Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Keswick Hall, VA [can book with Hyatt points]

Old Nov 29, 16, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Hi all-

I recently moved to the area from Pittsburgh and Mrs. Distilled and I were looking around for a nice weekend destination. I found various recommendations on this board, and we decided to stay at Keswick Hall just outside Charlottesville, VA. Since the last mention of it that I could find was from several years ago, I decided to add an update from our stay. I thought long and hard about whether I should post in the "luxury hotels" forum or here, but decided to do it here since some people over there would probably not consider it worthy....

In any case, it was about a 2.5 hr drive from Annapolis, probably 2 hrs from Washington DC. We drove down on Thanksgiving day. Its in a beautiful area of the country, with lots of farms and vineyards near. When we arrived, there was no valet or bell, but I give them a pass for it since it was Thanksgiving day and there was probably not many people checking in. Check in process was nice, and the bell assisted with luggage.

The building was beautiful, smaller property with <50 rooms. I can't remember the specific room categories that they list, but we went with a nicer category, and had a large private outdoor balcony that overlooked the golf course. Was beautiful weather to sit outside and enjoy a bottle of wine that I had brought from our collection. The room itself was spacious, comfortable bed, but some of the hard product could use an update. Nothing bad, but had some stains in the carpet, etc.

Thanksgiving night we ate at the bar, had some decent wines by the glass, good beers on tap, and above average food. Service was excellent. The second night we ate at Fossett's, which is the main dining room. Really good wine list with some excellent value older wines. The service staff did seem to lack the "polish" that some people expect from top notch dining at top end hotels. I found the experience to be perfectly pleasant and I enjoyed every aspect of dining at the property.

There were plenty of facilities, my wife used the spa and although she is not normally a spa person, really enjoyed it. I did not bring the sticks, but the Pete Dye golf course looked excellent. The main pool was heated and people were using it, though we didn't. Large area with additional pools and games and such was closed, open Memorial Day through Labor Day and looked like a good spot for kids, if you have those. Some people were playing tennis at the courts.

Again, as a smaller property, we ran into the same staff multiple times, and everyone made an effort to ask if we needed anything and inquire about our stay. Staff was excellent.

In conclusion, we had a really nice stay. It was a beautiful property in a beautiful setting. I thought the price was at the top end of appropriate. I know there will be a premium for being a small property and having a nice room with a large balcony. However, I think that some of the other luxury hotels we have stayed at have offered more at roughly the same per night price. However, even as it is, we'll likely still go back occasionally, but probably not as frequently as we otherwise would.
Old May 4, 22, 3:08 pm

Anyone stay here recently post-renovation? I have a trip planned in a couple weeks, seemed like a good way to burn a Cat 7 certificate.
Old Jul 10, 22, 6:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, and Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by iluvdoco View Post
Anyone stay here recently post-renovation? I have a trip planned in a couple weeks, seemed like a good way to burn a Cat 7 certificate.
Yes, this past weekend. Flawless property.
Old Sep 13, 22, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fully2k View Post
Yes, this past weekend. Flawless property.
Did your book with Hyatt points? If so can you comment on the breakfast? In reading Google reviews most are positive however one said the complimentary breakfast was 3 pastries.
Old Sep 25, 22, 7:47 am

Stayed here for one night last weekend. Property was gorgeous, they did a great job with the renovations. No upgrade even though plenty of rooms were available on their site. Breakfast was abysmal - booking through Hyatt you get the $15 "continental breakfast" which is just a few mini pastries, coffee, and OJ (which I had to ask for). I wish they'd just give a $15 or even $10 credit so we can order anything off the menu.

For 25K or $1000+ a night, this is a pretty good deal. I can understand why they get over a thousand bucks a night. One of the few luxury "resorts" on the east coast, near wine region, inflation, high demand, etc. Will probably return next year as it's a nice place to relax for a night.

Search this Thread