FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1801359-park-hyatt-kyoto-review-master-thread.html)

skj May 16, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by wffls (Post 31107606)

I have heard really good things about HR Kyoto. Why does it seem like a bad use of points?

You may have better luck getting an answer here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...er-thread.html

Red259 May 16, 2019 2:30 pm

I have heard really good things about HR Kyoto. Why does it seem like a bad use of points?

No idea. I have stayed there on points. Get like a 2.2 cent return per point. I liked the property. Only thing I can think is that some people might feel that the room rate is too high for what you get.

RichardInSF May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31065679)
Mark de Leeuwerk has been named the GM here. Promoted from the hotel manager spot at PH Tokyo.

Had a big service failure under his watch in Tokyo and not thrilled to see him at Kyoto.

Sorry about your experience. All my interactions with him went very smoothly, no problems at all.

cm007d May 19, 2019 9:02 am

I was just looking at price of hotel with cash is about 320 USD while using points is 25k, so not sure I would use points in that situation maybe cash or at worst use CSP 1.25 CPP redemption. Am I doing it wrong thinking of it in those terms?

Nagasaki Joe May 20, 2019 7:12 pm

I stayed here two nights on FNAs about two years ago. At 25,000 points per night, it doesn't measure up to other 25,000-point properties that I've stayed at. When the PH opens, I think the HR Kyoto should be downgraded to 20,000 points per night. The rooms are of adequate size, but aging and not well appointed. The spa is small and second-rate. It is not a luxury property, but a fading Hyatt property in Kyoto that was probably considered a 5-star property by Japanese tourists until the RC Kyoto and FS Kyoto appeared on the scene. The Grill restaurant in the lobby area has a nice view of a stone garden below, is good, and the prices are reasonable. I sometimes have lunch there when I'm in Kyoto. The truth is there is not a huge demand for luxury hotels in Kyoto because it is a major tourist city in a country where most of the tourists are Japanese who travel in large groups and are accommodated at a relatively low price in hotels and Ryokan that cater to these groups. I would say that foreigners are driving the slowly expanding luxury market, but Japanese (especially student and company groups) are still the largest tourist segment. Low demand is probably why the Park Hyatt Kyoto has so few rooms, but it will be a welcome addition to the luxury segment.

Neric May 29, 2019 8:32 am

Major update to the web site.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ja...tt-kyoto/itmph

You can now see what type or rooms / restaurants / etc, still no info on booking anything yet.

Pickles May 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe (Post 31121672)
The truth is there is not a huge demand for luxury hotels in Kyoto because it is a major tourist city in a country where most of the tourists are Japanese who travel in large groups and are accommodated at a relatively low price in hotels and Ryokan that cater to these groups. I would say that foreigners are driving the slowly expanding luxury market, but Japanese (especially student and company groups) are still the largest tourist segment. Low demand is probably why the Park Hyatt Kyoto has so few rooms, but it will be a welcome addition to the luxury segment.

Yep. Demand for luxury hotels in Kyoto is very low. That's why the HR Kyoto can get away with charging $300 a night in low season, and $600 a night in high season, and why the few luxury hotels in Tokyo all can charge $1,000 a night without batting an eye. Must be the low demand.

Darzab May 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Booking is now available on the website for dates starting December 1st 2019.

I checked for award availability on a few random dates but didn't find any. Seems like revenue rates currently have a floor in the ¥70,000s.

blitzen May 30, 2019 9:22 am

Checked for next March/April with rates of 185k a night and 30k points > but nothing available for points :(

59Impala May 30, 2019 10:02 am

I sort of remember having read, that point redemptions are usually not available before the hotel as actually opened.
Cannot find this in the T&C, but maybe that is the case?
It certainly applies to TSU and Club Awards.

tigerwong May 30, 2019 11:29 am

Just booked 3 nights (12/28-12/31) with points and applied a TSU for the Park Suite. I got the “change” confirmation but Globalist line said I should call back later to confirm the suite upgrade was applied properly. Really looking forward to my stay. Hopefully not too many opening month growing pains.

Neric May 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I booked 4 nights 24-28 on points this morning via phone. Took a while, was told not everything loaded. I am not yet globalist so no upgrades to suite. Looking forward to our trip. It ends with nye at Andaz..

richarddd May 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Booked for cash, then points for a suite upgrade. It took about 45 minutes on the phone.

59Impala May 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by tigerwong (Post 31154022)
Just booked 3 nights (12/28-12/31) with points and applied a TSU for the Park Suite. I got the “change” confirmation but Globalist line said I should call back later to confirm the suite upgrade was applied properly. Really looking forward to my stay. Hopefully not too many opening month growing pains.

well that is great! and intetesting, as the t&c state differentky. main thing you got the TSU applied!

antonius66 May 30, 2019 5:44 pm

$1530 a night for the nights I am looking at next year. Called my PL rep and she booked on points for me. All out of DSU , but oh well. Super excited to stay here. I will say that it better be the most impressive thing ever at those prices because that would make it the most expensive hotel in the entire chain, or at least consistently the top 3. I stayed at a top end ryokan in Japan with a full kaiseki dinner for 2 and breakfast with in house private onsen out back and it was still only like 1100 a night.