Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 17, 19, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Did you end up staying in the Higashiyama suite? How was it?
Sure did just uploaded it to YouTube. It was nice the best part was the champagne and the big tub view was ok. Better if you get the 3rd floor suite vs my 2ed floor suite.

richarddd and solewalker like this.
Old Dec 22, 19, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Just noted that the Standard Rate description no longer includes breakfast included.
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Booked here for 2 nights in Nov. Now that a number of people have stayed at the property, does anyone have an opinion on what might be worth a paid upgrade on an award booking? It's been documented that they basically just charge the difference in rate so I'm considering the 5000 yen for the garden terrace or the 25000 yen for the deluxe. I'm thinking upgrading probably gets rid of the possibility of an ADA room as well?
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:56 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Booked here for 2 nights in Nov. Now that a number of people have stayed at the property, does anyone have an opinion on what might be worth a paid upgrade on an award booking? It's been documented that they basically just charge the difference in rate so I'm considering the 5000 yen for the garden terrace or the 25000 yen for the deluxe. I'm thinking upgrading probably gets rid of the possibility of an ADA room as well?
My impression after a 1 night stay is that due to the irregular shape and layout of the property there is a great variation in room shapes, views and internal configurations even within categories. This sort of equates in my mind to the Park Hyatt Paris which was stitched together from a bunch of townhouses and has great variations in rooms. At the PHP I have taken voluntary downgrades to a room that although smaller was just more nicely laid out. If it were me I”d only consider paying extra after actually getting there and looking at my options in person.

Last edited by schriste; Dec 23, 19 at 6:58 am
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:25 am

We're scheduled to stay in about two weeks. Yesterday I got an email from the hotel asking what time we would arrive and about our preferences. I replied later in the day, including asking them to make a reservation at a Kyoto temple we wanted to see. They responded this morning (unfortunately, it seems the temple wants more than two weeks notice). I also asked for something to show taxi drivers to make sure they drove us to the right place. They sent what looks like a Japanese Google maps screenshot.

This seems more responsive than others have reported.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:52 am

I spent two nights this past weekend in the base room. I was happy with it and wouldn’t pay for an upgrade although my room was a corner room with windows on two sides and on the 7th (highest) floor. Concierge was very responsive so I suspect a lot of the problems reported earlier might be ironed out?
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:20 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vprp View Post
I spent two nights this past weekend in the base room. I was happy with it and wouldn’t pay for an upgrade although my room was a corner room with windows on two sides and on the 7th (highest) floor. Concierge was very responsive so I suspect a lot of the problems reported earlier might be ironed out?
It's going to be a process.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
It's going to be a process.
Generally speaking, how long's this process for brand new hotels?
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
6 months to 1 year? New properties always have teething issues.
Visconti likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:02 pm

Reading a number of Japanese reviews, the consistent theme appears to be great property (nice rooms, nice Japanese breakfast) but lacking in any service, particularly the famed Japanese “omotenashi” service. Surely a hotel of the caliber of PH wouldn’t overlook such an important factor?
Old Dec 23, 19, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Voda_boy View Post
Reading a number of Japanese reviews, the consistent theme appears to be great property (nice rooms, nice Japanese breakfast) but lacking in any service, particularly the famed Japanese “omotenashi” service. Surely a hotel of the caliber of PH wouldn’t overlook such an important factor?
I think they just hired warm bodies and that was it.
Old Dec 23, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I spent two nights this past weekend in the base room. I was happy with it and wouldn’t pay for an upgrade although my room was a corner room with windows on two sides and on the 7th (highest) floor
Are you sure it was a base room? That descriptions matches the photos of the View Twin.
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Are you sure it was a base room? That descriptions matches the photos of the View Twin.
Not 100% sure. I stayed on a points booking and there was no mention of an upgrade during check in so I assumed I was in the base room. Could be wrong. Also, was a bit too quick to state that service issues were ironed out. Before my stay, I had read on here that the concierge would take on average 4 days to respond. My experience from this past weekend is the concierge would respond within 1-2 hours during the day and the next morning for any communication sent at night.

What others mentioned earlier re: great property vs. OK service still rings true. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto last year and what I think really differentiated the RC is the personalized service. Also enjoyed some of their free activities like their early morning bike ride and tour of Fushimi Inari. You could borrow bicycles from the hotel and its location in front of the river made it very convenient for seeing parts of Kyoto on bike. Didn't experience any personalized service at the Park Hyatt. Despite that, I would still stay at the hotel again as the property is very nice and the location has some pros.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:11 pm

Not 100% sure. I stayed on a points booking and there was no mention of an upgrade during check in so I assumed I was in the base room. Could be wrong. Also, was a bit too quick to state that service issues were ironed out. Before my stay, I had read on here that the concierge would take on average 4 days to respond. My experience from this past weekend is the concierge would respond within 1-2 hours during the day and the next morning for any communication sent at night.

What others mentioned earlier re: great property vs. OK service still rings true. I stayed at the Ritz Carlton Kyoto last year and what I think really differentiated the RC is the personalized service. Also enjoyed some of their free activities like their early morning bike ride and tour of Fushimi Inari. You could borrow bicycles from the hotel and its location in front of the river made it very convenient for seeing parts of Kyoto on bike. Didn't experience any personalized service at the Park Hyatt. Despite that, I would still stay at the hotel again as the property is very nice and the location has some pros.
These both take time. I stayed at the RC when it first opened and the staff were kind of aloof and very fresh. The hotel also didn't have any free activities like a guided Fushimi inari tour for us to do.
Old Dec 23, 19, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
I think there was already some discussion on this earlier in the thread. In the absence of stellar reviews, I generally avoid luxury properties for at least 1 year after opening. I broke this rule for Conrad Osaka and greatly regretted it. For limited service I'd say ~3mos but even then I find staff often quite green after that time range.

My only significant complaint about PH Kyoto re: service was the slow concierge response time. For a property open only about a month at the time of my stay, I was quite content with that. Many others in this thread have reported issues that are directly related to opening problems, however.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: