Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by invalyd
Every issue brought up about this property so far seems to suggest they are drastically understaffed. Seems like they should start by hiring more people.
Yeah, I'm at 5+ days now for concierge responses. Hope your stay goes well, though!
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
Will definitely report back. I'm not familiar with the physical layout of the property, but PH Tokyo does a good job of keeping non-staying visitors out of the way as there are direct elevators to the Manhattan Bar, I fear that is not really an option here if they continue to push the afternoon tea as a revenue stream.
There were a fair number of tea patrons today, unsure if they were staying guests or walk ins. Seems like they seat tea guests in the inner area while people waiting to check in are generally placed at the seats near reception. It’s pretty easy to spot the difference since the tea patrons generally seem pretty happy while the hotel guests all look angry

The lobby does get fairly chaotic with a large amount of foot traffic.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by keykoo
There were a fair number of tea patrons today, unsure if they were staying guests or walk ins. Seems like they seat tea guests in the inner area while people waiting to check in are generally placed at the seats near reception. It’s pretty easy to spot the difference since the tea patrons generally seem pretty happy while the hotel guests all look angry

The lobby does get fairly chaotic with a large amount of foot traffic.
The lobby sounds almost too small?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Aventine
The lobby sounds almost too small?
I have no idea how big the lobby is, but past posts describe it as an open area that includes seating for the afternoon tea. In this case, the layout/design could be the issue.

For example, in a vacuum, I probably wouldn't describe the Pen Tokyo lobby as small - but the layout is an absolute disaster. I wonder if it's a similar situation here.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:21 am

I think the lobby is a reasonably sized. There's a partial wall that divides the reception area from the "lounge" portion of the lobby. If you were to view the divider wall as separating the room horizontally, the main pathway separates the room vertically. This makes each section seem really small and a decent amount of foot traffic walks right through the middle of it all.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
I just had my stay on the 23,24 and I could see a problem if they can't check the guests in quick enough. If I recall, the Lobby has probably 3 seating areas and total 9-12 chairs, which probably can accommodate 3-4 families during check in. If there are no customers in the living room (tea area), then you can sit there, again the only thing separating the tea and the lobby (small) is a divider with 2 walk paths.

They have a tea lounge unattended on the 5 floor which has plenty of seating but only serves water (as of 11.24), but you don't have access unless you have a room key card, so they will have to bring you up (don't think they would do that and rather have you come back later). It's better just to leave your luggage and go site seeing and come back later, or just grab a quite bite at Kyoto Bistro (fairly priced in that area).

I see there would be a problem because the majority of the rooms are at the separate building which requires crossing a bridge and switching elevators when they bring you from the front desk to your room, lots of walk and going up and down for the staff. I wouldn't call them understaffed, it's just what it is, if a problem occurs, like a key card not working, or they need to bring food up or something, the staff needs to walk or wait for the elevator.

The wait is mainly caused by elites late checkout and there aren't many rooms, so not much they can do, unless they can opt out like Cosmopolitan LV and give only 1-2 pm check out.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond
some photos

Tea Lounge on the 5th Floor

Gym 1

Gym 2

Gym 3

Locker room before entering bath/spa area

bathing area

Japanese style washing area (2 of them)

Steam room 1

Steam room 2

View from 5th floor next to elevator before tea lounge area

water in tea lounge

The basic room is big enough, I don't think I would pay for an upgrade. The Yasaka tower you can see it on the 5th floor windows next to the elevator, don't think I would pay for the view either, that is my opinion of course.

The twin beds in the room are quite small compared to my other stays at Suiran/Ritz, it might be tight for an adult + child, don't think they have room for a rollaway bed, so you might have to buy up a bigger room.

twin bed room
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:55 pm

Has anyone stayed in or seen Higashiyama house? I've only found one picture on the web site and am looking for more information.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:49 pm

I’m actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff don’t use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
Has anyone stayed in or seen Higashiyama house? I've only found one picture on the web site and am looking for more information.

I will be staying in that room on the 1st happy to post some pics and a video to YouTube.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ghzhammer
I will be staying in that room on the 1st happy to post some pics and a video to YouTube.
That would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m actually not convinced by problems are caused solely by elite checkouts. My room had still not been serviced when we returned around 5pm. They had all day to clean it which leads me to believe that understaffing is at least partially responsible.

I also noticed that the cleaning staff don’t use carts or anything and only care tote bags with their supplies. They seem to need to return to the back to empty out trash and resupply after each room.
I believe PH Busan, Seoul, and Tokyo cleans the same way. Maybe a brand standard?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Wow, that is really absurd and borderline unacceptable for a property of this level. In contrast, this morning while checked in at Conrad Tokyo I went for a brief walk and my room was serviced within the hour I was gone without any prompting.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA

The late cleaning is certainly dismaying. The hotel does not even seem to be full. Hyatt.com is showing at least 4 rooms available today.

That cleaning style works exceptionally well at PH Tokyo. It means guests never have to maneuver around carts in the hallway and the cleaning staff is completely unobtrusive.

Actually I would expect the room to be fully serviced twice daily, as it is at PH Tokyo, especially since rates (at least for base level rooms) at PH Kyoto seem to average double (or even more!) those at PH Tokyo.
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The late cleaning is certainly dismaying. The hotel does not even seem to be full. Hyatt.com is showing at least 4 rooms available today.

That cleaning style works exceptionally well at PH Tokyo. It means guests never have to maneuver around carts in the hallway and the cleaning staff is completely unobtrusive.

Actually I would expect the room to be fully serviced twice daily, as it is at PH Tokyo, especially since rates (at least for base level rooms) at PH Kyoto seem to average double (or even more!) those at PH Tokyo.
And the GM is the former hotel manager from PH Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.