Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 8:38 pm

Thats unfortunate that they are probably not going to allow points usage for booking room for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to book two nights in Feb next year. Kind of off topic but how "bad" is the hyatt regency in kyoto, or should book extra nights in conrad osaka and take train to do anything in kyoto.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by cm007d
Thats unfortunate that they are probably not going to allow points usage for booking room for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to book two nights in Feb next year. Kind of off topic but how "bad" is the hyatt regency in kyoto, or should book extra nights in conrad osaka and take train to do anything in kyoto.
You can book with points; you just can't do it online yet. See the prior few posts for examples of people booking with points.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
You can book with points; you just can't do it online yet. See the prior few posts for examples of people booking with points.
I booked 2 nights last night (5/30) around 11:30 PM EST with points on the website
Old May 31, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
Thank you for this i was able to book two nights in PH Kyoto over the phone. I don’t know if it was posted here but for others , it is 30k Hyatt points per night.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Rp096
I booked 2 nights last night (5/30) around 11:30 PM EST with points on the website
That's what I get for not checking again. Thanks for the update.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Was going to book with points, but seeing how the price is ~$700 I think I will just pay cash. Now to decide between this and the Four Seasons.
Old May 31, 2019, 11:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Was going to book with points, but seeing how the price is ~$700 I think I will just pay cash. Now to decide between this and the Four Seasons.
Does the ~$700 rate also include the 15% service charge and 10% occupancy tax. If not, then the total price would be almost $900.

Even at $700, I would consider 30k points to be a decent use, even when factoring in the loss of Privé/Virtuoso benefit of breakfast (material as I'm not a Globalist) and US$100 incidental credit
Old May 31, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by francophile
Does the ~$700 rate also include the 15% service charge and 10% occupancy tax. If not, then the total price would be almost $900.

Even at $700, I would consider 30k points to be a decent use, even when factoring in the loss of Privé/Virtuoso benefit of breakfast (material as I'm not a Globalist) and US$100 incidental credit
The 10% is consumption (sales) tax. There is also a Kyoto accommodations (occupancy) tax of 500 yen/night/person for a room rate of 20,000-49,999 yen/night/person or 1000 yen/night/person for a room rate of 50,000 yen or higher.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jun 1, 2019 at 12:14 am
Old May 31, 2019, 10:31 pm

The reason why there are so few luxury hotels in Kyoto is that prime locations are almost impossible to acquire, and building permits are even more difficult. Kyoto has very strict height locations.

It is true that up until about 10 years ago, foreign tourists were not very common in Kyoto, as was true for every part of Japan other than Tokyo. 10 years ago we would stay at HR Kyoto for under 20,000 yen, sometimes as low as 12,000 yen, including T&S.

It is also true that volume wise, the low-end market has grown, and continues to grow, much faster pace than the high-end market; tourists from China outnumber those from all Western countries combined by a factor of more than 10:1. The city gov has come to realize that the high-end market is more profitable and less intrusive and has been taking steps to try to attract, and accommodate, more higher spending visitors, but it is slow process that was only begun a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the 70 rooms at Park Hyatt Kyoto are not going to make much of a dent in pent up demand.

It is most certainly not true that the largest numbers of tourists are still school groups; that has not been the case for at least 7-8 years.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
And today I could book online for beginning of April (not possible yesterday)
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by blitzen
And today I could book online for beginning of April (not possible yesterday)
Thank you for bringing this thread back on topic.

May I suggest that future posts please remain related to the Park Hyatt Kyoto...
richarddd and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
Thank you for bringing this thread back on topic.

May I suggest that future posts please remain related to the Park Hyatt Kyoto...
If only posts relevant to an unopened hotel that has no pictures online were here, the thread would be one page
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:08 am

I've noticed numerous dates where the base room is available on revenue but not on points. I hope this this an aberration due to not having everything loaded yet and not some sort of "policy". For example, 07 Dec 2018 and 25 April 2019.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jun 2, 2019 at 9:27 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
My booking was April (Sakura season) and I wanted 4 days but the first (Sun-Mon) was not available but the other 3 were (cash 185k yen a night .... crazy).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Fair enough... Where did the rest of the thread go? Into the ether? How about moving it to the Luxury Hotel forum or to the Japan forum? It's an interesting discussion, and at the edges but still civil...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.