021_3247418102151

We checked in at 4:30PM after self parking at Wilson Parking across the road. If you park yourself without accessing the hotel parking or validating your ticket it's $12-$24, if you validate your parking it's $50 overnight.

There were five check in desks and the second from the left had a LCD screen stating Diamond priority check in. We waited behind other guests until we noticed there were three front desk agents on the far desk who were talking to themselves and not bothering clearing the queues.

We managed to check in, were told we were upgraded to a new club room in the new Tower on the 14th floor. There didn't appear to be any Diamond acknowledgement.

Room

We made out way to our room and the first thing that stikes you is the size. They are tiny. I expected 28-30 sqm, noting that the hotel still has no photos to match the room descriptions and their text desciptions are vary wildly such as 27-52 sqm within a single room type.

We were probably the first occupants of this room as they only were released the day prior.

The rooms are, of course, new and clean but nothing memorable. I was taller than the shower head, the bedside drawers are decoration and don't open and the lamp above the table is situated so that when you stand up you hit your head on it.

On the table was a letter describing Regency Club benefits with no personalisation just 'Dear guest.'

The bed was very comfortable and the TV has in built mirroring which saves you carrying an Apple TV but if I had to actually spend time in the room I would have gone crazy.

The hotel's size also means that rooms in the Tower are quite the walk.

The emergency map has indication of the location of your room.

And as we were showering this morning before breakfast the fire alarm sounded across the whole hotel and a minute later the fire brigade had arrived at our doorstep. Other than steam from the shower we have no possible clue what could have triggered this. Another member of staff said "We have been having fire alarm triggers in these new rooms.

15723537_10100167463994801_853071416764615724706_10100167463909971_645603458506415732396_10100167463904981_7891715768478

15675749_10100167463944901_8681434230515

15731899_10100167464034721_5199416797275

FullSizeRender 2.jpgIMG_7597.JPG

Dining

We deciced to check on the club lounge before heading off the PH SYD NYE rooftop party and the first impression is having a fire door as the grand entrance, quite bizarre!

The lounge is a decent size with sweeping views of Darling Harbour.

Despite this, not a single staff member greeted us as we arrived. You could esaily have brough up additional people and they would have no way of knowing what room you were in or how many guests you were allowed.

The offer wines, French sparkline wine, spirits and soft drinks. Remarkably it's all free pour and I witness another guest fill a tall glass with just Scotch. Hard to see how they will enforce Responsible Service of Alcohol. We had arrived at 5ish and by 6PM the lounge was full.

There were two hot items that weren't great, some sushi, and an antipasto and salad bar. I asked for a Soy Flat White and was told there was a coffee machine, however it only had standard milk in it. When I asked I was brough a little jug of Soy milk. Unliked the next morning when the attendant swapped out the standard and soy milk to make a proper coffee.

We had breakfast downstairs and after waiting 15 mins in the egg station queue we asked for Eggs Benedict and were told we had to order it from a waiter. We ordered from a waiter who told us we had to order from the egg station :s We asked another waiter who said it would be from the a la carte menu and we said that's fine. After 20 mins he returned to say the hotel had no gas because of the fire alarm so we would have to order from the egg station, meaning another 15 min wait.

For some reason the egg station has three chefs but only one is preparing for guests. As such the line becomes incredibly long.

Downstairs breakfast has a decent selection of hot items, fruits, juices and bakery. I was impressed with Watermelon juice being on offer as I generally have to ask for it.

Photos below are from the club where they had their own egg station and dedicated chef.

IMG_1233.JPGIMG_5250.JPGIMG_7852.JPGIMG_8528.JPG

IMO Darling Harbour is a tourist trap, however it is within walking distance of most of the city.

Service

Service is without doubt, terrible. When I rang to ask if there were Harbour view rooms as we were facing Sussex Street the club lounge manager told me she would call back and she never did.

When we entered the club lounge I asked again and was told there was no availability which is fine, but why not communciate that earlier?

