Wiki Posts
Search

50 nights in Jan/Feb 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Post 50 nights in Jan/Feb 2017

Hi

Is it ok to check-in to a hotel for a 46 night stay, stay the first 2 nights then not be there for the nights in between, then return, stay the last night and check-out in person? Would all the nights be credited towards my account?

Thank you for your time and help!

out-of-pocket: $4k

return
1) currently have 7x on travel on my Citi prestige, so 4k x 7 = 28k TY points --> conservatively estimate that at $300
2) using the two certs with new status, with suite upgrade and breakfast at a top-tier PH --> conservatively estimate that at $350 per night x 2 nights = $700
3) earning on Hyatt points with Platinum status = roughly 22k points --> estimate that at $330 when used with Globalist status (suite)
4) BIG IF: stay more, play more promot = 75k points --> estimate that at $1100 when used with Globalist status (suite)
5) and of course the big attraction is suite upgrades, breakfast, globalist status on PH, Andaz stays for all of 2017 and 2018

Point 4 is a big. Happy to hear your feedback!

Last edited by LXflyer9; Nov 28, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by LXflyer9
Is it ok to check-in to a hotel for a 45 night stay, stay the first 2 nights then not be there for the nights in between, then return, stay the last night and check-out in person? Would all the nights be credited towards my account?
No-one here can answer this. It might work, it might not. If you talk to the property, it might help make it work, it might not.

Just out of curiosity, why are you so keen on WoH that you'd throw 42 fake nights towards getting Diamond>Globalist?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
2. Is it ok to check-in to a hotel for a 45 night stay, stay the first 2 nights then not be there for the nights in between, then return, stay the last night and check-out in person? Would all the nights be credited towards my account?
Originally Posted by shorthauldad

Just out of curiosity, why are you so keen on WoH that you'd throw 42 fake nights towards getting Diamond>Globalist?
This is the dumbest idea I've heard for the potential of 2 Cat 1-7 certs. The cost of the throw away nights makes this scheme ridiculous to even think about.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
This is the dumbest idea I've heard for the potential of 2 Cat 1-7 certs. The cost of the throw away nights makes this scheme ridiculous to even think about.
Are you shining a bad light on the obvious success of WoH in generating more nights from its customers then Gold Passport did?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:15 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
What happens when you get those category 7 certs and then come March 1st, they announce we're adding two more levels. You'll seriously get sc---ed from both ends.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 77W_12A
What happens when you get those category 7 certs and then come March 1st, they announce we're adding two more levels. You'll seriously get sc---ed from both ends.
Given how they worded this, I expect that the devaluation of the points and of such promotional awards is the next big shoe to drop with regard to Hyatt program customers.

The renaming game of the program is but an easily pierced veil.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CIT85
I edited my original post as actually the Cat 1-7 certs would not be the the reason I'm considering it. Here's the full picture as I see it and I'd be glad to hear your feedback:

return
1) currently have 7x on travel on my Citi prestige, so 4k x 7 = 28k TY points --> conservatively estimate that at $300
2) using the two certs with new status, with suite upgrade and breakfast at a top-tier PH --> conservatively estimate that at $350 per night x 2 nights = $700
3) earning on Hyatt points with Platinum status = roughly 22k points --> estimate that at $330 when used with Globalist status (suite)
4) BIG IF: stay more, play more promot = 75k points --> estimate that at $1100 when used with Globalist status (suite)
5) and of course the big attraction is suite upgrades, breakfast, globalist status on PH, Andaz stays for all of 2017 and 2018

Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:48 pm

I edited my original post as actually the Cat 1-7 certs would not be the the reason I'm considering it. Here's the full picture as I see it and I'd be glad to hear your feedback:

return

This plan is 100% GO. Maybe you can get the $4000 cost down to $3000?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....4) BIG IF: stay more, play more promot = 75k points --> estimate that at $1100 when used with Globalist status (suite).....
I thought that promo is ending in 2 days.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
I thought that promo is ending in 2 days.
The current promo is ending, but they have run this exact promo (25 nights = 75k points) many times in the past.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Hi

Is it ok to check-in to a hotel for a 46 night stay, stay the first 2 nights then not be there for the nights in between, then return, stay the last night and check-out in person? Would all the nights be credited towards my account?

Thank you for your time and help!
Also double check governing state law, if any, regarding stays over 30 nights. For example, some or all taxes may go away because it becomes a residency. OTOH, some properties may not allow long stays for the same reason. Again, it would depend on state and/or local law. The intended property would be the best source of information if you talk to the right person.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The current promo is ending, but they have run this exact promo (25 nights = 75k points) many times in the past.
Yeah... but your chances of another starting Jan 1st are practically zero.
And the certs expire rather quickly.

It's not a smart plan...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by RTW1
Yeah... but your chances of another starting Jan 1st are practically zero.
And the certs expire rather quickly.

It's not a smart plan...
^ As both a mileage run and mattress run veteran, I can unequivocally say that this plan is not a good one.

For mileage runs, I've only done it during triple EQM (several years ago) to get 1K status on a cheap weekend (<$250) transcon itinerary.

For mattress runs, I do a max of 3 or so nights/stays a year and they're for no more than $75/night all in AND in the last few years, always to places I don't mind spending some time.

Even going through your math, it's an expensive way to get status. Have you looked at other hotel chains? Seek out a status match/challenge elsewhere.

Doing more than a handful of mattress run nights negates any possible savings from achieving status.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
^ As both a mileage run and mattress run veteran, I can unequivocally say that this plan is not a good one.

For mileage runs, I've only done it during triple EQM (several years ago) to get 1K status on a cheap weekend (<$250) transcon itinerary.

For mattress runs, I do a max of 3 or so nights/stays a year and they're for no more than $75/night all in AND in the last few years, always to places I don't mind spending some time.

Even going through your math, it's an expensive way to get status. Have you looked at other hotel chains? Seek out a status match/challenge elsewhere.

Doing more than a handful of mattress run nights negates any possible savings from achieving status.
Ok, thank you for your advice! Given the out-of-pocket cost, the short-life of certs, the potential devaluation of points, etc. better not to do it. Thank you all again.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
Also double check governing state law, if any, regarding stays over 30 nights. For example, some or all taxes may go away because it becomes a residency. OTOH, some properties may not allow long stays for the same reason. Again, it would depend on state and/or local law. The intended property would be the best source of information if you talk to the right person.
No tax is a good plan although I have not found a location that doesn't charge it for one month or longer stays. I think there might be a thread for what states the no tax rules apply?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.