Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 28, 19, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
I'm rather enjoying my experience though, this is my first time staying in a hotel that has been open for less than a month and all the little failures have been a pretty interesting experience.
To be fair, I'd expect significant teething issues at any property for at least the first 3 months after opening, and would generally avoid staying during the first 6 or even 12 months, esp. for luxury.

I opened many properties during my time working in the hospitality industry, and it's not fun even when fully staffed (which PH Kyoto does not appear to be).
Old Nov 28, 19, 4:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
To be fair, I'd expect significant teething issues at any property for at least the first 3 months after opening, and would generally avoid staying during the first 6 or even 12 months, esp. for luxury.

I opened many properties during my time working in the hospitality industry, and it's not fun even when fully staffed (which PH Kyoto does not appear to be).
Japanese skilled labor shortages shining through. I've been through enough teething issues and openings to stay far away from them.
Old Nov 28, 19, 4:42 am

I recently stayed at both the PH Kyoto & the Ritz Kyoto.

First, the taxis don't know where this hotel is located. I even showed the japanese name and address (from the Hyatt app) to the driver and he just ignored it. The taxis all have what looks to be GPS units, I don't understand why the driver couldn't just input in the address. Anyway, he kept saying "hyatt" and I would reply, "NO - Park Hyatt" and he finally called someone for info. When we got close to the hotel, he drove past it to a dead end, and then had to ask someone on the street where the hotel was. (This was 9pm at night.) The fare from Kyoto Station ended up being 2K yen due to all these issues, but I just paid it since it was late and I was tired. But I did think, why didn't you just input the address into your GPS... This isn't the hotel's fault of course.

I agree that the rooms feel small. I was in a King Terrace room (booked on points at the last minute, all higher categories sold out). I enjoyed the balcony, and the ability to get fresh air. The Ritz carlton has larger rooms, and I preferred their bathroom. However, the PH room felt "fresher" and I liked the beautiful wood furniture & decorations.

The PH Japanese breakfast is great, better than the Japanese breakfast at the Ritz Kyoto. It is catered by the >300 yr kaiseki restaurant right by the hotel. For my next stay, I'd definitely want to have dinner at the restaurant based on the quality of the breakfast!

The western continental buffet is also decent quality. However, I wasn't impressed with the hot cooked to order dishes for the full western breakfast. If breakfast is included, choose the Japanese breakfast. If paying, I would just get the continental buffet. You get a nice selection of fresh juice, good quality croissants/pastries, nice fruit, smoked salmon, cold cuts, cheese, etc.

The Ritz has one of the top western hotel breakfasts (in my experience). Unlimited Pierre Hermes isaphan (& other) croissants! Also, a fabulous french toast (Pierre Hermes recipe), and perfect eggs benedict. I would choose the western breakfast at the Ritz.

Location wise, both are fine. I personally really liked the PH location, though it is a bit harder to get in & out of, due to being in the middle of a very busy tourist area.

The Ritz clearly has better service right now, but given the PH is brand new, this isn't a fair comparison. For example, at luxury hotels, I expect the room to be cleaned (as long as the do not disturb light is off) if the room is empty for 1-2 hrs, even if the "clean room" light isn't specifically turned on. The Ritz did this for both daily & turn down service. The PH just came by the room in late afternoon when I briefly had the DND light on, slipped a note, and never came back. I left ~30 min later for 2-3 hrs, and the room wasn't cleaned. It wasn't an issue for this trip. But, at hotels of this caliber, I'd expect them to pro-actively monitor the rooms and clean it whenever the guest is outside. That said, the hotel is new, and I imagine the service levels will significantly improve with time.

Last edited by paynea; Nov 28, 19 at 4:50 am
Old Nov 28, 19, 4:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
If they wanted to slowly "ramp up", they should have picked a different time of year to open. I would wager that in Kyoto November has the highest hotel occupancy rate of any calendar month.

And if they are short of experienced staff, they might have delayed the start of their afternoon tea until they were better on their feet. They could also have limited the number of rooms available for a while to ensure that guests do not have to wait 2-3 hours past stated checkin time to finally get their room. I'm sure that this is pissing off the many Japanese guests who stay just one night!

I think it looks like they got too greedy for their own good.

It is telling that on the PH Kyoto website, the Reviews page says that "50% (of guests) would recommend our property".
Old Nov 28, 19, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
If they wanted to slowly "ramp up", they should have picked a different time of year to open. I would wager that in Kyoto November has the highest hotel occupancy rate of any calendar month.

And if they are short of experienced staff, they might have delayed the start of their afternoon tea until they were better on their feet. They could also have limited the number of rooms available for a while to ensure that guests do not have to wait 2-3 hours past stated checkin time to finally get their room. I'm sure that this is pissing off the many Japanese guests who stay just one night!

It is telling that on the PH Kyoto website, the Reviews page says that "50% (of guests) would recommend our property".
They definitely got greedy. This is also the time they can charge the most besides Sakura season.
Old Nov 28, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ G, WoH Glob, SHL Diamond
I stayed here for four nights this week. I think my room was a King Bed View Deluxe .I liked it and it was in line with the general design of the hotel which is very zen and beautiful. Breakfast was outstanding and the location is perfect for tourist purposes. I didn't experience any of the service issues that others have reported - must have gotten lucky!
Old Nov 28, 19, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat

Yeah, I think it's quite clear they perhaps weren't ready but wanted to capitalize on the busy season.

That said, I do see potential. Hire some qualified staff, fix the tea situation, do something with the lounge on the 5th floor (a complete waste of space right now!), maybe offer some kind of cocktail hour, and they could be rolling. I really don't have anything negative to say about the hard product. Just noticed today all the paper in room is made of Washi which I thought was a nice touch.

I went for the western breakfast today and do agree it is lacking. Would probably opt for the Japanese breakfast unless I was in a rush. Would rank it way below PH Tokyo, Andaz Tokyo and Centric Ginza in terms of selection.
Old Nov 28, 19, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
I went for the western breakfast today and do agree it is lacking. Would probably opt for the Japanese breakfast unless I was in a rush. Would rank it way below PH Tokyo, Andaz Tokyo and Centric Ginza in terms of selection.
The current Centric Ginza? Because I've heard reports that their breakfast has gone way downhill since opening.
Old Nov 28, 19, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
The current Centric Ginza? Because I've heard reports that their breakfast has gone way downhill since opening.
Haven't noticed a huge difference. Certainly the selection there is still better than what's currently offered at PH Kyoto.
Old Nov 29, 19, 1:55 am

I finished up my four night stay yesterday. A couple more issues that are worth noting (some outside of the staff's control):
  • Ventilation for rooms don't seem very good. Someone was smoking in a potentially adjoining room and we could smell it.
  • There are a lot of smokers at this hotel. There's a small outdoor area that connects the main guest room building with the main building. I'm not sure if it's allowed there or not, but we had to walk by that area a handful of times through people's smoke.
  • We asked for a taxi at the front desk. It seems like if there is not one waiting, staff have to run out to the main thoroughfare to grab one, but there is usually only one staff member at the entrance so there can be a lot of miscommunications. In my particular scenario there were 2 cabs waiting to pick other people up, but since the driveway was small anytime another taxi or car came by they would have to play Tetris to move the cars around. This also meant that our taxi request was forgotten and they didn't run out to hail one until we asked what was taking so long.
Anyways, we were planning on coming back to Kyoto in the Spring and already have some nights booked at the PH, but we are considering just going back to the Regency. The soft product at the Regency has been far superior in our experience and I don't feel like any difference in the hard product is really worth the inconvenience.
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:41 pm

I’ve read quite a few comparisons to the RC, how does this hotel compare to the FS?
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
I’ve read quite a few comparisons to the RC, how does this hotel compare to the FS?
I have not stayed at the PH yet but will update next month when I do. Based on pictures posted in this thread, I think the decor and general style are similar. I stayed in the 1BR residence at FS (ugpraded from Exec Suite) and my main complaint was that the room felt a bit small and was also furnished very cozily. The PH rooms look similarly tight, although it's difficult to know for sure from pictures.

Service at the FS was excellent. Pre-arrival, the concierge responded within 24 hours every single time. I did visit in slow season (Jan) but the property was simply serene. I saw maybe a dozen other guests my entire time I was there. Wonder if the afternoon tea situation at the PH will calm down over time.
Old Nov 29, 19, 7:58 pm

I have not stayed at the PH yet but will update next month when I do. Based on pictures posted in this thread, I think the decor and general style are similar. I stayed in the 1BR residence at FS (ugpraded from Exec Suite) and my main complaint was that the room felt a bit small and was also furnished very cozily. The PH rooms look similarly tight, although it's difficult to know for sure from pictures.

Service at the FS was excellent. Pre-arrival, the concierge responded within 24 hours every single time. I did visit in slow season (Jan) but the property was simply serene. I saw maybe a dozen other guests my entire time I was there. Wonder if the afternoon tea situation at the PH will calm down over time.
The suite must be small if the residence was cozy.
Old Nov 29, 19, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Of course, of the PH, RC, and FS, the FS has the least foot traffic in the immediate area (unless you count all the schoolgirls). The PH faces Ninenzaka, one of the most heavily pedestrian-traffiked areas in the city. Add to that the fact that the PH is actively working to attract non-guest clientele to the Bistro and the Afternoon Tea, and it is not surprising that the serenity of some of the public areas suffers.

Afternoon Tea at upscale hotels continues to be an incredibly popular trend in Japan (the HR has also started an Afternoon Tea), so I would expect the PH Living Room and lobby to be extremely busy on Sundays and holidays for the foreseeable future; hopefully a bit less on weekdays unless it catches on with the Asian instagramers. One problem that often occurs with hotels' afternoon tea is that when it is busy the customers waiting for an afternoon tea seating take up seating in the lobby, so there is no place for guests checking in to sit if they have to wait for their room.

We're checking in tomorrow for a 2-night stay and I'll report back on what the lobby situation is like on a Sunday afternoon.
Old Nov 29, 19, 11:29 pm

Of course, of the PH, RC, and FS, the FS has the least foot traffic in the immediate area (unless you count all the schoolgirls). The PH faces Ninenzaka, one of the most heavily pedestrian-traffiked areas in the city. Add to that the fact that the PH is actively working to attract non-guest clientele to the Bistro and the Afternoon Tea, and it is not surprising that the serenity of some of the public areas suffers.

Afternoon Tea at upscale hotels continues to be an incredibly popular trend in Japan (the HR has also started an Afternoon Tea), so I would expect the PH Living Room and lobby to be extremely busy on Sundays and holidays for the foreseeable future; hopefully a bit less on weekdays unless it catches on with the Asian instagramers. One problem that often occurs with hotels' afternoon tea is that when it is busy the customers waiting for an afternoon tea seating take up seating in the lobby, so there is no place for guests checking in to sit if they have to wait for their room.

We're checking in tomorrow for a 2-night stay and I'll report back on what the lobby situation is like on a Sunday afternoon.
It seemed to me there were also many non-tea guests conducting business meetings and such at the hotel. It appears to be somewhat of an upscale local hotspot.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: