Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 5, 20, 4:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
You do realize that Dave Barry's Japan book was written based on his visit in 1991? That was also a time when cigarette commercials still graced the television airwaves.

We're two eras removed from Showa. Times and norms change (though perhaps Pickles does not)
Have you been to a sento or onsen recently? I think you need to go and look for yourself, not once or twice but many times. I can attest that little has changed in this respect since 1974, though the number of mixed bathing establishments has decreased.
Old Jan 5, 20, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
Have you been to a sento or onsen recently? I think you need to go and look for yourself, not once or twice but many times. I can attest that little has changed in this respect since 1974, though the number of mixed bathing establishments has decreased.
Again, I'm talking about international luxury hotels, not sentos.

We're going around in circles here, so this is my last post on the subject. Feel free to have the last word that you seem to be craving.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Back to PH Kyoto...

I've noticed for a few dates that I've checked recently that a base King Bed room is available at the Advance Purchase Rate, but not at the Standard Rate, and thus not available on points. Seems like a bit of maneuvering.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Back to PH Kyoto...

I've noticed for a few dates that I've checked recently that a base King Bed room is available at the Advance Purchase Rate, but not at the Standard Rate, and thus not available on points. Seems like a bit of maneuvering.
Not sure that's necessary. A base King Bed was available at the Standard Rate over the NYE period, yet it still wasn't available on points.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Again, I'm talking about international luxury hotels, not sentos.

We're going around in circles here, so this is my last post on the subject. Feel free to have the last word that you seem to be craving.
To be fair, I don't recall women attendants at the spa and changing rooms of the GH Tokyo, the PH Tokyo, or the Andaz Tokyo. But I do recall seeing them at Gora Kadan and Asaba ryokans, which although not "Western chains" do have a fair bit of foreign guests. Not to mention onsens and sentos up and down the land, as recently as... 3 weeks ago. It is also extremely common to see women cleaners and attendants in men's public bathrooms all over the place, including fully "Western" areas such as Marunouchi. I even recall that at the public restroom in the lobby (behind the cigar shop) of the GH Tokyo, so there.

I don't know what kind of bubble life hailstorm and OsakaWino lead, but believing that somehow this is a dying retrograde practice is just digging a hole, as evidenced by the finer and finer contortions required so they don't yield an inch: "I'm talking about Western hotel chains, that should be obvious", "Dave Barry wrote his book in 1991", etc. Give it up, fellas, it's not a good look.

Anyway, back to the hotel at hand, it is possible that the PH Kyoto has female attendants in the male onsen area because it's short-staffed. It could also well be because it's very common to run an onsen that way. For all we know, they're just running things the way they've been done in the land for centuries, not considering that Western visitors may be just shocked, shocked and horrified at such a practice. The staffing decision at the onsen may have been made by a facilities manager independently and without the knowledge of the Western GM, and the manager just did what he saw elsewhere in his experience. Or (in a very Japanese twist) assume that Westerners don't like onsen, so you won't be seeing them there, problem solved.

If you really want to register your displeasure, next time you see this happening, just blow your nose in the tenugui, that should ahem, clear things up. But from the descriptions here, it seems to be more of a glorified bathtub than a proper onsen, so I'll probably give it a pass if I ever stay there. I'll head up to Kurama instead and use the onsen up there, which is great, even if women clean the men's changing rooms.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
it is possible that the PH Kyoto has female attendants in the male onsen area because it's short-staffed. It could also well be because it's very common to run an onsen that way.
PH Kyoto is not an onsen. And no one was talking about women cleaners in restrooms. Sending 20-something non-dedicated female staff into male changing rooms is not standard practice. >50 yr old women are a different matter.

Having young female staff at PH Kyoto scream and run out of the male changing room upon finding a male guest wrapped in a towel is not a good sign for how well the spa bath is being managed.

