Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Pickles
The likelihood of your train being delayed because of an earthquake (or somebody getting vaporized after jumping the tracks, or flooding, or whatever) is much lower than the plane being delayed because of weather or ATC or something else.
And all of these combined - in Japan - are still lower than the likelihood of you, for example, forgetting something and going back to the hotel to pick it up, or oversleeping, or there being a rocket attack from North Korea, or anything really. So I wouldn’t worry too much

[edit] sorry. except Kaiju. Don’t mess with kaiju.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Fight the real kaiju!

https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/res...ras-jellyfish/

It even looks like a mushroom cloud...
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:59 am

This is great! Thanks for this schedule and all the information.This is really helpful, very thankful for all the great replies.

We have already booked our flights in and out of Tokyo with points, so we are kind of locked in. Ill see if I can make some changes with ANA.

Had not thought about staying in Osaka. Might be a cool option.

Last edited by jlparkerart; Apr 19, 2021 at 7:35 am
Old Apr 19, 2021, 7:05 am

Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jlparkerart
We would be taking the train from Kyoto to Narita and are wondering if we should spend our last night in Kyoto then get up early and take the train on the 22nd. The train takes 4:30 or so to get to Narita. Do you all think it would be better to stay in the Tokyo area our last night? We will have already spent 4 nights in Tokyo at the beginning of our trip.
I have also done this on the day of the flight with no issues, changing train at Tokyo to the Narita Express, both of which were included in the Japan Rail pass. Just allow some time for the transfer in Tokyo (maybe 30 minutes, more if you want to pick up something for lunch at Tokyo) as from what I remember, the platforms were not close to each other,
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Just remember shinkanshen is still subject to delays, in the event of breakdown or accidents.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
Just remember shinkanshen is still subject to delays, in the event of breakdown or accidents.
Sure but it’s almost zero percent likelihood. I’ll bet on Kaiju before that if I’m hoping for a delay.
TravisMT81 and demue like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have heard that if heading back to tokyo to get the narita Express it might be easier to change at shinagawa station (the stop before tokyo station) as the distances between platforms may be less than at tokyo. I think there are details on the japan forum also.

Also if worried about kaiju you need a jager (Pacific rim movie reference)

Regards
tbs
jlparkerart likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Sure but it’s almost zero percent likelihood. I’ll bet on Kaiju before that if I’m hoping for a delay.
With so many trains running each day, I guess the probability of a delay on a specific train might be mathematically pretty close to zero, but actually delays are most certainly not impossible.

The shinkansen between Osaka and Tokyo is usually delayed several times each year due to snow, fortunately most of these delays are just 5-10 min. However, with climate change, heavy rains are a more frequent cause of delays and have even been shutting down the shinkansen for as long 1-2 days. And An earthquake that is not even severe enough to damage buildings can shut the the train lines down for anything from several hours to a full day for track inspection

And there are an increasing number of weird people that cause delays, sometimes it is just someone spotted on the tracks or someone prying open a door, but then there was the guy who set himself on fire in 2015 and the one who stabbed 3 people, killing one, in 2018, and the one that was killed on the tracks in 2018.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
With so many trains running each day, I guess the probability of a delay on a specific train might be mathematically pretty close to zero, but actually delays are most certainly not impossible.

The shinkansen between Osaka and Tokyo is usually delayed several times each year due to snow, fortunately most of these delays are just 5-10 min. However, with climate change, heavy rains are a more frequent cause of delays and have even been shutting down the shinkansen for as long 1-2 days. And An earthquake that is not even severe enough to damage buildings can shut the the train lines down for anything from several hours to a full day for track inspection

And there are an increasing number of weird people that cause delays, sometimes it is just someone spotted on the tracks or someone prying open a door, but then there was the guy who set himself on fire in 2015 and the one who stabbed 3 people, killing one, in 2018, and the one that was killed on the tracks in 2018.
Everything you say is absolutely true, but planning for eventualities like the occasional self-immolation, earthquake and the like seems just a little bit too much safety margin (like what happens if one makes the extra effort to stay one night in Tokyo to mitigate that, but then the elevator gets stuck and all this effort is wrecked). I guess I can’t argue with one’s risk tolerance … all I wanted to say was, in many years of using the Japanese rail network, it’s far more reliable than anything (and yes, there was a brief stoppage due to North Korean missile launches), but overall statistically, it remains less than a few minutes late per year - including stoppages due to earthquakes and kaiju - which is why my risk tolerance is high enough I’d spend the extra night in Kyoto just because it’s one of the best cities in the world. Something like that.
Skink and jlparkerart like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Although I do agree that it's reasonable to assume that Japanese trains will run on time, delays can happen. As a matter of fact, in my experience, most of my train delays have been on the NEX. For some reason, the complicated mating dance at Tokyo station plus the fact that it's an express train that is tightly schedule-woven in a busy corridor where most trains make many stops means that the margin of error there is not very high.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
In light of the latest state of emergency, Park Hyatt Kyoto will once again be suspending operations, this time from April 25th until the end of May.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I'd make sure to have enough margin such that 1-2 trains behind won't cause you to miss your flight. It's not a trivial chance for sure. There's also the more traditional suicide by train, track jumpers. IME, an almost perfect 1 train delay that I took an earlier train that arrived at the exact time at my original train and lost my reserved seat.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:03 am

Is there an event going on in the second week of April 2022? I see some dates already have award availability at 30k/night, but most of the second week is blocked off.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Is there an event going on in the second week of April 2022? I see some dates already have award availability at 30k/night, but most of the second week is blocked off.
Hi,

Maybe blocking rooms for the sakura (cherry blossom) season?

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Apr 27, 2021 at 7:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.