In addition, this hotel has no club how to provide Guest of Honour. My Guest, a Diamond in their own right was afforded no upgrade or benefits until I rang the hotel prior to my arrival.

The service we experienced, mainly in the f&b areas displayed that the staff aren't working as a team and appear to just be stumbling along on their own. We witnessed lots of mix ups with coffee and food orders and staff not knowing how to handle any request when a guest asked.

To top it off they charged us for brekfast post stay.

Overall

Having stayed at this property as a FP I always know it wasn't going to be a 5 star experience, but never had a terrible stay. The fire brigade arriving early in the morning was the final straw.

If we has secured a suite perhaps it would have been better, but it's clear that this property isn't past the soft opening stage. Had I paid cash for the room I would have been livid. It's certainly not commanding of the $549 base room rate even for NYE.

Upon leaving the hotel there were around 50 people in the lobby checking in or out. This is going to be a problem at this property by the sheer number of rooms.

Overall it was a medicore stay in what will be a medicore hotel. Yes the refurb is clean and fresh but with laminated A4 pieces of paper aroud the hotel it really doesn't simply seem low rent. I would rate it as a three and a half star property. I've had better stays at the HR SSH that far excelled this stay. 

I know I have high standards, bu the main issue here is that the hotel isn't ready to be serving guests.

I would far recommend the SOTP or Hilton as full service hotels with decent club lounges or the Intercon for the most spectacular club lounge in SYD.

A mediocre stay in a mediocre hotel

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
A few updates from the hotel staff at a drinks event arranged on 1 Jan.

Hotel is still not fully open.
Only tower levels 11-15 open. Rest will open thru Jan taking capacity to 900.
Club rooms and suites in both the tower and older rooms.
Still hiring/training new staff to cater for the expansion (which probably explains some of the issues in the detailed review above) although a good number of former staff did transfer across.

The new lobby and lobby bar (separated by black rope netting, continuing the hotels nautical theme) is quite impressive
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:41 am

Not to self promote but I put my review of the property (my stay was last week) here: http://singleflyer.com/2016/12/28/hyatt-regency-sydney/

I stayed just before the club opened so had breakfast in the restaurant.

I found the staff to not be well trained.

I had an older room (non tower). Overall I agree with folks above; not a great stay but not bad.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moa999
A few updates from the hotel staff at a drinks event arranged on 1 Jan.

Hotel is still not fully open.
Only tower levels 11-15 open. Rest will open thru Jan taking capacity to 900.
Club rooms and suites in both the tower and older rooms.
Still hiring/training new staff to cater for the expansion (which probably explains some of the issues in the detailed review above) although a good number of former staff did transfer across.

The new lobby and lobby bar (separated by black rope netting, continuing the hotels nautical theme) is quite impressive
You mean the HFC function?

My Guest of Honour was one of the mods. Due to a screw up yesterday they promised her a suite today, and of course was denied that earlier.

She asked the club lounge staff to speak with the duty manager and they didn't bother contacting them, just like they didn't call me back. She had to go to the lobby to ask for the duty manager who managed to offer what was promised.

I refuse to make excuses for the hotel. I simply won't stay here again.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Not to self promote but I put my review of the property (my stay was last week) here: http://singleflyer.com/2016/12/28/hyatt-regency-sydney/

I stayed just before the club opened so had breakfast in the restaurant.

I found the staff to not be well trained.

I had an older room (non tower). Overall I agree with folks above; not a great stay but not bad.
Nice review. Lack of Diamond recognition is pathetic. Surely staff could be told "It's like SPG Platinum..."
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Nice reviews all - I know what to expect for my upcoming stay now... although I was able to use a DSU for a Suite so I'm hopeful the room will be better than the tiny standard rooms shown. It was a use it or lose it DSU and the PH in Sydney has the most ridiculous prices I've ever seen. Must be all businesses paying for that.

HR rates are low in January but start to get very high in February & March so I imagine everything will be open by then (if it isn't already).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

March is Mardi Gras. DSU will book into the Studio Suite.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by m0hamed
March is Mardi Gras. DSU will book into the Studio Suite.
In late Feb (during Mardi Gras) I was upgraded to the Regency Suite King with my DSU.

