Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

31 DEC nights: counts towards 2016 or 2017?

Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold

My apologies for maybe starting a topic that is returning every year around this time.

The matter is this:

Dec 31st would be my 50est night, and therefore my re-qualifying night for Diamond. That is if the night counts toward 2016. So I emailed Gold Passport.
The GP rep replied: "I would like to inform you that the last night of Saturday, 31 December 2016 will count in the year 2017"

To double check I also called the Diamond line. Now this rep told me: "The night of Dec 31 will count towards 2016."

Confusing. Any thoughts, experiences?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by BIndair
My apologies for maybe starting a topic that is returning every year around this time.

The matter is this:

Dec 31st would be my 50est night, and therefore my re-qualifying night for Diamond. That is if the night counts toward 2016. So I emailed Gold Passport.
The GP rep replied: "I would like to inform you that the last night of Saturday, 31 December 2016 will count in the year 2017"

To double check I also called the Diamond line. Now this rep told me: "The night of Dec 31 will count towards 2016."

Confusing. Any thoughts, experiences?
In the past, 31 Dec (checkout 1 Jan) automatically counted for Jan, but could be manually counted for Dec upon request. This has also generally been the rule for promos that end at the end of a month.

Since it is an important threshold, I would get something in writing. You could PM the Concierge here on FT to confirm, and specifically ask if it can be credited to 2016, even if it has to be done manually.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For December 31st, it might matter exactly when (dates, not time of day) you check in and check out. There also could be a difference in the answer for nights credit versus stay credit, so be sure to phrase your question carefully and provide all details.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For December 31st, it might matter exactly when (dates, not time of day) you check in and check out. There also could be a difference in the answer for nights credit versus stay credit, so be sure to phrase your question carefully and provide all details.
Neither matter.

If you stay the night you can call and have it apply to 2016. This question gets asked every year.

You have to call. As the first reply suggested.

There's no real debate or confusion.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Neither matter.

If you stay the night you can call and have it apply to 2016. This question gets asked every year.

You have to call. As the first reply suggested.

There's no real debate or confusion.
If the exception isn't documented somewhere, I'd hesitate to assume that it will be available this year when the OP apparently needs the night credit in 2016 to requalify.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:59 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
I had a stay at the PH Zurich 30 Dec to 1 Jan and all nights counted toward 2016 status.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the exception isn't documented somewhere, I'd hesitate to assume that it will be available this year when the OP apparently needs the night credit in 2016 to requalify.
Totally agree. The new Hyatt is not the kinder, gentler Hyatt we knew and loved.

They should put this in the T&C.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:57 am

I have a different question. I will begin my stay using the free night certificate on Dec 31 and continuing the stay with a paid night Jan 1 and checking out Jan 2. Since my stay begins in 2016, but my paid night isn't until 2017, will that stay count for 2017? I'm going to assume yes. What does everyone think?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by ang2383
I have a different question. I will begin my stay using the free night certificate on Dec 31 and continuing the stay with a paid night Jan 1 and checking out Jan 2. Since my stay begins in 2016, but my paid night isn't until 2017, will that stay count for 2017? I'm going to assume yes. What does everyone think?
it shouldnt, but you might get lucky.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:08 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ang2383
I'm guessing you have 2 separate reservations: one for 31 Dec for 1 (free) night and another for 1 Jan for another (paid) night. The second will obviously count for 2017, and the only thing I could suggest is to visit the front desk some time on the 1st to "check out" of the 1st reservation and check in for the 2nd.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I stayed at the Andaz Savannah GA money-paid on Dec. 30/ 2015 & on my Chase Anniv. freebie on Dec. 31, checking out Jan. 1/ 2016. Somehow (did I get lucky?) I got 1 Stay credit & 2 Night Credits for 2016 !
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by skj
I'm guessing you have 2 separate reservations: one for 31 Dec for 1 (free) night and another for 1 Jan for another (paid) night. The second will obviously count for 2017, and the only thing I could suggest is to visit the front desk some time on the 1st to "check out" of the 1st reservation and check in for the 2nd.
Thanks! Good idea about checking out and checking back in. I will be up early for breakfast anyway so I will do just that so I can have peace of mind.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
In the past, 31 Dec (checkout 1 Jan) automatically counted for Jan, but could be manually counted for Dec upon request. This has also generally been the rule for promos that end at the end of a month.

Since it is an important threshold, I would get something in writing. You could PM the Concierge here on FT to confirm, and specifically ask if it can be credited to 2016, even if it has to be done manually.
Seems like it depends who you talk to. I received this response from the GP concierge regarding a Dec 31 night stay :

"I am sorry since you will be checking out in 2017 it will not count towards 2016 re-qualification."
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
Had a 7 night stay Starting the end of December and checked out Jan 2nd 2016, and had all 7 nights credit to 2016.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 11:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by WorldJumper
Had a 7 night stay Starting the end of December and checked out Jan 2nd 2016, and had all 7 nights credit to 2016.
I am pretty sure you are wrong on that one. Stays count based on the check out date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.