Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 24, 19, 3:13 pm
  #361  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,490
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Every issue brought up about this property so far seems to suggest they are drastically understaffed. Seems like they should start by hiring more people.
Yeah, I'm at 5+ days now for concierge responses. Hope your stay goes well, though!
invalyd likes this.
gengar is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:30 am
  #362  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Will definitely report back. I'm not familiar with the physical layout of the property, but PH Tokyo does a good job of keeping non-staying visitors out of the way as there are direct elevators to the Manhattan Bar, I fear that is not really an option here if they continue to push the afternoon tea as a revenue stream.
There were a fair number of tea patrons today, unsure if they were staying guests or walk ins. Seems like they seat tea guests in the inner area while people waiting to check in are generally placed at the seats near reception. Itís pretty easy to spot the difference since the tea patrons generally seem pretty happy while the hotel guests all look angry

The lobby does get fairly chaotic with a large amount of foot traffic.
keykoo is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:30 am
  #363  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,149
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
There were a fair number of tea patrons today, unsure if they were staying guests or walk ins. Seems like they seat tea guests in the inner area while people waiting to check in are generally placed at the seats near reception. Itís pretty easy to spot the difference since the tea patrons generally seem pretty happy while the hotel guests all look angry

The lobby does get fairly chaotic with a large amount of foot traffic.
The lobby sounds almost too small?
Aventine is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:23 am
  #364  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,490
Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
The lobby sounds almost too small?
I have no idea how big the lobby is, but past posts describe it as an open area that includes seating for the afternoon tea. In this case, the layout/design could be the issue.

For example, in a vacuum, I probably wouldn't describe the Pen Tokyo lobby as small - but the layout is an absolute disaster. I wonder if it's a similar situation here.
gengar is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:21 am
  #365  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 19
I think the lobby is a reasonably sized. There's a partial wall that divides the reception area from the "lounge" portion of the lobby. If you were to view the divider wall as separating the room horizontally, the main pathway separates the room vertically. This makes each section seem really small and a decent amount of foot traffic walks right through the middle of it all.
keykoo is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:54 am
  #366  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hsinchu, Taiwan
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold
Posts: 52
I just had my stay on the 23,24 and I could see a problem if they can't check the guests in quick enough. If I recall, the Lobby has probably 3 seating areas and total 9-12 chairs, which probably can accommodate 3-4 families during check in. If there are no customers in the living room (tea area), then you can sit there, again the only thing separating the tea and the lobby (small) is a divider with 2 walk paths.

They have a tea lounge unattended on the 5 floor which has plenty of seating but only serves water (as of 11.24), but you don't have access unless you have a room key card, so they will have to bring you up (don't think they would do that and rather have you come back later). It's better just to leave your luggage and go site seeing and come back later, or just grab a quite bite at Kyoto Bistro (fairly priced in that area).

I see there would be a problem because the majority of the rooms are at the separate building which requires crossing a bridge and switching elevators when they bring you from the front desk to your room, lots of walk and going up and down for the staff. I wouldn't call them understaffed, it's just what it is, if a problem occurs, like a key card not working, or they need to bring food up or something, the staff needs to walk or wait for the elevator.

The wait is mainly caused by elites late checkout and there aren't many rooms, so not much they can do, unless they can opt out like Cosmopolitan LV and give only 1-2 pm check out.
justned is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 12:34 pm
  #367  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Hsinchu, Taiwan
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold
Posts: 52
some photos

1

Tea Lounge on the 5th Floor


2

Gym 1

Gym 2

Gym 3



3

Locker room before entering bath/spa area

bathing area

Japanese style washing area (2 of them)

Steam room 1

Steam room 2

4

View from 5th floor next to elevator before tea lounge area

water in tea lounge

The basic room is big enough, I don't think I would pay for an upgrade. The Yasaka tower you can see it on the 5th floor windows next to the elevator, don't think I would pay for the view either, that is my opinion of course.

The twin beds in the room are quite small compared to my other stays at Suiran/Ritz, it might be tight for an adult + child, don't think they have room for a rollaway bed, so you might have to buy up a bigger room.




twin bed room
justned is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 12:55 pm
  #368  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,266
Has anyone stayed in or seen Higashiyama house? I've only found one picture on the web site and am looking for more information.
richarddd is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:49 pm
  #369  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 19
Iím actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff donít use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
keykoo is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:50 pm
  #370  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 145
Originally Posted by richarddd View Post
Has anyone stayed in or seen Higashiyama house? I've only found one picture on the web site and am looking for more information.

I will be staying in that room on the 1st happy to post some pics and a video to YouTube.
ghzhammer is online now  
Old Nov 25, 19, 3:50 pm
  #371  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,266
Originally Posted by ghzhammer View Post
I will be staying in that room on the 1st happy to post some pics and a video to YouTube.
That would be much appreciated.
richarddd is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 7:39 pm
  #372  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,149
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
Iím actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff donít use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
I believe PH Busan, Seoul, and Tokyo cleans the same way. Maybe a brand standard?
Aventine is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 10:55 pm
  #373  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,223
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
Iím actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff donít use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
Wow, that is really absurd and borderline unacceptable for a property of this level. In contrast, this morning while checked in at Conrad Tokyo I went for a brief walk and my room was serviced within the hour I was gone without any prompting.
invalyd is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:16 pm
  #374  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,850
Originally Posted by keykoo View Post
Iím actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff donít use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
The late cleaning is certainly dismaying. The hotel does not even seem to be full. Hyatt.com is showing at least 4 rooms available today.

That cleaning style works exceptionally well at PH Tokyo. It means guests never have to maneuver around carts in the hallway and the cleaning staff is completely unobtrusive.

Actually I would expect the room to be fully serviced twice daily, as it is at PH Tokyo, especially since rates (at least for base level rooms) at PH Kyoto seem to average double (or even more!) those at PH Tokyo.
invalyd likes this.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Nov 25, 19, 11:37 pm
  #375  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,149
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
The late cleaning is certainly dismaying. The hotel does not even seem to be full. Hyatt.com is showing at least 4 rooms available today.

That cleaning style works exceptionally well at PH Tokyo. It means guests never have to maneuver around carts in the hallway and the cleaning staff is completely unobtrusive.

Actually I would expect the room to be fully serviced twice daily, as it is at PH Tokyo, especially since rates (at least for base level rooms) at PH Kyoto seem to average double (or even more!) those at PH Tokyo.
And the GM is the former hotel manager from PH Tokyo.
Aventine is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: