Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 23, 19, 7:55 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I think there was already some discussion on this earlier in the thread. In the absence of stellar reviews, I generally avoid luxury properties for at least 1 year after opening. I broke this rule for Conrad Osaka and greatly regretted it. For limited service I'd say ~3mos but even then I find staff often quite green after that time range.

My only significant complaint about PH Kyoto re: service was the slow concierge response time. For a property open only about a month at the time of my stay, I was quite content with that. Many others in this thread have reported issues that are directly related to opening problems, however.
It seems they prioritize in-house guests and respond quicker to them?
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:54 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
It seems they prioritize in-house guests and respond quicker to them?
I hope so and they should, but a 4-5 day response time in the days just prior to arrival isn't acceptable. Even one e-mail I sent maybe 3-4 days prior to arrival was not responded to until after I arrived on property.
Old Dec 23, 19, 9:05 pm

I generally avoid luxury properties for at least 1 year after opening. I broke this rule for Conrad Osaka and greatly regretted it. For limited service I'd say ~3mos but even then I find staff often quite green after that time range.

I'm surprised this is happening to a PH in Kyoto. I'd have expected that if there's any place in the world spared from the teething, it would be in Japan.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post

I'm surprised this is happening to a PH in Kyoto. I'd have expected that if there's any place in the world spared from the teething, it would be in Japan.
Happens everywhere. In Japan, it's even more noticeable with the service expectations we have come to expect.
Old Dec 23, 19, 11:56 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
If they're having staff shortages (and especially shortage of staff experienced in working in Western-oriented hospitality outlets) then opening issues will be far more obvious/apparent in Japan.
Old Dec 24, 19, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
If they're having staff shortages (and especially shortage of staff experienced in working in Western-oriented hospitality outlets) then opening issues will be far more obvious/apparent in Japan.
Probably a good time to be a hotel worker in Japan. So many new hotels are rushing to open to accommodate rapidly increasing tourism and next year's Olympics.
Old Dec 24, 19, 1:44 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC

Haha, if only it were true. I've read lots of reviews online written by Japanese guests at new Japanese hotels just after opening, and so many of them bring up the teething issue and said they expect service to improve as staff gains experience. A universal issue.
Old Dec 24, 19, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
We are here now. Check in wasn't too bad, I had checked in online so our room was ready.

Waiting in our room, stollen.

I'll write more after a few days.
Voda_boy likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Neric View Post
Waiting in our room, stollen.
Ah man, can't believe I missed that. Was it made by the in-house team?
Old Dec 25, 19, 6:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
Ah man, can't believe I missed that. Was it made by the in-house team?
I suspect, I did not request it, there was a letter welcoming us from what I assume is the general manager.

This morning I tried the Japanese Breakfast and I highly recommend it for those that are into this kind of food, my wife prefers the western breakfast.

We have dinner reservations at Kyoyamato tomorrow night, this breakfast comes from the same place. I hope to try the bar out later tonight. The issues others have reported have not been an issue for us thus far. So perhaps the service is improving.
Old Dec 27, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have the email of the general manager?
I just checked in here today and the check-in staff was super cold, then I got assigned a room where the other room can literally see into my room and the garden I have access to, it feels really weird that we can see each other's room with sheers down.
Old Dec 27, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by xmzzn123 View Post
Does anyone have the email of the general manager?
I just checked in here today and the check-in staff was super cold, then I got assigned a room where the other room can literally see into my room and the garden I have access to, it feels really weird that we can see each other's room with sheers down.
You can figure out his name / email with about 6 seconds of using Google. A 'super cold' check in seems like an awfully petty issue to bring to a GM though. It is winter in Japan, after all.
Old Dec 27, 19, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
You can figure out his name / email with about 6 seconds of using Google. A 'super cold' check in seems like an awfully petty issue to bring to a GM though. It is winter in Japan, after all.
it's less about the staff, more about the privacy concerns. I can literally see my neighbor sleeping on the day bed from my room.
I did googled him at can't find it, please don't assume everyone who asks questions here did not do research first.
Old Dec 27, 19, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
A 'super cold' check in seems like an awfully petty issue to bring to a GM though. It is winter in Japan, after all.
I hope they'll have the heater working when we arrive.
Old Dec 27, 19, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
I hope they'll have the heater working when we arrive.
It is working! I just meant the staff was not friendly and far from personable and her attitude was probably fine if this is a business hotel, but this is a five star hotel in japan.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: