Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Sydney REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drnilescrane
a freestanding tub in the bathroom as a feature along with large windows in the bathroom

I finally found out it's above the 10th floor, which is crazy if 2/3 of the rooms don't have the most prominent advertised feature of the room.
Thats weird, I had a studio suite on the fifth floor a couple of years ago and my pictures of it show a bathtub. It was next to the sink. Did your room have a giant empty space there instead?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:30 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gravii
Thats weird, I had a studio suite on the fifth floor a couple of years ago and my pictures of it show a bathtub. It was next to the sink. Did your room have a giant empty space there instead?
Are there two of these room types? Former FP Maritime Studios and new Studio Suites?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:07 pm

No, the Studio Suites are in the new wing. They're slightly nicer but have no balcony. The Martime Studios are now called Balcony Suites.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:26 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
No, the Studio Suites are in the new wing. They're slightly nicer but have no balcony. The Martime Studios are now called Balcony Suites.
These were the old Maritime Studios.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:55 pm

Instead of the bathroom as pictured, imagine a wall right around where the towel rack was. The bathroom was a standard guest room layout and completely enclosed. In addition, every other piece of furniture was in the wrong place - the closet was where the bath is in this photo, not by the door, the bed faced south, not towards the harbor, and the desk was practically on top of the bed. One of the most awkwardly laid out rooms I've ever stayed in which is a shame because If it was laid out as it is on the website it probably would have been one of the better HR level suites I've stayed in, especially the bathroom. (At HR in the US I tend to get lots of old 1980s style parlor/standard bedroom connectors with 2 baths which I strongly dislike)

It clearly was messing up the housekeepers too - they kept moving the trash can in the bathroom back into a position that would prevent the bathroom door from closing (which swung, unlike the photo where it slides).

I've found from Lucky's review at OMAAT that 891 has the correct layout, and if you are saying that 591 has it too, then it might mean that 791 is just an odd one out in the stack? Maybe a failed attempt at an accessible room?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
These were the old Maritime Studios.
Yes, as stated these are now called Balcony Suites.

Originally Posted by drnilescrane
I've found from Lucky's review at OMAAT that 891 has the correct layout, and if you are saying that 591 has it too, then it might mean that 791 is just an odd one out in the stack? Maybe a failed attempt at an accessible room?
Very weird. This is my picture of 591. Were you missing the window as well?

Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:02 pm

Yes, as stated these are now called Balcony Suites.

Very weird. This is my picture of 591. Were you missing the window as well?

The closet that is meant to be next to the entry door was placed in front of it.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I've stayed in the balcony 'suites' probably four times and none of them have had a window in the bathroom. The bathrooms are behind the beds (running adjacent to the hallway) so there's nowhere for a window to be.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:06 pm

Yes sorry, the Balcony Suites don't have windows in the bathrooms, Studio Suites do.
It's probably a bit confusing but drnilescrane (and I) are talking about Studio Suites which are the newer suites in the new wing and have a completely different layout. m0hamed (and I) are talking about Balcony Suites and how they used to be called Maritine Studios.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I finally managed to spend a night here. Pretty sure it's my last one.

We arrived just after 3pm, and the lobby was a zoo. Tried to follow the advice someone gave a few pages back -- go to the club lounge on the 11th floor. Elevator requires a keycard, so no go. Asked a staff member who was standing around, and were told the club lounge doesn't provide check-in services, stand in the "elite" line (along with a dozen others). Finally get to the front, agent does a lot of typing, tells us our room isn't ready. App had showed a Harborview King with Club Access (which seems odd, considering that about a half dozen higher room types were showing online, but oh well, room isn't ready anyway). Given the option of waiting for "I'm not sure how long it'll take, the prior guest is a Globalist and has requested 4pm check-out, but we'll rush the room when it's vacant," we ended up settling for a Partial Harbor view room in the new building. To be fair, I've had much worse "partial" views over the years, even though this does have a lot of freeway and not much harbor. Most importantly, boy, those rooms are snug! The Hyatt website lists these rooms as 28-30sqm, but that must include a generous share of hallway. Bed is ok, bathroom incredibly tight, not much storage space. It really feels more like a moxy (minimalist Marriott cheapo brand) than a HR. We vastly preferred the room we had at HP Melbourne the night before.

Club lounge occupies a nice space, beautiful view (oh, if only our room had that!), well furnished, and happy hour food is very good compared to other HRs, although not outstanding by Australian standards (for some reason, Australia has some excellent lounges, e.g., GH Melbourne, Sheraton Sydney). Very crowded, and most people seemed to camp out the entire evening. Lounge breakfast also quite good, with an egg station, and the usual hot/cold lounge choices.

IME, Sydney rates fluctuate like crazy, and middling hotels can range from AUD150 to AUD400. I often see the HR at AUD300, and 20,000 points also is rather pricey (although slated to drop to 15,000). Our stay at the HR was on a low cost night, with standard rates around AUD200. I secured a BRG of AUD180, and with the 5,000 point BRG reward plus promo points, it wasn't a bad deal. Still, on the same night, we could have booked the Pier One (Marriott Autograph) for AUD175, Four Points Central Park for AUD145, Sheraton on the Park for AUD210 ... and TBH (with Marriott Amb status) any of these would be preferable to the HR. I don't think we'll be staying at HR again, unless it's half price of these alternative options. I'm adding it to my "avoid" list simply because the standard rooms are so dreadful, I don't want to risk getting stuck there again (same as Hyatt Centric HK, the old HR Fukuoka, etc).
ryandc99 and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:48 am
Original Poster

I'm afraid you're assessment is correct. I would take SOTP (I just can't say SGSHP after 20 years) anyway.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I'm afraid you're assessment is correct. I would take SOTP (I just can't say SGSHP after 20 years) anyway.

Yeah, I'll back that.

I stayed there once when it as 4PS years ago, and late last year on an award stay after a big night out in the CBD. Wasn't impressed.

I'll save my Hyatt points for use when I take the family to MEL @ The PH, thanks.

The Hilton is MUCH better value in SYD.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by shillard
Yeah, I'll back that.

I stayed there once when it as 4PS years ago, and late last year on an award stay after a big night out in the CBD. Wasn't impressed.

I'll save my Hyatt points for use when I take the family to MEL @ The PH, thanks.

The Hilton is MUCH better value in SYD.
Hilton or Sheraton on the Park? I've only been to the latter and it was excellent as many others have said.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
A woman is dead after she fell from the balcony of a hotel in central Sydney on Friday night, police say. Police and paramedics were called to the Hyatt Regency hotel on Sussex Street, near Darling Harbour, following reports a woman had fallen from a balcony on the building's 10th floor about 8pm. They found the woman's body on the level one rooftop. The woman is yet to be formally identified, however, police believe she is aged 45. A man, 48, who was known to the woman was arrested at the scene and taken to Day Street Police Station. He was later released pending further investigation. A police spokeswoman said the pair were believed to be "romantically linked". Police have set up a crime scene at the hotel for forensic examination as their inquiries continue.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...23-p54vps.html
Old May 22, 2020, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

How awful

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.