However, for my stay in January there is a Studio Suite available but not the Regency Suite King - and the phone rep would not put me in it. I'm in a Standard room for 2 of my 7 days (and in the Regency King Suite for the other 5).
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I just checked in today for my 3 night stay. Unlike others I didn't have any issues (so far). Got the harbour view club king and no issues with a 8am check in.

Lounge is open and looks quite nice. I'll post a full review tomorrow once I see the evening spread.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:44 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Great stay

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Great stay (12 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Sydney

Check In

I arrived around 9am to the hotel. It was a bit busy, but there was a dedicated diamond check-in counter. Even though it was so early, my room was ready and I got a Cub King Harbour View.  For those that have stayed here before, this used to be the Four Points up until Dec 2016 when it was rebranded to a Hyatt Regency. 

DSC_1309.JPG

DSC_1311.JPG

The hotel has been refreshed and the lobby and common areas are quite nice and bright. It feels "refreshing" and "airy" which brings up the atmosphere. 

DSC_1312.JPG

One of their bars/cafe has a ship theme to it.

Room

A was assigned a room with a view and one that was recently refurbished. The room was a bit on the smaller side, but it did make use of the layout. There was plenty of power outlets, which also had USB plugs so you can charge the phone without needing any power adapters, and plenty of lights.

DSC_1313.JPG

there was a mini-bar area with a hot water kettle and the usual offerings in a Hyatt Regency

DSC_1327.JPG

And the bathroom had the Pharmacopia bath products which are quite nice. There was a walk-in shower and once again, it was refreshed and has plenty of light. There wasn't any tub, though and given the space, I do not see how they could of placed it in there. but then again, it doesn't seem like tubs are used these days....

DSC_1315.JPG

As a diamond I received my 1,000 amenity points and I also received a bottle of wine.

IMG-20170116-WA0014.jpeg

(sorry for the photos not being rotated)

and a photo of the view. Yes, it's not the Park Hyatt with a view of the Opera House, but given that this hotel is 200ish USD/night vs the Park Hyatt which is usually over 1000 USD, and that Darling Harbour is quite close to everything (20min walk or so to the quay, plenty of ferries leaving outside the hotel, and plenty to see and do in Darling Harbour) and if I recall the Four Points was more expensive, I can't complain.

Club Lounge

Since I am a diamond member with Hyatt, I get lounge access. And given that the lounge has only been opened for a few weeks, I will try to provide a detailed review.

here is the letter I received explaining the club level

DSC_1319.JPG

The lounge is located on the 11th floor. Overall, the lounge is quite spacious. There are plenty of seating and also a conference room. 

DSC_1324.JPG

For breakfast, it's quite a good selection. There are fresh fruits, cold cuts and cheeses. There is also smoked fish. There are yoghurts and smoothies. Also, there is a selection of juices along with milk. There are cerals, and other grain choices.

DSC_1323.JPG

There are also hot choices. Bacon, potatoes, baked beans, and a rotating dish. In addition, there is a chef window where he can prepare eggs any way you like them. There are plenty of bread options and some sweets, too.

DSC_1322.JPG

For dinner, it is a similar setup. There are 2 red wines, 2 white wines, a sparkling wine, beers, and other spirits available. There are cheeses, cold cuts, fish, olives, and dips. There are also some hot and cold choices that rotate. for instance there was prosciutto wraps, tomato and mozerella salad, beed in a red wine sauce, gnocchi with pesto and butter, quiche with goat cheese and spinish, etc. So one could get quite full from the different options.

DSC_1355.JPG

Overall

Overall I am quite pleesed with the hotel. the location is excellent. the rooms are refreshed and the staff is great.

Great stay

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Nice review, thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Has any one stayed at the studio suite at the tower yet?

I have a 5 night booking coming up, only 4 nights were confirmed into a regency suite. However, wrote the hotel management and got offered a studio suite for all 5 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.