Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

31 DEC nights: counts towards 2016 or 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

31 DEC nights: counts towards 2016 or 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by joey965
I talked to someone on the Globalist line and she confirmed that if you checked out on January 1st then all the days will count towards 2018. She suggested having two reservations. Check out on December 31st and those days will count for 2017. Then have a second reservation for December 31st through January 2nd.
Cant do that because its part of Citi Prestige 4 nights deal so needs to be one reservation.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:38 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by asnovici
What about this scenario: checking in Dec 29, checking out Jan 2, total stay of 4 nights. How many nights will count towards 2017 qualification? 2 or 3 or 4 or none? Conflicting information on this thread regarding check out date and how it may affect what counts to what year.

Thanks
my experience on 2 occasions was all nights to the following year, once check-in on 30th and the other on 31st. but that was GP, not WOH. unsure if this has now changed?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I had a very nasty experience with Hyatt early 2017. I had a stay in late December, and ended up checking out before midnight. The system calculated my stay as one qualifying stay with zero qualifying nights or something bizarre which made it somehow think I was one unit short of requalification.

The bottom line is, if somehow the system decides that your night didn't count towards qualification, and it decides you didn't automatically qualify for Globalist when it runs the requalification calculations, you don't get your Suite upgrades. Hyatt has no ability whatsoever to fix this. You just lose your suite upgrades for the year.

For my suite upgrades this year, I have to call in to Hyatt, and they have to contact the hotel and ask them to make an 'exception' for me and guarantee me a suite as a free upgrade. Total PITA.

And even this arrangement took me hours and hours on the phone with phone reps and supervisors being snide and condescending and telling me that Hyatt made an exception for me and I didn't deserve suite upgrades because I hadn't earned them, and I should be grateful that someone did me a favor. I even had a supervisor tell me that if I checked in at noon and checked out at 11:59 pm, it was not a qualifying night, because I didn't sleep in the room overnight, but if I check in at 11:59 pm and check out at 12:01 am, then it was a qualifying night. It was in the rules but the rules were not visible anywhere because the replaced them with WOH rules that didn't have the same language. Complete fabrication. That is the level of stupidity and incompetence I had to deal with.

So tread carefully.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They will all count for 2018.... and last year I really had to fight to get night credit in the year of the stay. And with WOH I would expect even worse treatment now.

One of the reasons for me not to bother with requalification this year.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Thank you all for your input. This rule really sucks, now looking for an extra two nights mattress run this year.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
As for me, I have a trip from Dec 27th-Jan 1. I actually would prefer to check out Dec 31, but the nights mean nothing to me for this year, but will help me reach 60 next year. So I am counting on this stay for 2018.

As for asnovici's issue -- needing nights this year but can't split the stay because of the Citi promotion, I don't know the solution that works for you - I would have no problems finding a cheap 2 nights sometime between now and then to get what I needed for qualification. That could be difficult for you though.?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by asnovici
Thank you all for your input. This rule really sucks..
I not only think it sucks but that it's incredibly stupid. The T&C's only mention calendar year, if you then implement a system that awards night credit based on check-out date you should be fired.
But maybe that is what happened :-)
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RTW1
I not only think it sucks but that it's incredibly stupid. The T&C's only mention calendar year, if you then implement a system that awards night credit based on check-out date you should be fired.
But maybe that is what happened :-)
I agree completely.

For a program that only counts nights (WoH) and stays are irrelevant, and then considers a stay from Dec. 29-Jan. 2 to be 4 nights all in 2018 just lacks all logic. It should be 3 nights in 2017 and 1 nights in 2018.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
I agree completely.

For a program that only counts nights (WoH) and stays are irrelevant, and then considers a stay from Dec. 29-Jan. 2 to be 4 nights all in 2018 just lacks all logic. It should be 3 nights in 2017 and 1 nights in 2018.
That would make too much sense
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CIT85
I agree completely.

That's what I would think, but apparently all the advise here was accurate, WoH service center confirmed it would all count to 2018. Annoying and idiotic rule in my opinion.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I have a stay running from 28 Dec to 8 Jan with a cash booking for 28 & 29 Dec, followed by 2 all-points nights, then 4 P&C nights, and finally 3 cash nights, all on different res Nos.

Can I assume that the 2 cash nights on 29 & 29 Dec will definitely count for 2018?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If it's the same property I wouldn't count on it.... even though you have different rates the property is unlikely to check you out 4 times, the property or WOH will merge the stays.
Pretty standard to get one bill. Maybe change the points reservation to your wife or ask the property to do a checkout after those 2 nights if they are willing?

Whatever you do don't count on WOH to be helpful here if you need those 2017 nights.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 12:22 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Regardless of the number of reservations or if you check out and then check back in, these nights will (almost certainly) be combined into a single stay when it comes to WoH, and all count for 2018. That's been my experience on 3 different occasions this year and the only reason I used the word "almost" and wouldn't say "definitely" is we're talking about Hyatt IT here.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by skj
Regardless of the number of reservations or if you check out and then check back in, these nights will (almost certainly) be combined into a single stay when it comes to WoH, and all count for 2018. That's been my experience on 3 different occasions this year and the only reason I used the word "almost" and wouldn't say "definitely" is we're talking about Hyatt IT here.
In contrast, I had a back-to-back reservation (first on points+cash, then on cash) with two different bills, invoices, checkouts and my nights counted upon check-out each time (first night hit my balance the day of its checkout and the second nights check-in).

Really, I think it all comes down to the property -- whether they process a check-out or not after each reservation. In some sense, I dare to say it should be easy enough to ask them to bill/check you out either all at once or process your checkouts with each separate reservation, such that you get your nights credited how you want.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:17 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
In contrast, I had a back-to-back reservation (first on points+cash, then on cash) with two different bills, invoices, checkouts and my nights counted upon check-out each time (first night hit my balance the day of its checkout and the second nights check-in).

Really, I think it all comes down to the property -- whether they process a check-out or not after each reservation. In some sense, I dare to say it should be easy enough to ask them to bill/check you out either all at once or process your checkouts with each separate reservation, such that you get your nights credited how you want.
My experience was the opposite of yours. I had a similar situation, with back-to-back cash and P+C reservations. I checked out of one reservation using one credit card and switched to a different card for the second, so it was pretty clear there were 2 separate transactions on 2 different days. When the stay posted, it was a single stay for the total number of nights for both reservations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.