I consider it irrelevant, but I would estimate that I have visited public Japanese-style (a large bath to accommodate multiple users and stool-type individual washing areas) facilities ( including sento, gym facilities, ryokan, onsen hotels, and western style hotels with public baths) at least 4,000 times, and I can recall only 3 occasions where there were young female attendants exposed to male nudity. In most cases we Japanese find this embarrassing (I'm not quite sure why we find the >50 yr old women as ignorable as wallpaper, but that is different), on an escalating scale of sento<onsen< ryokan<hotel.

And I do not need a humor columnist to tell me my country's culture.
hailstorm, invalyd and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jan 5, 20 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 5, 20, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Having young female staff at PH Kyoto scream and run out of the male changing room upon finding a male guest wrapped in a towel is not a good sign for how well the spa bath is being managed.
Agreed, this does sound like it wasn't part of the SOP. And yes, most of the women roaming men's changing rooms, public bathrooms, and onsen areas are older. I've seen young ones also, but that's not as common.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This particular bath does not get much foot traffic. I imagine it wouldn't cost much to set up some motion detection sensor (like I've seen in bathroom stalls to control the lights) to inform the staff when the facilities are not in use, should they wish to continue such thrifty policies without impacting the customer experience.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
are you guys overthinking this? Maybe they are just lack of staff for that floor...
When I visited I encountered the same problem, a female staff walked in while I was changing (T_T)
But I thought this is a problem bc of lack of staff because there were no one checking my room number when I entered the gym/bathhouse area. (Unlike HR Tokyo/ PH Tokyo/ Conrad Tokyo)
And I really think there was numbers of non-staying people have entered and used the bath from just following guests into the floor in the elevator. (maybe I'm paranoid)
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I made a point reservation for two people, which I'd already heard from the hotel does not get the breakfast that comes with the standard rate. Separately, I asked if there was a way to stay with three people, and the rooms manager offered an upgrade to a King Deluxe for the difference in price between the standard rate, plus an additional fee for the third person.
If you decide to do this, make sure to check your account afterward. My upgrade fee did not get credited as Qualifying Spend, so I'm having to follow up on that.
Old Jan 6, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Wow.. rates during the Olympics are at 200,000 YEN. Booked 3 nights with points and used a DSU.
Now, I just need to find some hotel that opens up in Tokyo.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
If you decide to do this, make sure to check your account afterward. My upgrade fee did not get credited as Qualifying Spend, so I'm having to follow up on that.
Same here. My concierge took care of it quickly. Remember that your eligible spend includes the 15% service fee on top of the quoted upgrade rate.
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:33 am

Does online check-in accomplish anything useful at this hotel?

ETA: check-in was quick and painless. That's an advantage of arriving late.

The room is very pretty. It could use more power sockets.

Last edited by richarddd; Jan 9, 20 at 5:15 am
Old Jan 9, 20, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
motion detection sensor (like I've seen in bathroom stalls to control the lights) to inform the staff when the facilities are not in use
Or the staff could simply announce their presence before entering, if such a thing bothered them.
Old Jan 9, 20, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Had a two night stay as a Globalist over NYE. Notes:

- absolutely stunning property in a perfect location;
- upgraded (slightly) on a points stay to garden terrace room;
- was a bit concerned about the reviews here and on TA regarding service, but nearly all interactions with employees were flawless;
- housekeeping was excellent;
- LeLabo Santal amenities were very nice;
- complimentary evening champagne/wine and then soba noodles on NYE were very well-received;
- had a nice conversation with GM Mark L;
- Japanese breakfast on NYD was phenomenal
- Western breakfast a bit chaotic but to be expected on busy holiday;
- Teppenyaki restaurant Yasaka was one of the best meals of my life (though we admittedly do not often dine at Michelin-star quality restaurants);
- denied 4pm Globalist checkout, offered 1pm, settled on 2pm
- check-in/out process were both very smooth and efficient;
luvFclass likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: