Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 9, 19, 7:33 am

Yeah, that room does look pretty nice! Hope I get something like that.
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
What kind of room type is this? It looks perfect to me. I would love to stay in one of them.

Thanks.

BTW, does anyone have stayed at both RC and PH? Which one is the better overall?

(I absolutely loved my stay at RC Kyoto, best RC ever to me.)
I think this is King bed View. This is on the 7th floor.
It was either this or the corner room (I believe King bed view Deluxue) on 6th floor which was the original room assigned to me but I had to wait an extra hour for it to be ready even though I checked in at 4pm.
Also the terrace room on 3rd floor was available. Standard suites were not available.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VoiD View Post
I think this is King bed View. This is on the 7th floor.
It was either this or the corner room (I believe King bed view Deluxue) on 6th floor which was the original room assigned to me but I had to wait an extra hour for it to be ready even though I checked in at 4pm.
Also the terrace room on 3rd floor was available. Standard suites were not available.
Must have been occupied by a fellow Globalist with 4pm Checkout. Of course this late checkout benefit results in serious delays of availability for the desirable rooms. Looks beautiful, I don't think I'd even need a Suite with that view room. The only reason why I usually insist in a suite is because I want a couch in my room to sit down.
Old Dec 9, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
That is a King View, the 45 m2 Deluxe and View Deluxe have 2 chairs + sofa and the sofa is against the wall, while the smaller (45 m2) rooms have 1 chair + sofa and the sofa is against the window. The sofa is actually more like a bench than a typical sofa. The call it a daybed; it is like a tatami platform with a very thin futon on it.
Old Dec 9, 19, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
BTW, does anyone have stayed at both RC and PH? Which one is the better overall?

(I absolutely loved my stay at RC Kyoto, best RC ever to me.)
I have a stay next weekend. Stayed at the RC and it was my best RC experience as well so can report back in 2 weeks.
Old Dec 9, 19, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Plat
I am also staying here now. Spent the night and will be leaving today. I came to Japan to ride a bunch of branch line railways scattered around the country that are threatened with possible closure. My wife had no interest in that, so I am here by myself... which I think colors my perspective. For example I’d probably enjoy wondering around all the tourist shops in this touristy neighborhood far more if my wife were here.

As for the hotel, I am thoroughly enjoying my stay and appreciate all the fine attention to detail and craftsmanship that went into this hotel. It is a nice break from my railway adventures. But like many high end Ryokans I have stayed in, even though I totally enjoyed them, once might be enough for the PHK. Note that I could spend two weeks every year for the rest of my life in a Park Suite at the PH Tokyo.

As I briefly mentioned in a previous post I had no issue checking in at 2:30pm. So far a very relaxing stay and I slept very well last night on the firm yet comfortable bed. Some nice touches in the room include the portable Bose Bluetooth speaker, motorized sheers and blackout curtain, and sliding glass door with screen to my "little garden". Very peaceful and tranquil. The yukata and slippers even match.

There are unfortunately a few things that have annoyed me too. First, all of this wood everywhere (even the ceiling) and also out in the corridors is beautiful to look at, but it is also an acoustic problem. I could clearly here “housekeeping, housekeeping, knock, knock” as the turndown staff made their way down the hall (and they were not all that loud, the sound just carried). If you happened to have a family group staying in a couple of rooms and the kids kept running from room to room (which has happened more often than I care to remember) it would be terrible (not sure how likely that would be here). Excluding these situations, the room "at rest" is exceptionally quiet.

Second is the room lighting. It is basically all on or all off. Absolutely nothing is dimmable (a first for a Park Hyatt???). There is a relax mode which turns off the wall sconces and the bedside “lantern” has an on/off switch. I’m still wondering if I somehow overlooked a master control panel somewhere.

but enough yammering... here are some photos of room 305. Note: This was a points stay without any status, but it looks like I still received a modest upgrade.

The 3rd floor positioning corridor to my room

Guest room corridor is pretty, but it is an echo chamber. Contrast this to the Park Hyatt Paris that has padded walls to absorb sound.

Entry door from outside

Double vanity

Very spacious wet room, but no dimmable lighting for a relaxing bath. Either bright or dark. Bring candles I guess.

Shower in wet room. Both rain shower and wall/hand held. For Rest of world great shower pressure, but just average for Japan.

The Malaysian imposter!

Entry area and mini bar

Seating area. Long side of room has the windows ... nice

Garden

Comfortable
tearex and solewalker like this.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 8, 20 at 3:37 pm
Old Dec 9, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Plat
Some attention to detail shots

Old Dec 9, 19, 5:46 pm

Some shots around hotel

Relax area in workout room

5 floor tea room

Wall projection outside elevator

6 and 7 floor rooms

Fancy restaurant

View from 4th floor (outside)

Entrance. Sadly 10 years ago that little 2 story building on the right corner was a mom and pop restaurant that I ate in. Now it just sells trinkets like every other shop in this area (or pork buns or ice cream).

Lobby

Check in

Walk to main entrance

Corridor to bathhouse

Wine and cheese offering

you might notice the arrangement on the table changed from when I arrived. Many different sites around the hotel had their arrangements changed to reflect the season.

Last edited by schriste; Dec 11, 19 at 3:03 am
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by schriste View Post
Some attention to detail shots

I have a feeling you might be in the ADA room? The last time I saw a toilet like that was at the train station or HR Kyoto when I had their disabilities room.
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Booked 4 nights here on points for April 2020 (with a confirmed suite upgrade), but Iím thinking of changing the reservation to 3 nights (and doing our first night in Kyoto at the RC instead).

For those who have stayed at the RC Kyoto before, how do they compare? Is it worth doing both? I found the RC location quite central.
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I have a feeling you might be in the ADA room? The last time I saw a toilet like that was at the train station or HR Kyoto when I had their disabilities room.
yes, there was also a plastic chair in the wet room which i removed and placed in a closet. Since this was a no status points stay I think I did pretty well all things considered. What with the toilet sensing my every thought and movement, there was little opportunity to notice the grab bars.
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:51 pm

yes, there was also a plastic chair in the wet room which i removed and placed in a closet. Since this was a no status points stay I think I did pretty well all things considered. What with the toilet sensing my every thought and movement, there was little opportunity to notice the grab bars.
I think it's still a very beautiful room. It looks fairly nornal to me besides the toilet and rails by the tub.

HR Kyoto's bathtub/shower combo was quite uncomfortable to use.
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I think it's still a very beautiful room. It looks fairly nornal to me besides the toilet and rails by the tub..
Yes not obvious at all. I actually rather liked the grab rail in the wet room as it was stylish and well... let’s face it, one slip in a bathtub could ruin your life.

wonder if ADA rooms don’t have dimmable lights for some reason. Still can’t get over that.

If I were wheelchair bound I have no idea how I would maneuver past the chairs, daybed, table to get to the bed.

Last edited by schriste; Dec 11, 19 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:14 pm

Yes not obvious at all. I actually rather liked the grab rail in the wet room as it was stylish and well... letís face it, one slip in a bathtub could ruin your life.

wonder if ADA rooms donít have dimmable lights for some reason. Still canít get over that.
I think you're right about the lights. I remember being annoyed at HR Jersey City about that.
Old Dec 10, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Just finished a two-day stay here. As stated before, the hard product stunning and among one of the sleekest hotels i've been to. I did two nights at PH and two nights at Suiran, but PH is just miles ahead of Suiran in terms of decor, no doubt about it. (Though Suiran's location near the Katsura River and Arashiyama give it the better 'environment', IMO).

Japanese Breakfast (which I know is not for everyone) was among the best we've had, definitely better than similar offerings at Suiran or Prince Gallery Tokyo.

We originally had a King Garden room but we switched rooms on the second night to a Twin Deluxe View room (701), which was one of the larger non-suite rooms with a fantastic view of Kyoto. I wouldn't hesitate to take that if you booked a king room and no king upgrades were available on check-in.

I regret doing PH/Suiran instead of PH/Ritz but oh well. We had a walk through the Ritz and were impressed at the decor though I didn't get to see the guestrooms. That being said, Kyoto has had such a massive expansion of luxury hotels in recent years (Ritz, PH, Four Seasons, Aman) that we're all a bit spoiled for choice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: