Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 30, 19, 9:38 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 47
Thats unfortunate that they are probably not going to allow points usage for booking room for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to book two nights in Feb next year. Kind of off topic but how "bad" is the hyatt regency in kyoto, or should book extra nights in conrad osaka and take train to do anything in kyoto.
cm007d is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 4:44 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,905
Originally Posted by cm007d View Post
Thats unfortunate that they are probably not going to allow points usage for booking room for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to book two nights in Feb next year. Kind of off topic but how "bad" is the hyatt regency in kyoto, or should book extra nights in conrad osaka and take train to do anything in kyoto.
You can book with points; you just can't do it online yet. See the prior few posts for examples of people booking with points.
richarddd is online now  
Old May 31, 19, 7:34 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
You can book with points; you just can't do it online yet. See the prior few posts for examples of people booking with points.
I booked 2 nights last night (5/30) around 11:30 PM EST with points on the website
Rp096 is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 9:55 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
You can book with points; you just can't do it online yet. See the prior few posts for examples of people booking with points.
Thank you for this i was able to book two nights in PH Kyoto over the phone. I don’t know if it was posted here but for others , it is 30k Hyatt points per night.
cm007d is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 10:16 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,905
Originally Posted by Rp096 View Post
I booked 2 nights last night (5/30) around 11:30 PM EST with points on the website
That's what I get for not checking again. Thanks for the update.
richarddd is online now  
Old May 31, 19, 11:45 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: LA
Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Posts: 49
Was going to book with points, but seeing how the price is ~$700 I think I will just pay cash. Now to decide between this and the Four Seasons.
Jerkstore is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 12:52 pm
  #67  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Posts: 4,515
Originally Posted by Jerkstore View Post
Was going to book with points, but seeing how the price is ~$700 I think I will just pay cash. Now to decide between this and the Four Seasons.
Does the ~$700 rate also include the 15% service charge and 10% occupancy tax. If not, then the total price would be almost $900.

Even at $700, I would consider 30k points to be a decent use, even when factoring in the loss of Privé/Virtuoso benefit of breakfast (material as I'm not a Globalist) and US$100 incidental credit
francophile is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 5:50 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,762
Originally Posted by francophile View Post
Does the ~$700 rate also include the 15% service charge and 10% occupancy tax. If not, then the total price would be almost $900.

Even at $700, I would consider 30k points to be a decent use, even when factoring in the loss of Privé/Virtuoso benefit of breakfast (material as I'm not a Globalist) and US$100 incidental credit
The 10% is consumption (sales) tax. There is also a Kyoto accommodations (occupancy) tax of 500 yen/night/person for a room rate of 20,000-49,999 yen/night/person or 1000 yen/night/person for a room rate of 50,000 yen or higher.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jun 1, 19 at 1:14 am
OsakaWino is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 11:31 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,762
The reason why there are so few luxury hotels in Kyoto is that prime locations are almost impossible to acquire, and building permits are even more difficult. Kyoto has very strict height locations.

It is true that up until about 10 years ago, foreign tourists were not very common in Kyoto, as was true for every part of Japan other than Tokyo. 10 years ago we would stay at HR Kyoto for under 20,000 yen, sometimes as low as 12,000 yen, including T&S.

It is also true that volume wise, the low-end market has grown, and continues to grow, much faster pace than the high-end market; tourists from China outnumber those from all Western countries combined by a factor of more than 10:1. The city gov has come to realize that the high-end market is more profitable and less intrusive and has been taking steps to try to attract, and accommodate, more higher spending visitors, but it is slow process that was only begun a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the 70 rooms at Park Hyatt Kyoto are not going to make much of a dent in pent up demand.

It is most certainly not true that the largest numbers of tourists are still school groups; that has not been the case for at least 7-8 years.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 6:04 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,868
And today I could book online for beginning of April (not possible yesterday)
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
blitzen is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:52 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, former DL DM
Posts: 1,946
Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
And today I could book online for beginning of April (not possible yesterday)
Thank you for bringing this thread back on topic.

May I suggest that future posts please remain related to the Park Hyatt Kyoto...
richarddd and Nagasaki Joe like this.
lamont2718 is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 8:58 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,921
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
Thank you for bringing this thread back on topic.

May I suggest that future posts please remain related to the Park Hyatt Kyoto...
If only posts relevant to an unopened hotel that has no pictures online were here, the thread would be one page
s0ssos is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:08 am
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,762
I've noticed numerous dates where the base room is available on revenue but not on points. I hope this this an aberration due to not having everything loaded yet and not some sort of "policy". For example, 07 Dec 2018 and 25 April 2019.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jun 2, 19 at 10:27 am
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 11:07 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tri State Area
Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Posts: 1,868
My booking was April (Sakura season) and I wanted 4 days but the first (Sun-Mon) was not available but the other 3 were (cash 185k yen a night .... crazy).
blitzen is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 1:06 pm
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boston, Jo'burg, HK
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Posts: 10,154
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
May I suggest that future posts please remain related to the Park Hyatt Kyoto...
Fair enough... Where did the rest of the thread go? Into the ether? How about moving it to the Luxury Hotel forum or to the Japan forum? It's an interesting discussion, and at the edges but still civil...
Pickles is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread